How rich can you get in big law?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
CanIGetAnAmen
Posts: 159
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:42 am

How rich can you get in big law?

Postby CanIGetAnAmen » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:10 am

Numbers brahs.

User avatar
chuckbass
Posts: 9957
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:29 pm

Re: How rich can you get in big law?

Postby chuckbass » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:13 am

Google brah.

CanIGetAnAmen
Posts: 159
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:42 am

Re: How rich can you get in big law?

Postby CanIGetAnAmen » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:23 am

scotth724 wrote:Google brah.


What's the difference between a PI lawyer and lawyer who works in big law firm? Can they be the same thing?

NYstate
Posts: 1566
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:44 am

Re: How rich can you get in big law?

Postby NYstate » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:07 am

Going to law school planning to get rich is a mistake

User avatar
chuckbass
Posts: 9957
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:29 pm

Re: How rich can you get in big law?

Postby chuckbass » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:25 am

CanIGetAnAmen wrote:
scotth724 wrote:Google brah.


What's the difference between a PI lawyer and lawyer who works in big law firm? Can they be the same thing?

What? Working PI you'd make 1/4 of what a 1st year associate makes in biglaw, and if one manages to stay in biglaw, that disparity would grow over time. In regards to public/private sector pay, law is the same as any other field... You make way more in the private sector.

User avatar
guano
Posts: 2268
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:49 am

Re: How rich can you get in big law?

Postby guano » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:37 am

NYstate wrote:Going to law school planning to get rich is a mistake

To answer your question, PPP at top firms is over $2M, with the top earners making significantly more. But that's like pointing out that top actors make tens of millions per movie - sure, the superstars do, but the vast majority don't earn enough to live off

User avatar
Bronte
Posts: 2128
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:44 pm

Re: How rich can you get in big law?

Postby Bronte » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:03 am

You're getting annoying, OP. We've answered this question and its variations a number of times for you. You seem incapable of learning and retaining the most basic facts abound the legal industry.

mojangles
Posts: 197
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:39 am

Re: How rich can you get in big law?

Postby mojangles » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:12 am

Bronte wrote:You're getting annoying, OP. We've answered this question and its variations a number of times for you. You seem incapable of learning and retaining the most basic facts abound the legal industry.


idk, after reading this i just searched for other topics by OP, to be honest i got a pretty good laugh out of it all.

op, you shoulda just signed that contract with barca :wink:

PRgradBYU
Posts: 1419
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:04 pm

Re: How rich can you get in big law?

Postby PRgradBYU » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:54 pm

Image

User avatar
laotze
Posts: 242
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:55 pm

Re: How rich can you get in big law?

Postby laotze » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:20 pm

search.php?author_id=94882&sr=posts

I take it it's not possible to be banned for dedicated gag/troll accounts?

User avatar
Joe Quincy
Posts: 404
Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 10:42 am

Re: How rich can you get in big law?

Postby Joe Quincy » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:33 pm

$2,297,105.32. But not a penny more.

User avatar
Gunnar Stahl
Posts: 1085
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:57 pm

Re: How rich can you get in big law?

Postby Gunnar Stahl » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:23 pm

PRgradBYU wrote:Image

CanIGetAnAmen
Posts: 159
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:42 am

Re: How rich can you get in big law?

Postby CanIGetAnAmen » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:54 pm

mojangles wrote:
Bronte wrote:You're getting annoying, OP. We've answered this question and its variations a number of times for you. You seem incapable of learning and retaining the most basic facts abound the legal industry.


idk, after reading this i just searched for other topics by OP, to be honest i got a pretty good laugh out of it all.

op, you shoulda just signed that contract with barca :wink:


This is the second time I've posted on this forum ever.

mr.hands
Posts: 892
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:23 pm

Re: How rich can you get in big law?

Postby mr.hands » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:25 pm

CanIGetAnAmen wrote:
mojangles wrote:
Bronte wrote:You're getting annoying, OP. We've answered this question and its variations a number of times for you. You seem incapable of learning and retaining the most basic facts abound the legal industry.


idk, after reading this i just searched for other topics by OP, to be honest i got a pretty good laugh out of it all.

op, you shoulda just signed that contract with barca :wink:


This is the second time I've posted on this forum ever.


You have more than 130 posts...

PRgradBYU
Posts: 1419
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:04 pm

Re: How rich can you get in big law?

Postby PRgradBYU » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:24 pm

mr.hands wrote:
CanIGetAnAmen wrote:
mojangles wrote:
Bronte wrote:You're getting annoying, OP. We've answered this question and its variations a number of times for you. You seem incapable of learning and retaining the most basic facts abound the legal industry.


idk, after reading this i just searched for other topics by OP, to be honest i got a pretty good laugh out of it all.

op, you shoulda just signed that contract with barca :wink:


This is the second time I've posted on this forum ever.


You have more than 130 posts...


I'm guessing OP is trying to say this is the second time he's ever created a thread; but that's not true either.

User avatar
Bronte
Posts: 2128
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:44 pm

Re: How rich can you get in big law?

Postby Bronte » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:39 pm

PRgradBYU wrote:I'm guessing OP is trying to say this is the second time he's ever created a thread; but that's not true either.


And this is at least his third thread on the subject of lawyer pay:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=211837
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=209645

The last one was locked.

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: How rich can you get in big law?

Postby stillwater » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:51 pm

OP is a TTT troll.

CanIGetAnAmen
Posts: 159
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:42 am

Re: How rich can you get in big law?

Postby CanIGetAnAmen » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:32 am

How about you answer the question instead of commenting on how many threads I've made before I verbally and lyrically describe your facial aberrations.

User avatar
Typhoon24
Posts: 649
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:09 pm

Re: How rich can you get in big law?

Postby Typhoon24 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:43 am

Harvey Specter rich. You might even end up looking like him, too.

Benjamin1987
Posts: 105
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:42 am

Re: How rich can you get in big law?

Postby Benjamin1987 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:10 am

The assumption in your title that Big Law will make you rich is concerning. Even if that were a valid assumption (which it is not), coming here to inquire about the differing degrees of "rich" is absurd. Either you want to be a lawyer or you don't, friend.

CanIGetAnAmen
Posts: 159
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:42 am

Re: How rich can you get in big law?

Postby CanIGetAnAmen » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:46 am

Benjamin1987 wrote:The assumption in your title that Big Law will make you rich is concerning. Even if that were a valid assumption (which it is not), coming here to inquire about the differing degrees of "rich" is absurd. Either you want to be a lawyer or you don't, friend.


So there is no way biglaw will get you rich? So all these threads are a lie?

Okay Gandalf, I will look passed the fact that your face is no doubt the product of generations of fetal alcohol syndrome, and ask you this question: how rich can you get in big law? (yes this is the original question. Maybe answer it this time instead of running your mouth like a treadmill)

User avatar
TrialLawyer16
Posts: 287
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:43 pm

Re: How rich can you get in big law?

Postby TrialLawyer16 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:09 am

guano wrote:
NYstate wrote:Going to law school planning to get rich is a mistake

To answer your question, PPP at top firms is over $2M, with the top earners making significantly more. But that's like pointing out that top actors make tens of millions per movie - sure, the superstars do, but the vast majority don't earn enough to live off

I hate to contribute to this troll of a thread.

However, since we're on the topic.. the highest I've heard of a BigLaw partner making is in the neighborhood of $10 million per year - for the truly elite partners. Anybody ever heard of something higher?

User avatar
guano
Posts: 2268
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:49 am

Re: How rich can you get in big law?

Postby guano » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:36 pm

CanIGetAnAmen wrote:So there is no way biglaw will get you rich? So all these threads are a lie?

Depends in your definition of rich.
I mean, a first year biglaw salary already puts you in the top 10%, and most equity partners at top firms are the 1%.

CanIGetAnAmen
Posts: 159
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:42 am

Re: How rich can you get in big law?

Postby CanIGetAnAmen » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:52 am

guano wrote:
CanIGetAnAmen wrote:So there is no way biglaw will get you rich? So all these threads are a lie?

Depends in your definition of rich.
I mean, a first year biglaw salary already puts you in the top 10%, and most equity partners at top firms are the 1%.


How about you throw some numbers around Rainman?

User avatar
UVAIce
Posts: 442
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:10 pm

Re: How rich can you get in big law?

Postby UVAIce » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:37 am

Just making six figures puts you in the top 7% of salaries. Maybe not rich but certainly a substantial income in your 20s.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests