A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
stv

Postby stv » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:26 am

Last edited by stv on Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:22 pm, edited 5 times in total.

jas1503

Re: JD/MBA - How would a US law firm feel about a French MBA?

Postby jas1503 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:27 pm

jas1503

Postby jas1503 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:34 pm

There's a swoon for anything British here in The States. Anything from OxBridge will be met with starry eyes, but the reputation of your french MBA will probably depend on the name of the school you will be getting it from-as any other top 10 MBA.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:56 pm

As much as I love France (and keeping down costs), go with the Oxbridge degree. It'll mean so much more prestige-wise, which is really all firms care about. No one cares about skills or knowledge you'll learn.

stv

Postby stv » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:37 am

Last edited by stv on Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:50 pm, edited 4 times in total.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:48 am

You're going to be on a firm's website with a little bio. What school looks better when some rando is browsing your bio? That's where you want to go.

jingosaur

Postby jingosaur » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:02 am

For US and Hong Kong purposes, the Oxford/Cambridge degree is still better if you're eventually going to take the law school route. Having those names and those stories is something that will differentiate you. HEC Paris and Essec are legit business schools, but you would probably have to explain to a lot of people what those schools are. Just keep in mind that an MBA is more a rite of entitlement than a professional degree. Doctors and lawyers need their degrees to legally do their jobs. An MBA doesn't do that. It's used to distinguish yourself in the professional world. And if the professional world you're going to be in is Law, the Oxford and Cambridge names get a lot of recognition.

stv

Postby stv » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:42 pm

Last edited by stv on Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:30 pm

Oxbridge def have more notoriety and brand recognition in the US than French universities. However, if you have the chance to attend ENS (Ecole Normale Superieure) for just about anything, do it. No other French university is worth it IMO, but ENS can literally get you anywhere in France and the French-speaking world (west africa, south asia, ect.)

stv

Postby stv » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:52 am

Last edited by stv on Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jas1503

Postby jas1503 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:41 pm

stv wrote:Many thanks to all of you for collective wisdom. I have a new factor in deciding an MBA school. Oxbridge is not likely to give me a scholarship. I wont talk about details here about what has changed.

Now I have to spend 80,000 dollars for an MBA which I dont think worthy enough for an Oxbridge MBA when I think I can get into top 10 US MBA school.(I have a WE/essay stories/reference letters which MBA schools tend to like) Cost is definitely an important factor in making a decision.

I have more than 10 WE and seriously want to stop working at my current company.
The reason why I decided to pursue an MBA is that I think it would be nice to complete my on the job training with academic one and to get another degree. I am interested in PE and VC but I havent worked in that area and I am not sure if I will be happy with that job.

As decision time nears, I need to make a final decision; an MBA from Oxbridge now or French school with almost full scholarship or wait another year to start law school while working/hating my current job. It is highly likely that I wont appreciate the quality of the French MBA that offers almost full tuition fee when considering my GMAT score is way too higher than the average.

I would appreciate your comments.

Are you planning to work in France at some point in the future?

If yes, then go for the free MBA from a top french school.

$80,000 dollars is expensive for an MBA, but not really expensive if the $80,000 includes your cost of living. Still, an OxBridge MBA is going to eventually pay some of that money back in its 'prestige value'.

Perception is sometimes more important than actual reality. Both schools are probably equivalent in the material you will learn, but the OxBridge choice is going to provide you with more choices because of its perceived value.

Choose what's best for you in the long-term. If you need a change, then move on from your job.

If you want and MBA without the debt and you're interested in staying in France, then go for the free French MBA.

If you're focusing on a market outside of France, then go OxBridge.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”