Is physical stamina the most important factor in biglaw?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
crazi4law
Posts: 71
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:21 am

Is physical stamina the most important factor in biglaw?

Postby crazi4law » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:18 pm

From personal experience, I find that the amount of sleep I get GREATLY affects everything that I do, from the work that I produce to my interactions with other people. Usually, I feel horrible when I get less than 5 hours of sleep the night before. For others, it seems that sleep doesn't have nearly as big of an influence on their lives.

Since sleep deprivation is an evitable part of biglaw life, would you say that one's physical and mental ability to tolerate sleep deprivation is one of the most important factors of how he/she does in biglaw? Do some people decide early on that they simply cannot handle the severe lack of sleep and quit very soon?

Also, what happens when you decide your body is really going to break down if you do not get any sleep right away, and you therefore take the rest of the day off even when you have things due that day?

User avatar
jas1503
Posts: 313
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:27 pm

Re: Is physical stamina the most important factor in biglaw?

Postby jas1503 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:59 pm

crazi4law wrote:From personal experience, I find that the amount of sleep I get GREATLY affects everything that I do, from the work that I produce to my interactions with other people. Usually, I feel horrible when I get less than 5 hours of sleep the night before. For others, it seems that sleep doesn't have nearly as big of an influence on their lives.

Since sleep deprivation is an evitable part of biglaw life, would you say that one's physical and mental ability to tolerate sleep deprivation is one of the most important factors of how he/she does in biglaw? Do some people decide early on that they simply cannot handle the severe lack of sleep and quit very soon?

Also, what happens when you decide your body is really going to break down if you do not get any sleep right away, and you therefore take the rest of the day off even when you have things due that day?

Physical stamina??? I thought big law is filled with paper pushers...

Start sleeping 4 hours a day from now on to train for the real thing.

User avatar
Clearly
Posts: 4165
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Re: Is physical stamina the most important factor in biglaw?

Postby Clearly » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:02 pm

Sci fi guy ?

User avatar
WhiteyCakes
Posts: 1390
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:38 pm

Re: Is physical stamina the most important factor in biglaw?

Postby WhiteyCakes » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:08 pm

Clearlynotstefan wrote:Sci fi guy ?


Exactly my thought when I saw this on the front page

User avatar
swc65
Posts: 1003
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:27 am

Re: Is physical stamina the most important factor in biglaw?

Postby swc65 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:22 pm

It's called a BLN, big law nap. Sleep under your desk or on it. Not joking. People do it all the time. Others get an adderall addiction. Napping is better.

User avatar
Monochromatic Oeuvre
Posts: 1928
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 9:40 pm

Re: Is physical stamina the most important factor in biglaw?

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:40 pm

crazi4law wrote:From personal experience, I find that the amount of sleep I get GREATLY affects everything that I do, from the work that I produce to my interactions with other people. Usually, I feel horrible when I get less than 5 hours of sleep the night before. For others, it seems that sleep doesn't have nearly as big of an influence on their lives.

Since sleep deprivation is an evitable part of biglaw life, would you say that one's physical and mental ability to tolerate sleep deprivation is one of the most important factors of how he/she does in biglaw? Do some people decide early on that they simply cannot handle the severe lack of sleep and quit very soon?

Also, what happens when you decide your body is really going to break down if you do not get any sleep right away, and you therefore take the rest of the day off even when you have things due that day?


Are you the same guy who was asking how to get into Wachtell?

If you don't perform well/feel good on less than five hours of sleep, don't go to Wachtell.

User avatar
Gunnar Stahl
Posts: 1085
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:57 pm

Re: Is physical stamina the most important factor in biglaw?

Postby Gunnar Stahl » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:59 pm

http://www.wallstreetoasis.com/forums/i ... -i-banking

nice one dood

are you crazi4law or craziforib?

or crazi4preftige?

User avatar
scifiguy
Posts: 575
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:41 pm

Re: Is physical stamina the most important factor in biglaw?

Postby scifiguy » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:23 pm

You can do some research into sleep deprivation + irregular sleep cycles and health.

Post the results here for us to see. :D

Maybe also Google "overwork" + "death" + "dangers" or something to that effect?

User avatar
scifiguy
Posts: 575
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:41 pm

Re: Is physical stamina the most important factor in biglaw?

Postby scifiguy » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:29 pm

http://abovethelaw.com/2011/06/in-re-th ... associate/

The story of Lisa Johnstone - a former Skadden associate - is also quite well-known. Her autopsy showed inconclusive signs for the cause of her death. But the conditions leading up to her death prompted many biglaw attorneys to reassess their lives and physical and mental health.

User avatar
2014
Posts: 5831
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:53 pm

Re: Is physical stamina the most important factor in biglaw?

Postby 2014 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:03 pm

I would love to be able to function on 5 hours of sleep, I need a solid 8. I'm fucked lol

User avatar
J-e-L-L-o
Posts: 418
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:42 am

Re: Is physical stamina the most important factor in biglaw?

Postby J-e-L-L-o » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:18 am

WhiteyCakes wrote:
Clearlynotstefan wrote:Sci fi guy ?


Exactly my thought when I saw this on the front page

User avatar
Monochromatic Oeuvre
Posts: 1928
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 9:40 pm

Re: Is physical stamina the most important factor in biglaw?

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:58 am

Ghost93 wrote:http://www.wallstreetoasis.com/forums/is-physical-stamina-one-of-the-most-important-factors-in-doing-well-in-i-banking

nice one dood

are you crazi4law or craziforib?

or crazi4preftige?


LOL.

I wonder how a law school admissions officer would respond to that...

I would bet a decent amount of money OP either a) Has zero desire to actually practice law and just wants to go into a high-paying profession, or b) Is the one of the dime-a-dozen college kids who think the coolest thing in the world is to work for Goldman Sachs (despite it being, in reality, probably one of the worst places you could ever work) and want to "work on M&A deals" because it's the easiest sub-field to understand when the extent of your experience is a BBA and a summer at JP Morgan.

OP, if you don't actually like the law, for the love of God do not go to law school. I promise you will hate your future job and you will be unsuccessful at it, because the long hours and tedious nature of the work will drain you, while others will outperform you because they legitimately love it and will therefore outwork you with relative ease.

CanIGetAnAmen
Posts: 159
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:42 am

Re: Is physical stamina the most important factor in biglaw?

Postby CanIGetAnAmen » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:23 am

How do I get into big law?




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], j431e782, phelpsy, UCLA1984 and 9 guests