Cooley Grad, let it rip. Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
rad lulz

Platinum

Re: Cooley Grad, let it rip.

Post by rad lulz » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:52 pm

jas1503 wrote:It's amazing to see that people are actually taking this seriously. If you think this guy's really from Cooley, then I've got a plot of land on Mars for sale. It could make you very rich, PM for Paypal info.

The Southwestern student is clearly legit; this is just playing off people's -odd- desperation to talk down to Cooley students.

Even if flame, it's a decent one

I'll let it ride

Presidentjlh

Silver

Post by Presidentjlh » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:52 pm

I feel like Dante chatting with some poor damned soul in Hell. It sounds awful there.

PRgradBYU

Silver

Post by PRgradBYU » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:57 pm

Thanks for the insight (and admittedly the laughs), OP. I'd still like to see you answer this question, though:
Cicero76 wrote:Do students drop the Cooley bomb in conversation a lot? Like are they really proud, so that when people say "What do you do?" their response is "Oh yeah, I go to law school. At Thomas Cooley SoL." Or do they try to hide it because they're embarrassed of the name?
I've been having to correspond with an attorney for work, and I found out he graduated from Cooley Law. Before even meeting the guy, I instinctively thought "LOL." (He ended up being a schmuck anyway, but that's a whole other story.) I now realize how judgmental and facetious it was of me to think that, but I think the reality is that Cooley grads aren't taken very seriously. What are your thoughts on that?

Cooleytruthsayer

New

Post by Cooleytruthsayer » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:07 pm

Jimbo_Jones wrote:Yo OP, why not "just go solo"?
right..........Speaking of that, I forgot to add before that the last few terms on campus I noticed the Profs HARD suggesting that people "team up and start your own firms with your classmates" "that way you will start as partner while the suckers are trying to kiss butt at the white stalking firms" . That is like going solo on steroids. Don't have enough food for the one lion in the cage, well then simple solution, add more hungry lions to share the same already limited amount of food........

That plus the way they try to act superior to big firms hurts my head a bit. I'd say sour grapes, but that would only make sense if the students and recent grads do it, when Profs are pushing for it..................Cooley-Aid.

Presidentjlh

Silver

Post by Presidentjlh » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:10 pm

Cooleytruthsayer wrote:
right..........Speaking of that, I forgot to add before that the last few terms on campus I noticed the Profs HARD suggesting that people "team up and start your own firms with your classmates" "that way you will start as partner while the suckers are trying to kiss butt at the white stalking firms" . That is like going solo on steroids. Don't have enough food for the one lion in the cage, well then simple solution, add more hungry lions to share the same already limited amount of food........

That plus the way they try to act superior to big firms hurts my head a bit. I'd say sour grapes, but that would only make sense if the students and recent grads do it, when Profs are pushing for it..................Cooley-Aid.
How much do these numbskull profs get paid? I can only imagine very well.

Thanks for sharing this with us. Anyone considering Cooley needs to read this thread.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Cooleytruthsayer

New

Post by Cooleytruthsayer » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:14 pm

Wormfather wrote:
TLS wrote:OP, it's cool that you're ripping on Cooley. But FWIW, you might want to take your complaints regarding the students out of the "they wear do-rags, wife-beaters, say "MMMMHHHHHMMM!" and all "look like they're on welfare"" realm. Frankly, we know what you're getting at and you're coming off a wee-bit racist.
Dude said it was a Jerry Springer type atmosphere. Say what you will but that show is equal opportunity. The situations mentioned and the way they were mentioned in now way pointed to blacks exclusively.

Your racist-dar is off, way off.
Its been a few years since I watched Springer (not sure if it is even still on) but I recall it was mostly white trailer folk.

The racial dynamic varies by campus, as does it by schedule (mornings,afternoons,nights,weekends,etc)

Trust me, you pick a stereotype for ANY undereducated group of people and you'll see it there in mass (including the M&M wannabes and the simpsons style slack yawed yokles). Yes there are those who appear to have had other options, some no doubt did, others are just good at acting, but here is the best comparison I can think of. Harvard vs community college. Sure you get some super stars with their own personal reasons for picking to stay close to home (that's fine I guess) but the AVERAGE student is well......a community college student. Cooley is the same idea. They are the community college of law schools (combined with a franchise mentality to spread to florida and beyond)

Cooleytruthsayer

New

Post by Cooleytruthsayer » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:19 pm

Cicero76 wrote:Do students drop the Cooley bomb in conversation a lot? Like are they really proud, so that when people say "What do you do?" their response is "Oh yeah, I go to law school. At Thomas Cooley SoL." Or do they try to hide it because they're embarrassed of the name?
It varies, but they have more pride on the campuses that are the only law schools in the town I have noticed.

For many they come from backgrounds where any college at all is impressive, so those ones take the most pride in being in law school at all (which is fine, nothing wrong with pride I guess)

Then you get the ones who tell the two part lie.
1. I "CHOSE" to go to law school even though I had "perfect" scores to get into medical school like my parents wanted me to, I just took the lsat for fun and did "good" on that too.
2. I "CHOSE" cooley since (random reasons x)

Followed of course by "I don't care if my parents cut me off but didn't do so to my brother who is a sheep at went to Harvard Medical......I am my OWN PERSON AND PROUD!!!!"

I have seen that several times too.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:21 pm

rad lulz wrote:ty for taking qs bro

you made any good bros at Cooley?

what's the social scene like?

Cooleytruthsayer

New

Post by Cooleytruthsayer » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:23 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:
Wormfather wrote:
TLS wrote:OP, it's cool that you're ripping on Cooley. But FWIW, you might want to take your complaints regarding the students out of the "they wear do-rags, wife-beaters, say "MMMMHHHHHMMM!" and all "look like they're on welfare"" realm. Frankly, we know what you're getting at and you're coming off a wee-bit racist.
Dude said it was a Jerry Springer type atmosphere. Say what you will but that show is equal opportunity. The situations mentioned and the way they were mentioned in now way pointed to blacks exclusively.

The "mmmhmm" and the "crack" comment definitely point towards some sort of black stereotyping. Not saying whether its good or bad but it's not way off like you claim.
Doesn't make it not true. To be fair I knew a white guy who commuted from Chicago every week to go to Cooley and stayed in a hotel for those nights (many come from there, DC, and even as far as California by plane) Anyways, he always talked about "how cocaine should be legal" and other stuff that was a bit odd, but overall he seemed like an ok guy at first. He ended up getting WAY too skinny and covered in tats, and eventually "chose to leave" in 3L, I repeat in 3L.

So..........There are all types, including the ones that do look like a copy&paste of the lady foxnews keeps using to discuss the obamaphone issue (they are there, lots of them) but then there are Mr. Chicago too..............

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Cooleytruthsayer

New

Post by Cooleytruthsayer » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:25 pm

Wormfather wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:
Wormfather wrote:

The "mmmhmm" and the "crack" comment definitely point towards some sort of black stereotyping. Not saying whether its good or bad but it's not way off like you claim.
That's the nicest thing you've ever said to me. :cry: :oops:

To be clear just because he mentions attributes that are stereotypes of blacks, does not mean he's refering to blacks. Plenty of people who arnt black are [insert attributes listed by OP here].

Question: With the median at 2.0 do any professors give As or are they told not to?
After first year yes, electives are pretty easy to ace. However they add extra required courses (more than any other in the nation according to them anyways) and many profs have told me that they get yelled it if they give any higher than one or two A grades for a class of 70 (most 1L classes have at least that many in the class) and if the average score is above a B- they get super chewed due to the desire "to prevent transfers".

Cooleytruthsayer

New

Post by Cooleytruthsayer » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:26 pm

sinfiery wrote:So, like, how do people feel about the 150k+ debt their in?

Did students realize the employment prospects going in?
What salary do they expect to earn as a solo?
Some get scholarships, but mostly we get told to use IBR.
They push that pretty hard.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:29 pm

Cooleytruthsayer wrote:

So in that respect, not that much different that "T1" skoolz

Cooleytruthsayer

New

Post by Cooleytruthsayer » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:32 pm

PRgradBYU wrote:Thanks for the insight (and admittedly the laughs), OP. I'd still like to see you answer this question, though:
I've been having to correspond with an attorney for work, and I found out he graduated from Cooley Law. Before even meeting the guy, I instinctively thought "LOL." (He ended up being a schmuck anyway, but that's a whole other story.) I now realize how judgmental and facetious it was of me to think that, but I think the reality is that Cooley grads aren't taken very seriously. What are your thoughts on that?
I agree but the profs always have "guest speakers" who are prior cooely grads come back and talk about how every judge and partner they meet either thinks cooley is better than other schools, since we "teach practice not theory"(no we don't by the way), and that they saw cooley grads smoke ivy grads in court, and that most lawyers outside of Michigan "never even heard of cooley"

It feels like being in a North Korean re-education camp

Raise your hand to point out the real life falsities of that and you get shunned

oh, and they assume that all posters on the internet speaking ill of cooley are, and I quote, "15 year old kids in their underpants, or unemployed college dropouts" Gotta love that baseless ad hominem logic jerk too.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Cooleytruthsayer

New

Post by Cooleytruthsayer » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:33 pm

Presidentjlh wrote:
Cooleytruthsayer wrote:

How much do these numbskull profs get paid? I can only imagine very well.

Thanks for sharing this with us. Anyone considering Cooley needs to read this thread.
I don't know, but I do know the majority tends to have other jobs. Many also teach at the community colleges, some are judges, etc.

Cooleytruthsayer

New

Post by Cooleytruthsayer » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:34 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Cooleytruthsayer wrote:

So in that respect, not that much different that "T1" skoolz
I would have to take your word on that. Did they push IBR where you went?

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:34 pm

How deluded is the school with regards to the rankings they put out? Do they actually take that crap seriously? Or is it just a tool meant to mislead the most gullible and thick-headed prospective students? Does the school truly stand behind those rankings?

There are arguably worse schools than Cooley, but I think its largely because of these rankings that they get the worst beating of all on TLS.

Cooleytruthsayer

New

Post by Cooleytruthsayer » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:44 pm

kaiser wrote:How deluded is the school with regards to the rankings they put out? Do they actually take that crap seriously? Or is it just a tool meant to mislead the most gullible and thick-headed prospective students? Does the school truly stand behind those rankings?

There are arguably worse schools than Cooley, but I think its largely because of these rankings that they get the worst beating of all on TLS.
I hear people go both ways on it. I think it is mostly Bennans way of scamming $300K (or more I think) per year in "salary" to write those up and do a few dry speeches.

The most popular thing I hear said about it is "well yeah we need to improve them, but they are still better than the usnews ones"
The usual not hot or cold lukewarm BS people say when they just to hear their own voice but are too scared to have an opinion in it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:48 pm

Cooleytruthsayer wrote:
kaiser wrote:How deluded is the school with regards to the rankings they put out? Do they actually take that crap seriously? Or is it just a tool meant to mislead the most gullible and thick-headed prospective students? Does the school truly stand behind those rankings?

I hear people go both ways on it. I think it is mostly Bennans way of scamming $300K (or more I think) per year in "salary" to write those up and do a few dry speeches.

The most popular thing I hear said about it is "well yeah we need to improve them, but they are still better than the usnews ones"
The usual not hot or cold lukewarm BS people say when they just to hear their own voice but are too scared to have an opinion in it.
Ok, so theres nobody you've come across who genuinely believes that, due to these rankings, that Cooley indeed is among the top few schools in the country?

Cooleytruthsayer

New

Post by Cooleytruthsayer » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:18 pm

kaiser wrote:
Cooleytruthsayer wrote:

Ok, so theres nobody you've come across who genuinely believes that, due to these rankings, that Cooley indeed is among the top few schools in the country?
I have met plenty who think that it is the #1 law school in the country (mostly DUE TO it letting people who otherwise be told no come in and take 5 years to do it) but they think it is "hip" or something like that to say a cliché line about the ratings themselves.
I'd say that most would tell you "I do think we are one of the best, if not THE best, but since we should get such bad publicity from the rankings we should just not publish them". Of course that is followed by a bunch of "fair and balanced" type BS which reminds me of the talking heads on foxnews (I bounce between them and the lib ones just to see how stupid both sides are on any given issue).

So in caveat:

The Cooley Rankings are the foxnews of lawschool
(love it, hate it, just come for the laughs, all up to the viewer)

DorthyMantooth

New

Post by DorthyMantooth » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:39 pm

What's the night life like amongst Cooley folks?

Cooleytruthsayer

New

Post by Cooleytruthsayer » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:42 pm

DorthyMantooth wrote:What's the night life like amongst Cooley folks?
Depends on the student.
Many are weekend students who spend the week back home with a wife and 2.5 kids or whatever the average stats are now days

Others have classes that don't even start until 8pm.

For the rest, just imagine 40 year olds acting like 22 year olds, and there you go I guess.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:51 pm

Cooleytruthsayer wrote:
Depends on the student.
Many are weekend students who spend the week back home with a wife and 2.5 kids or whatever the average stats are now days

For the rest, just imagine 40 year olds acting like 22 year olds, and there you go I guess.
is it pathetic?

Presidentjlh

Silver

Post by Presidentjlh » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:56 pm

stillwater wrote:
Cooleytruthsayer wrote:
Depends on the student.

is it pathetic?
I'll answer for him: What do you think?

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:59 pm

Presidentjlh wrote:
stillwater wrote:
Cooleytruthsayer wrote:
Depends on the student.

is it pathetic?
+1
If Johnny Depp can't pull it off I doubt Cooley students are

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:04 pm

Cobretti wrote:
Presidentjlh wrote:
stillwater wrote:
Cooleytruthsayer wrote:
Depends on the student.

is it pathetic?
+1
If Johnny Depp can't pull it off I doubt Cooley students are
rhetorical question dudes.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”