Patent Law Degree Inquiry

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
PittGirl90

Patent Law Degree Inquiry

Postby PittGirl90 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:01 am

Hello,

I was wondering if I have to wait until I'm in law school to see if my undergrad degree qualifies (Rehabilitation Science--with the School of Health & Rehabilitation Sciences at Pitt) for the patent bar. I saw the other courses one could take if one's undergrad degree doesn't qualify and I was thinking I could take them in my time off beforehand if it does not? Thanks.

rinkrat19

Re: Patent Law Degree Inquiry

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:51 am

You know, if you google "patent bar qualification," the first result takes you to the USPTO site where you can read all about the exam.
The patent bar exam, by the way, does not require you to go to law school. You can take it whenever, as long as you qualify.

No clue what Rehabilitation Science is, but I'm betting you'd have to qualify via Category B (coursework), because your major doesn't automatically qualify (cat A) and I'm pretty sure you haven't taken the Fundamentals of Engineering exam (cat C).

http://www.uspto.gov/ip/boards/oed/grb.pdf

PittGirl90

Postby PittGirl90 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:15 am

My question is that I've taken 8 credits of Bio, 8 credits of Chem, 8 credits of Physics, as well as other natural sciences classes. However, my specific major title isn't in the Category A. Am I allowed to just send them my transcript and see what they say? I'm not sure what to include in the package if I can do that? Thanks.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:18 am

PittGirl90 wrote:My question is that I've taken 8 credits of Bio, 8 credits of Chem, 8 credits of Physics, as well as other natural sciences classes. However, my specific major title isn't in the Category A. Am I allowed to just send them my transcript and see what they say? I'm not sure what to include in the package if I can do that? Thanks.

Read that pdf. All the instructions are in there. (Hint: No, you don't just send them a transcript.)

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”