Recently Graduated UT Law Student taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
ojala

New

Re: Recently Graduated UT Law Student taking questions

Post by ojala » Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:11 pm

Still hoping to switch my spring schedule around when registrations opens up again. Any thoughts on any of the following?

Federal Courts, Young
Globalization Seminar, Sager
Supreme Court Seminar, Sager
Con Law II w/ Jinks vs. Forbath vs. Fishkin
Eminent Domain and Private Property, Ellis
Terror/Consent, Bobbitt
Business Association, Sokolow
Negotiation Fox vs. Schless

Also, general advice welcome on courses you've taken/enjoyed

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:37 am

I've heard rumors of some people not liking Sokolow's schtick but I think he's great, super solid teacher, can't imagine taking BA with anyone else

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:39 am

I know this is late notice, but does anyone know of any firms who have made offers straight out of one of the mock interviews provided for 1Ls in the past?

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:35 am

Hikikomorist wrote:I know this is late notice, but does anyone know of any firms who have made offers straight out of one of the mock interviews provided for 1Ls in the past?
I've never heard of that happening before

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:37 am

BigZuck wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:I know this is late notice, but does anyone know of any firms who have made offers straight out of one of the mock interviews provided for 1Ls in the past?
Someone mentioned it happening, but I forget who it was, and they didn't name the firm.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cannibal ox

Gold

Post by cannibal ox » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:31 pm

If there was any chance of that happening, it'd be if you had a strong connection to that firm beforehand. Since you're asking about the firms that do this, I'm guessing you don't have that kind of connection, and should therefore ignore it as a possibility.

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:43 pm

ojala wrote:Still hoping to switch my spring schedule around when registrations opens up again. Any thoughts on any of the following?

Federal Courts, Young
Globalization Seminar, Sager
Supreme Court Seminar, Sager
Con Law II w/ Jinks vs. Forbath vs. Fishkin
Eminent Domain and Private Property, Ellis
Terror/Consent, Bobbitt
Business Association, Sokolow
Negotiation Fox vs. Schless

Also, general advice welcome on courses you've taken/enjoyed
BA with Sokolow is great. He's an excellent professor and easy to understand. Reading assignments are reasonable in length. Also incredibly useful for the bar.

ellewoods817

Bronze

Post by ellewoods817 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:49 pm

Hikikomorist wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
Someone mentioned it happening, but I forget who it was, and they didn't name the firm.
Jones Day offered a 1L from a mock interview last year

rnoodles

Platinum

Post by rnoodles » Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:55 am

Anyone know anything about these profs/classes?

Contracts - Bracha
Crim - Strong
Property - Johanson
LRW (Briefs) - Eskow

Can PM if you prefer. Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:32 pm

rnoodles22 wrote:Anyone know anything about these profs/classes?

Contracts - Bracha
Crim - Strong
Property - Johanson
LRW (Briefs) - Eskow

Can PM if you prefer. Thanks!
StanJo: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 0#p7344410
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

dizzydg

New

Post by dizzydg » Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:41 pm

Hey all--I've got the following teachers for next semester. Any thoughts or advice is very much appreciated.
Hope everyone had an awesome break.

Civ Pro--Bone
Con Law--Steiker
Torts--Anderson
LRW--Petrie

Thanks!

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:55 pm

If you guys aren't getting much guidance here a forum search for distinctive names might be a good idea too (like Steiker)

cannibal ox

Gold

Post by cannibal ox » Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:12 pm

dizzydg wrote:Civ Pro--Bone
He'll send out weekly (if not more frequently) emails going over what you've covered in class, giving examples of how to apply it, answers to hypotheticals, and probably a fake conversation between him and Supreme Court justices. Read these. Don't throw them into a folder and tell yourself you'll read them during exam week. Just suck it up and take the 20 minutes to read them immediately, it'll set you up very well for his exam, which is extremely predictable.

He'll send out a ton of material, and all of it will have answers attached (or he'll send answers in a follow-up email). Try and do the questions he sends out, or at the very least go over the answers closely and make sure you're understanding everything. It's a good rehash of the material and his exam is almost identical to the types of problems he emails to the entire class. It's hard because you'll walk out of class and 20 minutes later get an 8-page email about something you JUST went over, but honestly they were the most helpful thing I used in preparing for the exam.

The exam itself isn't going to be anything tricky, he doesn't hide the ball, it'll be SMJ, JOP, something about settlements, etc. All the major issues/topics he'll cover over the semester (and he keeps them pretty separated and distinct from one another) will show up. Pay attention to his personal take on things, and it doesn't always match supplements, and you'll get some points for matching up with his way of viewing things (like Erie, for example).

I watched Freer's Civ Pro lectures on the BarBri site, which cleared some stuff up for me, but I still think doing Bone's hypos in his emails were the best prep I did.

Con Law--Steiker
A big part of his exam will be identifying quotes. Sometimes the quotes won't be from the excerpt you had in your case book. Sometimes the quotes won't be from anything you read directly, just something that was mentioned in the notes or cited in another case.

It's closed book.

Fuck this class.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:50 pm

Last edited by Hikikomorist on Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dizzydg

New

Post by dizzydg » Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:18 pm

cannibal ox wrote:
dizzydg wrote:Civ Pro--Bone
He'll send out weekly (if not more frequently) emails going over what you've covered in class, giving examples of how to apply it, answers to hypotheticals, and probably a fake conversation between him and Supreme Court justices. Read these. Don't throw them into a folder and tell yourself you'll read them during exam week. Just suck it up and take the 20 minutes to read them immediately, it'll set you up very well for his exam, which is extremely predictable.

He'll send out a ton of material, and all of it will have answers attached (or he'll send answers in a follow-up email). Try and do the questions he sends out, or at the very least go over the answers closely and make sure you're understanding everything. It's a good rehash of the material and his exam is almost identical to the types of problems he emails to the entire class. It's hard because you'll walk out of class and 20 minutes later get an 8-page email about something you JUST went over, but honestly they were the most helpful thing I used in preparing for the exam.

The exam itself isn't going to be anything tricky, he doesn't hide the ball, it'll be SMJ, JOP, something about settlements, etc. All the major issues/topics he'll cover over the semester (and he keeps them pretty separated and distinct from one another) will show up. Pay attention to his personal take on things, and it doesn't always match supplements, and you'll get some points for matching up with his way of viewing things (like Erie, for example).

I watched Freer's Civ Pro lectures on the BarBri site, which cleared some stuff up for me, but I still think doing Bone's hypos in his emails were the best prep I did.

Con Law--Steiker
A big part of his exam will be identifying quotes. Sometimes the quotes won't be from the excerpt you had in your case book. Sometimes the quotes won't be from anything you read directly, just something that was mentioned in the notes or cited in another case.

It's closed book.

Fuck this class.

This is super helpful ox (at least for Bone. Steiker test just sounds painful)-- thanks a ton. Any supplements you'd recommend for either class aside from Freer's?

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:45 pm

Chemerinsky (I misspelled that I'm sure but you'll figure it out) is the gold standard for all things Con Law.

Eta: I had a different con law prof but basically the same type of final and Ox is dead on in his assessment of that class

BasilHallward

Silver

Post by BasilHallward » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:02 pm

Any 2Ls or 3Ls have words of wisdom for this lineup?

Contracts: Kull
Crim: Dix
Con Law: Levinson

Thanks!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Poldy

Silver

Post by Poldy » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:27 pm

BigZuck wrote:Chemerinsky (I misspelled that I'm sure but you'll figure it out) is the gold standard for all things Con Law.

Eta: I had a different con law prof but basically the same type of final and Ox is dead on in his assessment of that class
That is the supplement I used and I found it very useful.

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:27 pm

Dix is entertaining, but I didn't learn very much from going to class (crim pro, not crim). I seem to recall hearing that his exam for crim is a lot like his exam for Crim Pro, and that was 200 T/F questions + 3 essays in a 3 hour time slot. To say I felt rushed the entire time is an understatement.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:51 pm

BVest wrote:Dix is entertaining, but I didn't learn very much from going to class (crim pro, not crim). I seem to recall hearing that his exam for crim is a lot like his exam for Crim Pro, and that was 200 T/F questions + 3 essays in a 3 hour time slot. To say I felt rushed the entire time is an understatement.
I had Dix for crim and I was also in your crim pro class. His crim final was multiple choice (like maybe 40 or something, not all the T/F) plus issue spotters, it didn't feel as bad to me (I also did well in crim and pooped the bed in crim pro so hindsight being 20/20 and whatnot)

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:46 pm

Dumb question: is there a volunteer-hours requirement to receive summer funding through the school?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

cannibal ox

Gold

Post by cannibal ox » Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:39 pm

dizzydg wrote:This is super helpful ox (at least for Bone. Steiker test just sounds painful)-- thanks a ton. Any supplements you'd recommend for either class aside from Freer's?
Con Law gold standard is Chemerinsky, like Zuck said.

I've heard good things about Acing Civ Pro, but I never even opened it. Bone will have enough practice problems and explanations that are spelled out very methodically that you shouldn't really need a supplement for his class. Of course, that's just my opinion, and I am a bit of an overworker/filthy striver so no worries if you don't want to take my advice. I'm sure there are ways to work less hard, but personally I thought hypos and answers from the person writing the exam would be the best way to study, even if it does take a lot of time to go through (I have 67 emails from Bone after a quick search).

Hikikomorist wrote:Dumb question: is there a volunteer-hours requirement to receive summer funding through the school?
Not as far as I know, but I also didn't apply for summer funding. Email CSO and find out for sure.

The one thing I do know is that there's a pretty strict deadline for applying for the funding, something like the end of March? It'll come up fast and you have to have a qualifying job secured by the time you apply, so be aware of the deadline.

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:41 pm

cannibal ox wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:Dumb question: is there a volunteer-hours requirement to receive summer funding through the school?
Not as far as I know, but I also didn't apply for summer funding. Email CSO and find out for sure.

The one thing I do know is that there's a pretty strict deadline for applying for the funding, something like the end of March? It'll come up fast and you have to have a qualifying job secured by the time you apply, so be aware of the deadline.
Thanks!

Mojosodope

Silver

Post by Mojosodope » Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:20 pm

BigZuck wrote:
Callbacks from mock interviews happen.

Mojosodope

Silver

Post by Mojosodope » Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:25 pm

BasilHallward wrote:Any 2Ls or 3Ls have words of wisdom for this lineup?

Contracts: Kull
Crim: Dix
Con Law: Levinson

Thanks!
Levinson is pretty boring and his class is very different from any other Con Law class. He is a straight up lecturer. He'll talk the entire time and go on random tangents. Go to class, take notes if you want, do the readings.

Final will have a quote section and a random essay. The essay will not be an issue spotter if it's anything like mine. You will be given 2 sections of both a week before the final, out of which he chooses one. So it is not difficult to prepare for, but the curve will be terrible because everyone has the exam for a week. Try to regurgitate things he likes to hear (you will hear him say certain things repeatedly throughout the year).
Torts: Anderson
Anderson is a pretty cool prof. He's clear and makes thing simple. The readings are short. Get the E&E if you need it. His final will be half multiple choice (which is terrible for a torts exam) and one issue spotter. Pretty straight forward.

You could honestly skip the entire class and get notes from someone else and do just as well if you sat there everyday.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”