Recently Graduated UT Law Student taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
mister logical

Bronze

Re: Recently Graduated UT Law Student taking questions

Post by mister logical » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:05 am

cannibal ox wrote:Here is the grade distribution, so you can see which classes gave out the best grades. As for "easy" classes, I'm just a lowly rising 2L so I'll wait for someone else to chime in with an anecdote or two.

So I'm looking at these right now - the number under the A+, A, A- etc are the number of those grades given out?

If I'm reading this correctly it looks like some upper level courses gave out like 10As and 1B.

This is going to be a big transition, I'm used to only 3-4 people getting As and like 25 people getting Bs.

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:29 pm

Yeah, it's a big change, even just going from just a B median (with no A+) to the B+ median. The upper level classes that get off the curve include writing seminars and small (under 21 students) classes, though the latter must apply to be off the curve either prospectively (because there's no final exam or other curveable basis for grade) or retrospectively (because the final didn't result in a raw distribution that can be curved). Additionally, classes that have a lot of high gpa students can curve up to the average gpa of the class.

The A+'s are really hard to get though (although I know someone who had 6, which is why I guess is why they were really hard for the rest of us to get.)

As to your question, there should be two numbers under each grade: The raw number of them given out and the percentage of the class getting them. So for example:

48 is the total number of students, 4 & 8.33 is the number and percentage of students getting an A+; 9 and 18.75 the number and percentage with an A, etc.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

timmyd

Bronze

Post by timmyd » Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:41 pm

Yea, there is pretty rampant grade inflation at UT. I graduated with a 3.79 and I don't think that even top 10%. Be weary of the classes that are off the curve, it doesn't mean everyone gets a's. In my experience, there tends to be a natural curve anyways and profs tell me this as well. That is, a class with say five students, may be riskier than a large division class even though it is off the curve. Even with seminars, they don't just throw a's to everyone. In my seminar class, they gave out some b+'s and b's, but nothing lower than that. A+'s can really set you up g.p.a. wise. I got a couple and they really offset a couple classes I didn't do as well in.

mister logical

Bronze

Post by mister logical » Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:34 pm

BVest wrote:Yeah, it's a big change, even just going from just a B median (with no A+) to the B+ median. The upper level classes that get off the curve include writing seminars and small (under 21 students) classes, though the latter must apply to be off the curve either prospectively (because there's no final exam or other curveable basis for grade) or retrospectively (because the final didn't result in a raw distribution that can be curved). Additionally, classes that have a lot of high gpa students can curve up to the average gpa of the class.

The A+'s are really hard to get though (although I know someone who had 6, which is why I guess is why they were really hard for the rest of us to get.)

As to your question, there should be two numbers under each grade: The raw number of them given out and the percentage of the class getting them. So for example:

48 is the total number of students, 4 & 8.33 is the number and percentage of students getting an A+; 9 and 18.75 the number and percentage with an A, etc.

Thanks so much for replying. So it would be best to take these seminars with under 21 students and haul ass in order to get a good GPA on my first semester there?

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:53 pm

mister logical wrote:
Thanks so much for replying. So it would be best to take these seminars with under 21 students and haul ass in order to get a good GPA on my first semester there?
Two different things: Seminars (course number 397S -- it fulfills your upper level writing requirement, and you can take more than one) and small classes with fewer than 21 students. [ETA: The way they're different is that seminars (which all have fewer than 21 students -- all seminars are small classes, but not all small classes are seminars) are automatically off off the curve, while non-seminar small classes have to apply to be off the curve.]

And as noted above, just because the class can get off the curve, doesn't mean it will have a better grade distribution. My seminar was overall better than a fully curved class, but it was only better at the lower end; the median and upper distribution were about the same as a curved class. Plus it depends on how you do in classes. I do well on exams in doctrinal courses, so my best semester was one of all large (40-130) classes with all of the grade on the final. (My best classes had an average class size of about 60 students, and, while a couple had writing assignments, only one didn't have a final as well).

I guess my point is (1) check the grade distributions for the particular class you're interested in, and (2) know your own strengths.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mister logical

Bronze

Post by mister logical » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:31 pm

BVest wrote:
mister logical wrote:
Two different things: Seminars (course number 397S -- it fulfills your upper level writing requirement, and you can take more than one) and small classes with fewer than 21 students. [ETA: The way they're different is that seminars (which all have fewer than 21 students -- all seminars are small classes, but not all small classes are seminars) are automatically off off the curve, while non-seminar small classes have to apply to be off the curve.]

And as noted above, just because the class can get off the curve, doesn't mean it will have a better grade distribution. My seminar was overall better than a fully curved class, but it was only better at the lower end; the median and upper distribution were about the same as a curved class. Plus it depends on how you do in classes. I do well on exams in doctrinal courses, so my best semester was one of all large (40-130) classes with all of the grade on the final. (My best classes had an average class size of about 60 students, and, while a couple had writing assignments, only one didn't have a final as well).

I guess my point is (1) check the grade distributions for the particular class you're interested in, and (2) know your own strengths.

Gotchya, thanks for the advice. I'm also much better at the doctrinal classes - are there any upper level courses in particular you would recommend in this category?

Traynor Brah

Silver

Post by Traynor Brah » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:49 am

Does anyone know the timeline on hearing about an increased scholarship for 2L or how/when to go about starting that process? Please don't quote. Thanks!

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:15 pm

Traynor, the timeline for applying/hearing back about an increased scholarship for 2L is (a) you should have "applied" before the end of May sometime, but you can still do so now, and (b) You'll hear sometime in the fall like late September or into October.

Link:
https://utdirect.utexas.edu/losch/sch.WBX

Here's last year's email about it (obviously these are also last year's dates):
Now that you are back from Spring Break, the Student Financial Aid Office wanted to send a reminder that the 2014-2015 Law School Scholarship Application is now available. All continuing students who wish to be evaluated for scholarships for the next academic year should fill out the application which is accessible here.

To receive priority consideration for scholarships, please complete your application by the early deadline, 6/1/2014. You will be able to make changes to your application until the early deadline, but after that time you will only be able to view your application. If you do not submit your application by the early deadline, you will have one chance to submit it before the final deadline of 8/30/2014, but you will not be able to make any changes to your application after 8/30/2014.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:41 pm

BVest wrote:Traynor, the timeline for applying/hearing back about an increased scholarship for 2L is (a) you should have "applied" before the end of May sometime, but you can still do so now, and (b) You'll hear sometime in the fall like late September or into October.

Link:
https://utdirect.utexas.edu/losch/sch.WBX

Here's last year's email about it (obviously these are also last year's dates):
Now that you are back from Spring Break, the Student Financial Aid Office wanted to send a reminder that the 2014-2015 Law School Scholarship Application is now available. All continuing students who wish to be evaluated for scholarships for the next academic year should fill out the application which is accessible here.

To receive priority consideration for scholarships, please complete your application by the early deadline, 6/1/2014. You will be able to make changes to your application until the early deadline, but after that time you will only be able to view your application. If you do not submit your application by the early deadline, you will have one chance to submit it before the final deadline of 8/30/2014, but you will not be able to make any changes to your application after 8/30/2014.
Is the decision-making process for this basically determined by grades? Assuming so, what grades does one typically need to see a scholarship boost? Or does that depend on the previous amount?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:04 pm

Hikkomorist wrote: Is the decision-making process for this basically determined by grades? Assuming so, what grades does one typically need to see a scholarship boost? Or does that depend on the previous amount?
As far as my knowledge goes, it's a black box. I've never spoken to the school about it though so they could have some very systematic and precise way of determining these potential increases, but I've never seen a description of the process. They do ask how you're financing your education and they obviously have your grades, so ...
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

MtnGinger

Bronze

Post by MtnGinger » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:28 pm

Hey guys I was able to defer a year and will be moving to Austin with my husband next summer. I was wondering when the best time to start looking for housing is. We want something with a few bedrooms and probably farther from the law school so I didn't know when the best time to start talking to realtors would be. Anyone have any experience with this, can we start looking early for a lease that would be available in July or do we have to wait closer to the summer.

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:04 pm

MtnGinger wrote:Hey guys I was able to defer a year and will be moving to Austin with my husband next summer. I was wondering when the best time to start looking for housing is. We want something with a few bedrooms and probably farther from the law school so I didn't know when the best time to start talking to realtors would be. Anyone have any experience with this, can we start looking early for a lease that would be available in July or do we have to wait closer to the summer.
Are you looking to buy our to rent? If the latter, house, duplex, or apartment (harder to find in 3B).

For renting, a lot of houses come on the market at the end of June and beginning of July for Aug 1 move-in. And very few of them get listed on MLS. I don't feel like a realtor would be of great help beyond telling you about neighborhoods, and that's not necessary. I'd suggest following listings on CL, Zillow, and Trulia, and then coming down in the first week of July to drive a selected set of neighborhoods looking for signs and checking for new CL listings as you go, then calling to get a look at the ones you like. Specifically, I'd recommend looking between Red River and Guadalupe from 32nd to Koenig/2222 (a road with many names, you'll find), as well as between Lamar and Burnet from 49th to Morrow. Those areas will put you in decent residential neighborhoods within a 15-18 minute drive of the San Jacinto garage / law school (from the most northern part of that; about 5 minutes from the southern end of that).

Buying in Austin can be really tough and take a long time, mainly because everything central goes instantly with multiple offers (assuming it's correctly priced). I'd suggest the same neighborhoods there. Note that 3BR in the areas I talk about north of 49th will run 450k at the low end for a 1951 house to 650-750k for new construction. The areas south of there will be higher (like those new construction prices will get you 1940s houses).

I can't speak to what the apartment market is like except that there are a number of new complexes that have gone up in the Guadalupe/Lamar corridor recently, so there's a good deal more availability than there used to be.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

timmyd

Bronze

Post by timmyd » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:09 pm

So, they yanked the coif and honors cut offs from recent years off the nalp website. Figured I would post here for future reference that I have seen it at 3.76, 3.80, 3.81, and 3.82. Honors always seems to be like a 3.55. Anyone have any other data points? Speculation as to the 3.76 in 2012? Haha really hoping that happens again somehow.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

gadzooks

New

Post by gadzooks » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:04 pm

Just read through the bulk of this thread--thanks for all of the info. If anyone has insight into or experience with the following professors, it would be much appreciated:
Dammann (contracts)
Kull (property)
Jinks (crim)

Thanks!

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:02 pm

gadzooks wrote:Just read through the bulk of this thread--thanks for all of the info. If anyone has insight into or experience with the following professors, it would be much appreciated:
Dammann (contracts)
Kull (property)
Jinks (crim)

Thanks!
You might have better luck here: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 5&t=241435.

cannibal ox

Gold

Post by cannibal ox » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:45 pm

I think most UT megaposters check this thread, so feel free to post questions about professors. I'll probably stick to answering through PM, but I'll try and hit up anyone who has the same professors I had.

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:47 pm

cannibal ox wrote:I think most UT megaposters check this thread, so feel free to post questions about professors. I'll probably stick to answering through PM, but I'll try and hit up anyone who has the same professors I had.
I don't actively check here anymore, but will gladly answer any questions about any that I had, but all that I'm seeing on the freshlaw that I had was Silver.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ellewoods817

Bronze

Post by ellewoods817 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:49 am

gadzooks wrote:Just read through the bulk of this thread--thanks for all of the info. If anyone has insight into or experience with the following professors, it would be much appreciated:
Dammann (contracts)
Kull (property)
Jinks (crim)

Thanks!
+1 on this set of professors! any info would be great!

dizzydg

New

Post by dizzydg » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:16 pm

ellewoods817 wrote:
Dammann (contracts)
Kull (property)
Jinks (crim)

Thanks!
+1 on this set of professors! any info would be great!
Same! except robertson for crim.

BasilHallward

Silver

Post by BasilHallward » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:33 pm

Property: Blais
Civ Pro: Albright
Torts: Robertson
LRLW: Youngdale

Any helpful nuggets will be much appreciated.

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:32 pm

I had youngdale for lrw. She is extremely nice, but I would def go to office hours. She seems to give you enough info in class to get median if you put in the work. Going to office hours and really getting extra help is invaluable for a higher grade.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rnoodles

Platinum

Post by rnoodles » Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:35 pm

CivPro: Mullenix
ConLaw: Chesney
Torts: McGarity
LRLW: Blinkova

Anybody? Thanks!

dkb17xzx

Bronze

Post by dkb17xzx » Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:49 pm

BasilHallward wrote:Property: Blais

Robertson - Pay extra attention to his "notes" section - he wrote the book and focuses on it extensively. Office hours are great - talk to him about his life. Also be ready for some awesome guitar playing.

Blais - If she assigns outside reading (especially major cases), pay special attention to that. She seems very intimidating (and is). For office hours, make sure you have specific questions in mind. You'll undoubtedly feel stupid in her class and that's fine.

Youngdale: Agree with what the above poster said - go to office hours. She's a very nice lady.

Feel free to PM for other info.

BasilHallward

Silver

Post by BasilHallward » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:07 pm

dkb17xzx wrote:
BasilHallward wrote:Property: Blais

Robertson - Pay extra attention to his "notes" section - he wrote the book and focuses on it extensively. Office hours are great - talk to him about his life. Also be ready for some awesome guitar playing.

Blais - If she assigns outside reading (especially major cases), pay special attention to that. She seems very intimidating (and is). For office hours, make sure you have specific questions in mind. You'll undoubtedly feel stupid in her class and that's fine.

Youngdale: Agree with what the above poster said - go to office hours. She's a very nice lady.

Feel free to PM for other info.
Thanks for the info! I am sure that I will have many more questions soon.

allentx

New

Post by allentx » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:16 pm

Last edited by allentx on Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”