Top law students: what was your childhood like?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
johndhi

Top law students: what was your childhood like?

Postby johndhi » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:22 am

Hey guys, the typing thread (viewtopic.php?f=4&t=209783 - and highly recommended) got me thinking about how similar we all are on this forum.

Is there a correlation (CAUSATION?!) between being a nerd who played Starcraft as a kid and doing well in law school? I certainly did both of those and reading that other thread leads me to believe many of you did the same.

I played games online, chatted online a lot (to get dat typing speed) and was generally kind of a smart kid who was fat and didn't hang out with girls much until I got older. Who's with me?

Cobretti

Re: Top law students: what was your childhood like?

Postby Cobretti » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:29 am

If starcraft was a causation I think there would be a lot more Korean law students 8)

bananapeanutbutter

Postby bananapeanutbutter » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:49 am

I was around top 10 percent at a top 10, never played Starcraft. I wrote a lot of comedy as a kid, and think acquiring a quick wit and the ability to joke about everything probably gave me a few A's and A minuses when my actual analysis was more a B plus/A minus. I think if you work on learning your prof's personality traits and sense of humor you can try to adopt his choice of words, and humor and use it to your advantage. This is secondary to knowing the material, but in my experience much more valuable than knowing every note case.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:50 am

Expected this to be a scifiguy thread. I'm shocked that its not

Talar

Postby Talar » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:12 pm

johndhi wrote:Hey guys, the typing thread (viewtopic.php?f=4&t=209783 - and highly recommended) got me thinking about how similar we all are on this forum.

Is there a correlation (CAUSATION?!) between being a nerd who played Starcraft as a kid and doing well in law school? I certainly did both of those and reading that other thread leads me to believe many of you did the same.

I played games online, chatted online a lot (to get dat typing speed) and was generally kind of a smart kid who was fat and didn't hang out with girls much until I got older. Who's with me?

Holy shit. I also played starcraft a ton as a kid (and a few other blizzard games, like D1 and D2). I did very well in law school.

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:15 pm

HA HA WHITE PEOPLE

Scotchandsoda

Postby Scotchandsoda » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:16 pm

[quote="johndhi"]Hey guys, the typing thread (viewtopic.php?f=4&t=209783 - and highly recommended) got me thinking about how similar we all are on this forum.

I played games online, chatted online a lot (to get dat typing speed) and was generally kind of a smart kid who was fat and didn't hang out with girls much until I got older. Who's

-_______________-

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:37 pm

Very well, where do I begin? My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink, he would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Some times he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy, the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. My childhood was typical, summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When I was insolent I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds, pretty standard really. At the age of 12 I received my first scribe. At the age of fourteen, a Zoroastrian named Vilma ritualistically shaved my testicles. There really is nothing like a shorn scrotum, it's breathtaking, I suggest you try it.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:38 pm

i came to this thread totally expecting it to be a scifiguy thread

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:56 pm

As Starcraft was one of the most popular games ever in the history of video games, I think that plenty of people play Starcraft and they have varios results in law school.

KD35

Postby KD35 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:59 pm

NYstate wrote:As Starcraft was one of the most popular games ever in the history of video games, I think that plenty of people play Starcraft and they have varios results in law school.

Now, there's probably a correlation between people who play IN law school and their LS results... Played Starcraft/AoE/WoW as a child/teen.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:03 pm

kaiser wrote:Very well, where do I begin? My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink, he would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Some times he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy, the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. My childhood was typical, summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When I was insolent I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds, pretty standard really. At the age of 12 I received my first scribe. At the age of fourteen, a Zoroastrian named Vilma ritualistically shaved my testicles. There really is nothing like a shorn scrotum, it's breathtaking, I suggest you try it.

I can't believe I missed an opportunity to use this quote...

Winston1984

Postby Winston1984 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:15 pm

kaiser wrote:Very well, where do I begin? My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink, he would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Some times he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy, the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. My childhood was typical, summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When I was insolent I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds, pretty standard really. At the age of 12 I received my first scribe. At the age of fourteen, a Zoroastrian named Vilma ritualistically shaved my testicles. There really is nothing like a shorn scrotum, it's breathtaking, I suggest you try it.

You win the Internet.

envisciguy

Postby envisciguy » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:43 pm

/THREAD

Tekrul

Postby Tekrul » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:45 pm

I wanted to post something witty. Way to wreck the curve, kiss ass.

johndhi

Postby johndhi » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:29 pm

Haha, some good shit here. Yall are brilliant; we should start an Internet law firm.

smaug_

Postby smaug_ » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:45 pm

Why are people losing their shit over an Austin Powers quote?

jetsfan1

Postby jetsfan1 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:00 pm

i came to this thread totally expecting it to be a scifiguy thread

This. lol.

There's also a pretty big selection bias asking this question on an online forum. I'd hazard to guess that people like us who join an online forum are more likely to be the kind of people who are online gamers.

So doubt there is a correlation.

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:39 am

hibiki wrote:Why are people losing their shit over an Austin Powers quote?

It was a good chuckle and well placed. I don't think he wins the internet though.

sf_39

Postby sf_39 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:10 am

All of this message board are belong to us

HBBJohnStamos

Postby HBBJohnStamos » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:25 am

Blizzard is teh suck.

Tekrul

Postby Tekrul » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:00 pm

HBBJohnStamos wrote:Blizzard is teh suck.

You'll be playing Titan. You'll ALL be playing Titan.

hlsperson1111

Postby hlsperson1111 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:31 pm

When I was a kid, we were too poor to afford video games or Starcraft, so I played a lot of sports. I was really good at basketball and used to play all the time at the playground of the school near my house. Unfortunately, it was in sort of a tough neighborhood, and there was one group of guys who liked to hang around the playground and cause trouble. I still remember the day when they came onto the playground and tried to pick a fight with me. It was a pretty minor fight, all things considered, but when my mom heard about it, she got scared and said "you're moving with your auntie and uncle to Bel-air." I whistled for a cab and when it came near, the license plate said "fresh" and it had dice in the mirror. If anything, I could say this cab was rare. But I thought, nah, forget it, "yo homes - to Bel-air!" I pulled up to a house around seven or eight and I yelled to the cabbie "Yo, homes, smell you later!" I looked at my kingdom - and I was finally there - to sit on my throne as the prince of Bel-air.

romanticegotist

Postby romanticegotist » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:10 am

I mean if everyone is owning up to playing Starcraft I can tell you that playing competitive Magic: the Gathering has been a boon to my analytic skills. Some of the world's best players are lawyers, hedge fund managers, mathmeticians, etc.

mehiguess

Postby mehiguess » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:07 am

I played sports, fished, biked all over town, did all the normal stuff kids do sans the computer. I started playing drums at a young age which lead me to playing in a band from the age of 15 up until the present. I've gone on small tours, played with big name acts, and been lucky enough to play at the Hard Rock Live in Orlando once and the House of Blues about 7 times. We most recently opened for a band called Queensryche from the 80's last time we were there. I believe it's the people I met and life experience through music that led me to law. I have met so many "interesting" people throughout this journey. What it has taught me is that everyone has a story, and you can always learn something. Plus, I've always done well talking to people, making people feel comfortable, and being personable. I hope to you use those personal skills coupled with knowledge of the law to be a competent and successful lawyer one day.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”