UF job destination...

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
mvonh001

UF job destination...

Postby mvonh001 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:49 pm

I started a thread in choose your lawschool, but i figured this question would be best posed in this forum.

Since the FL legal market is shit, where can one hope to get a job if they attend UF? I'm asking for the ideal placement of legal opportunity that a UF student can get - be it Big law, Clerkships, etc., and locations for these positions...

thanks

sinfiery

Re: UF job destination...

Postby sinfiery » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:47 pm

~10% work in non Florida
67% Work in Florida
Rest unemployed

Would not be surprised if the majority of those not working in Florida aren't lawyers

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school= ... b=location

mvonh001

Postby mvonh001 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:26 pm

sinfiery wrote:~10% work in non Florida
67% Work in Florida
Rest unemployed

Would not be surprised if the majority of those not working in Florida aren't lawyers

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school= ... b=location

Thanks for the data, but Im more intereted in the UF students currently on this board, what is their outlook, where are they going to be working...

Thanks though.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:34 pm

Anecdotes are way better than data

mvonh001

Postby mvonh001 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:39 pm

rad lulz wrote:Anecdotes are way better than data

IF there is data that tells me which cities people usually get jobs in then I'd be happy to see it. But i dont think there is (i could be wrong), that is why i asked for anecdotal information.

Ramius

Postby Ramius » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:50 pm

If 67% of graduates are currently working in the state of Florida, I think you can reasonably assume that they are generally going to most cities in Florida. Do more go to Gainesville, Miami, Tallahassee, or Tampa? Seems pretty irrelevant because graduates will go to all of them.

Except maybe Orlando, I hear Barry has that place on lock.

KittyLaredo

Postby KittyLaredo » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:46 pm

matthewsean85 wrote:If 67% of graduates are currently working in the state of Florida, I think you can reasonably assume that they are generally going to most cities in Florida. Do more go to Gainesville, Miami, Tallahassee, or Tampa? Seems pretty irrelevant because graduates will go to all of them.

I'm just curious, why is it that whenever someone lists cities in Florida where UF grads typically get jobs they nearly always leave off Jacksonville? It is one of the biggest cities in the state with close ties to Gainesville and UF which has a large alumni presence here.

FKASunny

Postby FKASunny » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:58 pm

ben80 wrote:
matthewsean85 wrote:If 67% of graduates are currently working in the state of Florida, I think you can reasonably assume that they are generally going to most cities in Florida. Do more go to Gainesville, Miami, Tallahassee, or Tampa? Seems pretty irrelevant because graduates will go to all of them.

I'm just curious, why is it that whenever someone lists cities in Florida where UF grads typically get jobs they nearly always leave off Jacksonville? It is one of the biggest cities in the state with close ties to Gainesville and UF which has a large alumni presence here.

I was wondering if UF publishes city-by-city data, and got this lulzy error

The reason most people leave out Jacksonville is that it's a smaller metro than Miami, Tampa, and Orlando, and Tallahassee is the state capital.

On another note, how much of a legal market does Gainesville even have?

Joe Quincy

Postby Joe Quincy » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:05 pm

Perhaps more importantly, ~60% of their grads were in firms <50 people with a median salary of $60K. $60K...keep that in mind when you decide if you can service the debt from there. Another 13% went to "business" with a median salary of $57K.

To address OP more directly, you're pretty limited to FL in general. DC is the second largest target with a grand total of 6 people. Georgia was 3rd with 4 people. Considering their rate of unemployment, surely more are trying to leave but not succeeding.

http://www.law.ufl.edu/career/graduate-employment-information/employment-statistics

mvonh001

Postby mvonh001 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:32 pm

Joe Quincy wrote:Perhaps more importantly, ~60% of their grads were in firms <50 people with a median salary of $60K. $60K...keep that in mind when you decide if you can service the debt from there. Another 13% went to "business" with a median salary of $57K.

To address OP more directly, you're pretty limited to FL in general. DC is the second largest target with a grand total of 6 people. Georgia was 3rd with 4 people. Considering their rate of unemployment, surely more are trying to leave but not succeeding.

http://www.law.ufl.edu/career/graduate-employment-information/employment-statistics

Thanks for those employment statistics.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:37 pm

Don't go to UF for big lawl

mvonh001

Postby mvonh001 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:47 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:Don't go to UF for big lawl

Believe me, its not my 1st choice, nor my goal. I just need to kill the lsat this time in October, or else I will end up there.

KittyLaredo

Postby KittyLaredo » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:01 pm

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) wrote:
The reason most people leave out Jacksonville is that it's a smaller metro than Miami, Tampa, and Orlando, and Tallahassee is the state capital.

On another note, how much of a legal market does Gainesville even have?

Well, actually Jacksonville has the largest population of all of those cities, according to the US census. Metro Area wise Jacksonville is on par with Orlando and has one of the busiest commercial ports on the East Coast. There is quite a large legal market here, and a sizable percentage of those lawyers working here are UF alumni. I just think it strange to leave Jacksonville out of a conversation about legal employment in Florida.

Populations of Florida
Ranked by Population Size

(Source: U.S. Census Bureau, Census 2010)

Florida

Jacksonville city

Miami city

Tampa city

St. Petersburg city

Orlando city

KittyLaredo

Postby KittyLaredo » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:05 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:Don't go to UF for big lawl

I can only speak for myself but I personally don't plan on going into BigLaw, and am quite happy with my choice to attend UF.

FKASunny

Postby FKASunny » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:35 pm

ben80 wrote:
Well, actually Jacksonville has the largest population of all of those cities, according to the US census. Metro Area wise Jacksonville is on par with Orlando and has one of the busiest commercial ports on the East Coast.

If you're from Jacksonville, you should know this is pretty disingenuous. Jacksonville "City" is the largest city because they incorporated the entire county. With almost 1 million fewer residents than Orlando Metro, Jacksonville is hardly "on par."

The population that happens to live within the city limits is probably the least effective way of comparing the size of markets. Jacksonville happens to consist of mainly one gigantic, consolidated government, whereas most Floridian metros are composed of many smaller cities. Hell, technically the city of San Francisco has fewer residents than Jacksonville. These are old estimates, but it shows that Jacksonville sits pretty well below Orlando but well above Sarasota.

But that's all pretty pedantic. The real question is: why are we masochistic enough to want to be lawyers in Florida?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”