A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
cl101

Re: Break Up or Stay Together

Postby cl101 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:09 am

OP, take my advice with a grain of salt since I'm not a law student/graduate but...

How does HE feel about the situation? You mentioned you've "discussed" things with him and he knows you're getting advice from others, but what are his thoughts. I understand that
a) LS is super stressful and time consuming
b) first year is CRUCIAL for job placement, class rank, etc.
BUT med school is also incredibly demanding (probably moreso). I get he might not be starting right away, but I don't think it's fair to be the special snowflake in the relationship, analyzing how stuff is going to affect you and your career prospects without also giving weight to his. Is he also having major doubts about how this will work? If so, then maybe it's best to take a break. If not, then
a) maybe you need to re-evaluate the relationship. Are you really as invested and in love with him as he seems to be with you? Not necessarily saying this is the case, but it's something you should consider
b) just, in the words of Tim Gunn, make it work! Or at least try to, and go from there

danitt

Postby danitt » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:18 am

Didn't they already break up?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:25 am

This is kind of ridiculous. If you love him, have him move (clearly he wants to). If you don't love him, break it off. I get the "I have a one year relationship and we are going to have to do long distance, should we make this work?" situation that a lot of people go through when they head off to law school. But four years, and he is willing to move with you? If you really love this guy it should be a no-brainer.

Also, WTF is this:

Rory19 wrote:However, I also have heard that law school changes you and you meet a lot of new people who may shift the type of person you want to spend your time with.
:roll: It's graduate school, not a tour in Iraq.

WhiteRabbit

Postby WhiteRabbit » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:50 am

romothesavior wrote:This is kind of ridiculous. If you love him, have him move (clearly he wants to). If you don't love him, break it off. I get the "I have a one year relationship and we are going to have to do long distance, should we make this work?" situation that a lot of people go through when they head off to law school. But four years, and he is willing to move with you? If you really love this guy it should be a no-brainer.

+1

You creating this thread means the relationship is effectively over already. Break up.

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:24 pm

I regret posting in this thread.

Ded Precedent

Postby Ded Precedent » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:37 pm

How old are you? Most women hit their fertility peak around age 30 so you should take that into consideration.

Rory19

Postby Rory19 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:59 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:I regret posting in this thread.
Last edited by Rory19 on Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ampm

Postby ampm » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:26 pm

Frankly OP, this is disgusting. You're done with this relationship already. Leave the poor guy and tell him as it is, you don't have the balls to stay committed in case you meet some hotshot lawyer.

I deal with corporate clients on a daily basis and to be frank, I can smell bs a mile away. I'm not going to say that you're going to end up unhappy but there is a very good chance that as you grown older, you will realize your mistake.

EDIT: Now if the problem doesn't lie with you, it will most likely be him. He may be unhappy if he can't spend as much time with you as he'd like. But if that's not a problem, then man up and tell him the truth.

RodneyRuxin

Postby RodneyRuxin » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:31 pm

ampm wrote:Frankly OP, this is disgusting. You're done with this relationship already. Leave the poor guy and tell him as it is, you don't have the balls to stay committed in case you meet some hotshot lawyer.

I deal with corporate clients on a daily basis and to be frank, I can smell bs a mile away. I'm not going to say that you're going to end up unhappy but there is a very good chance that as you grown older, you will realize your mistake.

EDIT: Now if the problem doesn't lie with you, it will most likely be him. He may be unhappy if he can't spend as much time with you as he'd like. But if that's not a problem, then man up and tell him the truth.

LOL at you reviving this thread and then OP changing the title

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”