Recently Graduated UT Law Student taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
timmyd
Posts: 329
Joined: Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:50 pm

Re: Recently Graduated UT Law Student taking questions

Postby timmyd » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:17 pm

I'm a transfer student this year and have a question about law journals. Obviously law review is head and shoulders above the rest but as for the other journals, are some considered more prestigious than others? I did the write on and got The Texas Review of Law and Politics...just wondering what the relative prestige of this journal is? Very excited to get the offer regardless.

mrsmartypants
Posts: 96
Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 3:29 pm

Re: Recently Graduated UT Law Student taking questions

Postby mrsmartypants » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:26 pm

Used to be that TROL and TILJ held themselves out to be the next most "prestigious" journals behind TLR, with the rest trailing behind. Not sure if that's still the case.

User avatar
philosoraptor
Posts: 708
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:49 am

Re: Recently Graduated UT Law Student taking questions

Postby philosoraptor » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:58 pm

mrsmartypants wrote:Used to be that TROL and TILJ held themselves out to be the next most "prestigious" journals behind TLR, with the rest trailing behind. Not sure if that's still the case.
Yeah, these two journals claim to be more selective and better known to employers. Doubt if it makes a huge difference. I was on TROL and had a lot more fun hanging out with TRESL people than TROL people. (Nothing against TROL in general, but it was a tad gunnerific and had a noticeable inferiority complex w/r/t TLR.)

If it makes any difference to you, timmyd, the Law and Politics journal is a right-wing publication and tends to attract a lot of vaguely obnoxious pseudo-intellectual libertarian types.

timmyd
Posts: 329
Joined: Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:50 pm

Re: Recently Graduated UT Law Student taking questions

Postby timmyd » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:43 pm

Thanks, for the info y'all. One of the reasons I asked to be looked at by The Texas Review of Law and Politics is because I am very libertarian leaning. I can truly say I am passionate about my political beliefs which I believe will make writing notes/comments much more bearable.

nonprofit-prophet
Posts: 844
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:10 am

Re: Recently Graduated UT Law Student taking questions

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:46 pm

timmyd wrote:Thanks, for the info y'all. One of the reasons I asked to be looked at by The Texas Review of Law and Politics is because I am very libertarian leaning. I can truly say I am passionate about my political beliefs which I believe will make writing notes/comments much more bearable.


Most people just use their seminar paper as their note. You have to take a seminar to graduate anyway.

timmyd
Posts: 329
Joined: Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:50 pm

Re: Recently Graduated UT Law Student taking questions

Postby timmyd » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:47 pm

Oh...I was not aware you could do that...either way the more writing experience the better.

bimmer11
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:05 pm

Re: Recently Graduated UT Law Student taking questions

Postby bimmer11 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:48 am

nonprofit-prophet wrote:
TheJanitor6203 wrote:Thanks for the fast response.

Also, forgot to ask could anyone say about where one needs to place in the class for the "Texas big law" jobs in Dallas like Jackson Walker and Looper Reed?


It's tough to say where you need to be, since so much of it comes down to personality. Top 25% should be an ok spot to be in for a firm job in Dallas. Houston is a bit easier to crack, especially for non-texans.


So would being around median be a deal breaker? Or can personality and/or having very strong ties to DFW bridge that 25% gap?

I've read (not sure how much is fact) that going to UVA or a similar school and coming back is easier to do from median and below. I was planning on doing Early Action to UT but since they changed it to binding this year, I'm rethinking my application process. Thanks for the advice.

ETA: UT is by far my #1 choice, I just want to make sure I have some slack if needed (if that's even possible).

Stache
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:35 am

Re: Recently Graduated UT Law Student taking questions

Postby Stache » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:50 am

Anyone with info on Blinkova for legal writing or Robertson for torts?

Great thread, thanks everyone!

nonprofit-prophet
Posts: 844
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:10 am

Re: Recently Graduated UT Law Student taking questions

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:57 am

Stache wrote:Anyone with info on Blinkova for legal writing or Robertson for torts?

Great thread, thanks everyone!


Robertson is great. You really don't need a supplement since his textbook is so great. Make sure you study the notes section in each chapter. His exams focus on where the law is going, not where it is, so many of the questions come straight from the notes.

User avatar
philosoraptor
Posts: 708
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:49 am

Re: Recently Graduated UT Law Student taking questions

Postby philosoraptor » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:02 am

bimmer11 wrote:So would being around median be a deal breaker? Or can personality and/or having very strong ties to DFW bridge that 25% gap?

I've read (not sure how much is fact) that going to UVA or a similar school and coming back is easier to do from median and below. I was planning on doing Early Action to UT but since they changed it to binding this year, I'm rethinking my application process. Thanks for the advice.

ETA: UT is by far my #1 choice, I just want to make sure I have some slack if needed (if that's even possible).
I'm no expert, but I would think that it's such a buyer's market right now that it wouldn't make sense to do binding ED anywhere. Applications are way down, so schools will be throwing cash at 0Ls to keep their numbers up.

From what I can tell, plenty of c/o 2013 and 2014 people with ties did fine in DFW (or Houston) as long as they were above median.

User avatar
philosoraptor
Posts: 708
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:49 am

Re: Recently Graduated UT Law Student taking questions

Postby philosoraptor » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:18 am

nonprofit-prophet wrote:
Stache wrote:Anyone with info on Blinkova for legal writing or Robertson for torts?

Great thread, thanks everyone!


Robertson is great. You really don't need a supplement since his textbook is so great. Make sure you study the notes section in each chapter. His exams focus on where the law is going, not where it is, so many of the questions come straight from the notes.
+1 to this. Robertson was by far my favorite prof at UT. Did three classes, a seminar, and an independent study with him. An excellent writer and teacher of writing.

As nonprofit said, he presents everything really straightforwardly, so no need to do much beyond the materials he gives you. But he's one of the few whose LR articles it can actually be helpful to read, if you feel like it. For his torts exam, it was really helpful to put together a short "attack" outline focusing on the points he emphasized in class.

Chaucer1343
Posts: 199
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:22 pm

Re: Recently Graduated UT Law Student taking questions

Postby Chaucer1343 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:12 pm

Are there any places to easily get hot water in the law school building? (for instant coffee/tea)

User avatar
Longhorn88
Posts: 154
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:40 am

Re: Recently Graduated UT Law Student taking questions

Postby Longhorn88 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:57 pm

mediocrity wrote:Any thoughts on Cross for torts?



You lucked out, he's awesome.


TheJanitor6203 wrote:Thanks for the fast response.

Also, forgot to ask could anyone say about where one needs to place in the class for the "Texas big law" jobs in Dallas like Jackson Walker and Looper Reed?


50% to get a screener


timmyd wrote:I'm a transfer student this year and have a question about law journals. Obviously law review is head and shoulders above the rest but as for the other journals, are some considered more prestigious than others?


No not really, after TLR it really just comes down to specialties. TROL people do tend to have an inferiority complex and try to prop themselves up as the #2 journal. I don't think anyone else really cares though.

Chaucer1343 wrote:Are there any places to easily get hot water in the law school building? (for instant coffee/tea)


Yes, George's (or whatever they're calling it now) in the basement or the kiosk in the foyer will normally fill your thermos for you.

User avatar
TheJanitor6203
Posts: 811
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:12 pm

Re: Recently Graduated UT Law Student taking questions

Postby TheJanitor6203 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:09 pm

philosoraptor wrote:
mrsmartypants wrote:Used to be that TROL and TILJ held themselves out to be the next most "prestigious" journals behind TLR, with the rest trailing behind. Not sure if that's still the case.
Yeah, these two journals claim to be more selective and better known to employers. Doubt if it makes a huge difference. I was on TROL and had a lot more fun hanging out with TRESL people than TROL people. (Nothing against TROL in general, but it was a tad gunnerific and had a noticeable inferiority complex w/r/t TLR.)

If it makes any difference to you, timmyd, the Law and Politics journal is a right-wing publication and tends to attract a lot of vaguely obnoxious pseudo-intellectual libertarian types.

Sounds like my kind of people.

User avatar
TheJanitor6203
Posts: 811
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:12 pm

Re: Recently Graduated UT Law Student taking questions

Postby TheJanitor6203 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:14 pm

I think a similar version of this has been asked but I'll do it anyways..

With a 3.29 LDAS GPA what would y'all say I need to score on the LSAT? I've heard that UT is a "GPA whore." I'm a veteran which will help some hopefully. Does anyone know if there is any noticable bump for veterans? And I can apply EA if that will improve my odds.

Edit: I scored a 159 on the Feb LSAT and I'm retaking in October and I think I should be able to score a 165+.

User avatar
WokeUpInACar
Posts: 5513
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:11 pm

Re: Recently Graduated UT Law Student taking questions

Postby WokeUpInACar » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:40 pm

TheJanitor6203 wrote:I think a similar version of this has been asked but I'll do it anyways..

With a 3.29 LDAS GPA what would y'all say I need to score on the LSAT? I've heard that UT is a "GPA whore." I'm a veteran which will help some hopefully. Does anyone know if there is any noticable bump for veterans? And I can apply EA if that will improve my odds.

Edit: I scored a 159 on the Feb LSAT and I'm retaking in October and I think I should be able to score a 165+.

EA IMO will have very little effect, as they didn't really seem to accept any splitters that early last cycle despite letting tons in later in the cycle. UT has softened their GPA requirements considerably the last few years. 3-4 years ago they had a pretty damn hard 3.5 GPA floor, but they accepted quite a few 3.0-3.3 splitters this year, and gave most of them scholarships (myself included). The LSAT you need will be pretty dependent on being a Texas resident. If you are in-state, I think a 167 will eventually get you accepted, but you might have to wait until April or May. 168+ would make you very nearly a lock to get in. Out of state is a whole different ballgame and I'd advise you to move to Texas and work for a year to establish residency, or else UT will almost certainly be prohibitively expensive for you to attend.

User avatar
Longhorn88
Posts: 154
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:40 am

Re: Recently Graduated UT Law Student taking questions

Postby Longhorn88 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:55 pm

TheJanitor6203 wrote:I think a similar version of this has been asked but I'll do it anyways..

With a 3.29 LDAS GPA what would y'all say I need to score on the LSAT? I've heard that UT is a "GPA whore." I'm a veteran which will help some hopefully. Does anyone know if there is any noticable bump for veterans? And I can apply EA if that will improve my odds.

Edit: I scored a 159 on the Feb LSAT and I'm retaking in October and I think I should be able to score a 165+.


As mentioned, 3 years ago (when I applied) I got in off WL w/ a 172/3.4. With a 3.3 you'd probably need at least low 170's.

That said, with applications #'s so low, it's a crapshoot now.

User avatar
TheJanitor6203
Posts: 811
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:12 pm

Re: Recently Graduated UT Law Student taking questions

Postby TheJanitor6203 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:15 pm

Longhorn88 wrote:
TheJanitor6203 wrote:I think a similar version of this has been asked but I'll do it anyways..

With a 3.29 LDAS GPA what would y'all say I need to score on the LSAT? I've heard that UT is a "GPA whore." I'm a veteran which will help some hopefully. Does anyone know if there is any noticable bump for veterans? And I can apply EA if that will improve my odds.

Edit: I scored a 159 on the Feb LSAT and I'm retaking in October and I think I should be able to score a 165+.


As mentioned, 3 years ago (when I applied) I got in off WL w/ a 172/3.4. With a 3.3 you'd probably need at least low 170's.

That said, with applications #'s so low, it's a crapshoot now.

This is heart breaking.

User avatar
mg7
Posts: 237
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:15 pm

Re: Recently Graduated UT Law Student taking questions

Postby mg7 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:45 am

Just saying.. but I was admitted this past January with a 3.4 and a 167.

mediocrity
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 6:28 pm

Re: Recently Graduated UT Law Student taking questions

Postby mediocrity » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:30 am

Longhorn88 wrote:
You lucked out, he's awesome.



Sent you a PM about Cross.

User avatar
ajclark1992
Posts: 103
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:21 pm

Re: Recently Graduated UT Law Student taking questions

Postby ajclark1992 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:57 am

mediocrity wrote:
Longhorn88 wrote:
You lucked out, he's awesome.



Sent you a PM about Cross.


Want to CC me on the exchange?

utlaw2007
Posts: 783
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:49 pm

Re: Recently Graduated UT Law Student taking questions

Postby utlaw2007 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:44 pm

TheJanitor6203 wrote:I think a similar version of this has been asked but I'll do it anyways..

With a 3.29 LDAS GPA what would y'all say I need to score on the LSAT? I've heard that UT is a "GPA whore." I'm a veteran which will help some hopefully. Does anyone know if there is any noticable bump for veterans? And I can apply EA if that will improve my odds.

Edit: I scored a 159 on the Feb LSAT and I'm retaking in October and I think I should be able to score a 165+.


If you are a veteran, you should incorporate that into your personal statement somehow. But you have to say something very insightful. UT does place much emphasis on softs. But that really depends on the strength of the numbers from the rest of the admitted class. If the rest of the admitted class is very strong, numerically speaking, the more likely they are to place much more emphasis on your softs, namely, your personal statement. This way, they can admit someone with lower numbers who doesn't affect median numbers. But if you want them to place a lot of emphasis on your personal statement, it has to be a fantastic personal statement that is very insightful. I feel this is true because that's what happened to me. I did not have outstanding numbers. However, I wrote several addenda to showcase my writing. And I did it to have a very persuasive and compelling application. And I was admitted within days of the application deadline of Feb 1 in a very competitive year. At that time, they had reduced the seats by over 100 and had received a record number of applications.

So there is some hope. I just don't know if that is realistically obtainable for you. Each applicant is different. But for the most part, the odds are drastically against you if you don't have the numbers. Bumps are not necessarily given just because you may have a unique trait. You have to articulate it somehow, insightfully.

Edit: And I was admitted with a decent amount of money without me negotiating for it.
Last edited by utlaw2007 on Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

utlaw2007
Posts: 783
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:49 pm

Re: Recently Graduated UT Law Student taking questions

Postby utlaw2007 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:54 pm

sinfiery wrote:Good to know! As a Texan, I always want to imagine UT was more of a national school and glad it atleast can be.


I think the hit the economy has taken has had a huge impact on the difficulty of a UT Law grad finding work outside of Texas. When I was at UT, 60% of our OCI came from out of state firms. Obviously, someone who wants to work out of state but couldn't is not going to say that. So all I heard were the success stories of people seeking out of state employment. But the general impression I got was that out of state employment wasn't difficult to get if you had the grades, which usually meant about top 3rd, maybe even a bit lower pre 2008.

I have no idea if that's still true because of the economy. But my point is that the fact that it used to be true illustrates the that the UT Law brand travels outside of Texas.

User avatar
timeandspace11
Posts: 606
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:16 pm

Re: Recently Graduated UT Law Student taking questions

Postby timeandspace11 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:49 pm

I have Bracha for Contracts. Any useful supplement recommendations?

dkb17xzx
Posts: 405
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:25 pm

Re: Recently Graduated UT Law Student taking questions

Postby dkb17xzx » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:34 pm

timeandspace11 wrote:I have Bracha for Contracts. Any useful supplement recommendations?


as do I..I'm going through Chirelstein right now. it's semi-helpful




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Photomike2, SexualSalad, studyingeveryday and 3 guests