A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Teflon_Don

Postby Teflon_Don » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:18 pm

Last edited by Teflon_Don on Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

utlaw2007

Re: HLS + TX Ties

Postby utlaw2007 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:22 pm

Teflon_Don wrote:Born & raised in TX, college there as well. I notice that not a large percentage of the HLS class to TX, and I'm assuming that's because most of the major offices aren't located in TX. For someone considering TX Biglaw, though, I'm curious how HLS fairs for someone with strong ties in landing Texas Biglaw? Anyone have experience/anecdotes with this?

I have personal experience with it. I had a mentor that was a partner at Fulbright in Austin. So I got to know some associates in the firm. There were a few from Harvard. In my personal opinion, I don't think you will have much of a problem landing Texas Biglaw coming out of Harvard having actually lived in Texas.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:25 pm

I don't think you'd have any issues at all. They'll understand leaving for Harvard, and it doesn't sound like your ties could be much better.

BeenDidThat

Postby BeenDidThat » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:45 pm

Pretty sure they'll love you.

Blessedassurance

Postby Blessedassurance » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:50 pm

Teflon_Don wrote:Born & raised in TX, college there as well. I notice that not a large percentage of the HLS class to TX, and I'm assuming that's because most of the major offices aren't located in TX. For someone considering TX Biglaw, though, I'm curious how HLS fairs for someone with strong ties in landing Texas Biglaw? Anyone have experience/anecdotes with this?

You actually have a pretty good shot at a 1L SA in Texas. If you didn't have significant ties to TX, you'd still be competitive for TX Biglaw (for 2l) coming from H.

BelugaWhale

Postby BelugaWhale » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:53 pm

Im currently a summer at one of the big three and i am at HLS. My only tie to TX is that I went to school here. They love you, go to HLS and dont look back. You are in much better shape than someone who goes to UT with a lot of connections

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:03 pm

Some connection is all that is needed for a 1L SA in TX. Sounds like you have more than enough ties. 2L SA does not even require ties, just genuine interest; being from the south is often enough (say Georgia or Louisiana or whatnot), though even that may not be necessary. For 1L SA, I recommend applying around Dec. 1.

I grew up in TX, went to HLS for my 3 yrs and felt that it helped a lot in my 1L/2L summers. Worked as a 1L SA and at two firms that were my top choice for 2L summer, w/ median grades at the time. Get median grades, be a good interviewer, seem interested in TX + HLS = TX biglaw pretty easily. Probably need better than median grades for Susman though, fyi.

Teflon_Don

Postby Teflon_Don » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:47 pm

Meh
Last edited by Teflon_Don on Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:44 pm

Teflon_Don wrote:Thanks for the advice, everyone. Since grades don't come out prior to December 1, I assume it's fine to apply to TX firms for a 1L SA without my grades? Also, To doubles point, what if (worst case scenario) I'm below median.. Would that screw me for TX Biglaw or am I still fairly safe? Thanks again

Yes, apply as soon as you can. Applying from Harvard will be a big boost. And even below median, you'll get opportunities. Maybe not with the top firms, but definitely large firms that pay market or close to it.

Teflon_Don

Postby Teflon_Don » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:04 pm

Last edited by Teflon_Don on Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:16 pm

Teflon_Don wrote:Thanks for the advice, everyone. Since grades don't come out prior to December 1, I assume it's fine to apply to TX firms for a 1L SA without my grades? Also, To doubles point, what if (worst case scenario) I'm below median.. Would that screw me for TX Biglaw or am I still fairly safe? Thanks again

Apply before grades come out for sure. My offers for 1L SA came in BEFORE my grades for the fall came out, in fact. Chances are you'll do some interviews during your winter break, and they'll decide shortly after (couple of weeks?).

Below median won't hurt too much for TX biglaw, but like any market, you have to do well on your interview. imo, at HLS, I'd rather have below median grades and very good interviewing skills than very good grades and below median interviewing skills :P As kalvano said, below median grades won't lock you out of really anywhere except the most elite firms, like Wachtell or W&C or Susman, etc.; it obviously doesn't HELP you, but it isn't damning.

Bad grades though (all Ps or all Ps w/ an LP) will probably hurt you in any market, TX included. That being said, I think you'd still manage a TX biglaw 2L SA...just not at your first choice firm I bet, and instead at one of the 'smaller' ones.

justinp

Postby justinp » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:10 pm

Just echoing other posters-- you're golden. Houston is the best market for 1L SAs but folks get Dallas and (occasionally) Austin as well. If you interview well and have a good pre-LS resume, you'll likely get at least one offer before grades come out, which you can use to leverage others.

Tx biglaw loooooves HLS.

BerkeleyBear

Postby BerkeleyBear » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:13 pm

You lucky bastard OP.

Presidentjlh

Postby Presidentjlh » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:24 pm

I can't imagine Harvard grads have trouble anywhere. You're golden, OP, provided you don't kill someone and flunk out (The latter would probably be the most detrimental thing, actually)

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”