Post removed...

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
PatriotP74

Post removed...

Postby PatriotP74 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:32 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by PatriotP74 on Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bronte

Re: Specialties in and after law school?

Postby Bronte » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:39 pm

No, there are not certain courses you need to take in order to practice in a particular area. One could take all business-related courses in 2L and 3L year and then spend his career doing DUIs. Of course, most people try to take at least some classes that are related to what they hope to do.

PatriotP74

Post removed...

Postby PatriotP74 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:49 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by PatriotP74 on Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:56 pm

No problem.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:59 pm

PatriotP74 wrote:
Bronte wrote:No, there are not certain courses you need to take in order to practice in a particular area. One could take all business-related courses in 2L and 3L year and then spend his career doing DUIs. Of course, most people try to take at least some classes that are related to what they hope to do.

Perfect, i of course would never plan on taking all of one class to do some other sort of law but i just was curious as to if one could spread out their classes to take in a few different areas if they wanted, and you answered my question perfectly!

Thanks!

For what it's worth, I've been criticized for a number of things I've done in terms of course selection by both professors and administrators at my school. First, I was criticized for taking too many seminars, which might be valid. But more shockingly, I was criticized for not having a focus - for taking a number courses such as housing, employment, health, etc. Apparently the administration here thinks you should be taking bar courses only or otherwise focused on a niche area, but not pursuing a breath of public interest-y areas with the hope that one of them would work out.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”