Looking for information about a certain case

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Mojosodope

Looking for information about a certain case

Postby Mojosodope » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:45 pm

I am a 0L that will be applying next cycle. Anyway I am researching a certain case for my own knowledge because it involved my grandfather. He is now passed away, and I never had a chance to discuss this with him before I was old enough to understand.

From what I have been able to gather, KFC used his cooker and they had an verbal agreement as far as payment but when it came time to pay they just ignore him and the statute of limitations ended up passing by the time it reached the courts. I am looking for more details about the case.

The only information I can gather is about the appeal which is listed here:
21 F.3d 428: Neal W. Thompson; and Precision Processing, Inc.,plaintiffs-appellants, v. Kentucky Fried Chicken Corporation; and Heublein, Inc.,defendants-appellees

Basically, I am asking for help in getting information on the entire case not just the appeal. Where would I be able to look this up or get information because google does not provide much?

A. Nony Mouse

Re: Looking for information about a certain case

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:15 pm

Do you have access to Westlaw/Lexis? Searching for the case history will give you the district court order preceding the appeal. If you want all the actual pleadings filed in court in the case, you will probably have to go to the archive for the federal district court where the case was filed (I know Westlaw has some case pleadings but not sure how to access them - depends on your access plan).

Mojosodope

Postby Mojosodope » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:02 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Do you have access to Westlaw/Lexis? Searching for the case history will give you the district court order preceding the appeal. If you want all the actual pleadings filed in court in the case, you will probably have to go to the archive for the federal district court where the case was filed (I know Westlaw has some case pleadings but not sure how to access them - depends on your access plan).

No I do not have access, as I am still in undergrad. Would that be my best bet, or maybe ask one of my business law teachers to help me research it?

Postby 2014 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:29 am

The COA opinion you referenced is like one paragraph. The District Court one is a bit more extensive (4 pages) and is on Westlaw (And i assume Lexis). The westlaw cite to it is 1993 WL 764505 to the extent that it helps you. I'd pdf it for you but I'm relatively certain that doing so would be some sort of breach of something I agreed to not breach, so you are better off finding someone in person to help you.

If you are looking for briefs or motions that were filed, none of them are on Westlaw for this case, so you might have to go to the courthouse as was suggested, or to the attorney who represented your grandfather.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”