Law School Horror Stories?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
scifiguy

Law School Horror Stories?

Postby scifiguy » Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:36 am

What are some horror stories you all have witnessed or heard about from law school? And what lessons can be drawn from them to help 0Ls?

clickerss

Re: Law School Horror Stories?

Postby clickerss » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:28 am

I think one of the scariest I've ever heard is the tale of Banshee Bordeaux. I guess a female law professor was murdered in her sleep by a student upset at her negative position toward migrating Cockatoo's from the south of France. Her head was stolen and it's rumored it's buried beneath one of the top 50 Law Schools. Rumors have it the head floats through the halls chanting like a cockatoo.

Though some say it's helped them better understand complex aviary legalities from their maritime law courses.

:)

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:27 pm

scifiguy wrote:What are some horror stories you all have witnessed or heard about from law school? And what lessons can be drawn from them to help 0Ls?

dont go?

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:36 pm

There was a school shooting at Appalachian School of Law. A student had been failed out of school and he came back to kill his professor and ended up killing him and another student (and maybe injuring some other people in the process). People tend to forget this as it's an unaccredited school and people think, well that could never happen here [at an accredited school] but you never know. Law students are crazy. Put a bunch of them together in a high pressure environment and eventually someone will snap.

thelawdoctor

Postby thelawdoctor » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:38 pm

stillwater wrote:
scifiguy wrote:What are some horror stories you all have witnessed or heard about from law school? And what lessons can be drawn from them to help 0Ls?

dont go?

Great story bro.

thelawdoctor

Postby thelawdoctor » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:39 pm

cinephile wrote:There was a school shooting at Appalachian School of Law. A student had been failed out of school and he came back to kill his professor and ended up killing him and another student (and maybe injuring some other people in the process). People tend to forget this as it's an unaccredited school and people think, well that could never happen here [at an accredited school] but you never know. Law students are crazy. Put a bunch of them together in a high pressure environment and eventually someone will snap.

Well yeah, you've seen "wrong turn" haven't you? :shock:

guano

Postby guano » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:39 pm

Latham

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:41 pm

cinephile wrote:There was a school shooting at Appalachian School of Law. A student had been failed out of school and he came back to kill his professor and ended up killing him and another student (and maybe injuring some other people in the process). People tend to forget this as it's an unaccredited school and people think, well that could never happen here [at an accredited school] but you never know. Law students are crazy. Put a bunch of them together in a high pressure environment and eventually someone will snap.

Actually, Appalachian's fully ABA accredited. (Not saying it's a good school to attend, just that it's accredited.)

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:44 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:

Actually, Appalachian's fully ABA accredited. (Not saying it's a good school to attend, just that it's accredited.)

Sorry, I had just never heard of it before so I assumed it wasn't legitimate. This should make the story more shocking - if it could happen at an ABA accredited school, then what does that say about accredited schools?

Kafkaesquire

Postby Kafkaesquire » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:26 pm

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/ori ... 85/b1d.png

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:03 pm

guano wrote:

Latham

Dewey

mr.hands

Postby mr.hands » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:56 pm

guano wrote:

Latham

What did Latham do? (i feel like i should know this...)

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:57 pm

mr.hands wrote:
guano wrote:

Latham

What did Latham do? (i feel like i should know this...)

first firm to do massive layoffs after financial meltdown in 2008.

t-14orbust

Postby t-14orbust » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:58 pm

Last edited by t-14orbust on Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

smaug_

Postby smaug_ » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:47 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
guano wrote:

Latham

Dewey

Latham, Dewey, Cadwalader, Sidley Austin, Akin Gump, White & Case, Clifford Chance, Allen & Overy, Mayer Brown, Linklaters…

Gunnar Stahl

Postby Gunnar Stahl » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:33 pm

pleasestopmakingthreads.jpg

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:09 am

This doc-reviewer Villanova Law grad who murdered his mom and then committed suicide over stress from student debt takes the cake. :shock:

http://abovethelaw.com/2013/03/debt-is- ... desuicide/

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:31 am

Speaking of Above the Law stories, there was that guy at Mercer (an aspiring Supreme Court justice) who remained in student housing the summer after 3L while studying for the bar, and then allegedly hacked his neighbor (fellow recent law school grad) to death. Either they never found the head or they only found the head and not the rest of the body.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:38 am

I have a horror story for you.

I knew a guy once who posted dozens and dozens of worthless threads on TLS while he was a 0l. Every time a different inane thought about law school or the legal profession popped in his head he made a different thread about it. Everybody told him to stop but he just kept making stupid threads almost every single day.

Then when he finally started law school he carried over his aspie gunnerism into real life and annoyed the living shit out of his fellow classmates.

So one night after a get together at a local bar they brought the gunner out to the middle of an abandoned field and they bludgeoned him to death with their casebooks.

As he laid there bleeding to death he pulled out his phone and made one last thread on TLS asking for advice about getting murdered by your 1l class.

JaviSTB

Postby JaviSTB » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:14 am

Ludovico Technique wrote:I have a horror story for you.

I knew a guy once who posted dozens and dozens of worthless threads on TLS while he was a 0l. Every time a different inane thought about law school or the legal profession popped in his head he made a different thread about it. Everybody told him to stop but he just kept making stupid threads almost every single day.

Then when he finally started law school he carried over his aspie gunnerism into real life and annoyed the living shit out of his fellow classmates.

So one night after a get together at a local bar they brought the gunner out to the middle of an abandoned field and they bludgeoned him to death with their casebooks.

As he laid there bleeding to death he pulled out his phone and made one last thread on TLS asking for advice about getting murdered by your 1l class.

fuckin' 180

sf_39

Postby sf_39 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:21 am

I heard there's a deranged law student who likes to cut people, dropped out of school and now scours law school forums looking for annoying posters who create too many threads.

Hmmm that wasn't much of a story. Shame.

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:05 am

sf_39 wrote:I heard there's a deranged law student who likes to cut people, dropped out of school and now scours law school forums looking for annoying posters who create too many threads.

Hmmm that wasn't much of a story. Shame.

Are you an alt?

Anyway, that was a wonderful story by a wonderful storyteller.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:01 am

Columbine was enough warning for me; I'm strapped!

I like to keep the peace, so I keep the piece of steel with me at all times...trained, licensed, unlocked, and loaded - and I'm not the only one.

I believe in the right to bear arms, so my bare arms will pull the trigger without hesitation.

Tekrul

Postby Tekrul » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:31 am

Getting CCW in NJ/NYC is like winning the lottery the same day you get struck by lightning and go triple platinum. If the day I look down a criminal barrel about to take my life ever comes around, unfortunately all I'll be able to do is impotently beg for the life of my SO if not for mine while thinking about my h&k p30, usp, and sig P226 sitting neatly cleaned polished unloaded and double locked behind 3 inches of steel with ammunition locked separately. My 25 yard 1.5 inch spread will be for shit.

Meanwhile there are traffic/security cameras out there with footage of me breaking up/averting physical conflict between strangers who had the fortune of engaging with me around instead of a phone camera bystander.

And with NYPD carrying 9-11 lb triggers, I'll take my chances with bad guy missing over taking strays in my direction.

Yea immadbro.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:36 am

clickerss wrote:I think one of the scariest I've ever heard is the tale of Banshee Bordeaux. I guess a female law professor was murdered in her sleep by a student upset at her negative position toward migrating Cockatoo's from the south of France. Her head was stolen and it's rumored it's buried beneath one of the top 50 Law Schools. Rumors have it the head floats through the halls chanting like a cockatoo.

Though some say it's helped them better understand complex aviary legalities from their maritime law courses.

:)

TJ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”