Changing Social Classes

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
Scotusnerd
Posts: 813
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:36 pm

Re: Changing Social Classes

Postby Scotusnerd » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:42 pm

Kafkaesquire wrote:Has anyone grown up from a lower/middle class background, went to law school, and had their professional growth put strain on their old family relationships (for whatever reason)?

I know it's a pointless personal question, but I would enjoy it if people could humor me with pertinent anecdotes.

It's a Friday, guys. Don't take things too seriously :-P


Parental units are chill about it. The lawyer jokes get old though.

User avatar
kay2016
Posts: 1121
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:23 am

Re: Changing Social Classes

Postby kay2016 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:35 am

My parents are having a hard time realizing that the legal market sucks currently..

Dad constantly makes remarks about how my loans don't matter because ill make it all back.. So he's reluctant to help any, even though he'll be making 2-3 times what ill make if I'm lucky

TooOld4This
Posts: 638
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:09 am

Re: Changing Social Classes

Postby TooOld4This » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:33 am

kayleighcheyenne wrote:My parents are having a hard time realizing that the legal market sucks currently..

Dad constantly makes remarks about how my loans don't matter because ill make it all back.. So he's reluctant to help any, even though he'll be making 2-3 times what ill make if I'm lucky


And he's at least two decades closer to retirement than you and isn't the one that taking out the debt. If you don't like your debt to employment chances, rethink your law school decision.

User avatar
jingosaur
Posts: 2195
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:33 am

Re: Changing Social Classes

Postby jingosaur » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:57 am

An ex-GF stopped talking to me when I said that I wanted to go to law school because law school was "her dream" and it's not fair that "I just wake up one day and decide I want to be a lawyer and can get into a better school". Other than that, most of my friends are suprisingly aware of how bad the legal market is and aren't jealous of me.

User avatar
Scotusnerd
Posts: 813
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:36 pm

Re: Changing Social Classes

Postby Scotusnerd » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:59 am

goldbh7 wrote:An ex-GF stopped talking to me when I said that I wanted to go to law school because law school was "her dream" and it's not fair that "I just wake up one day and decide I want to be a lawyer and can get into a better school". Other than that, most of my friends are suprisingly aware of how bad the legal market is and aren't jealous of me.


From the sound of it, making her an ex was a wise move. :lol:

User avatar
kay2016
Posts: 1121
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:23 am

Re: Changing Social Classes

Postby kay2016 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:32 pm

TooOld4This wrote:
kayleighcheyenne wrote:My parents are having a hard time realizing that the legal market sucks currently..

Dad constantly makes remarks about how my loans don't matter because ill make it all back.. So he's reluctant to help any, even though he'll be making 2-3 times what ill make if I'm lucky


And he's at least two decades closer to retirement than you and isn't the one that taking out the debt. If you don't like your debt to employment chances, rethink your law school decision.


Perfectly happy with my law school decision. Thanks.

Sorry if I wasn't clear, but I don't mean him pay for my LS. Just silly stuff, like for instance, he thinks I should refinance my car for living expenses and do other sorts of non student loan leveraging because he doesn't realize that the legal market is changing and that it isn't a guarantee that in three years I'll easily be making 6 figures and loans will be irrelevant.

User avatar
Rory19
Posts: 299
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:14 am

Re: Changing Social Classes

Postby Rory19 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:51 pm

I think what is hard to stomach right now for me, as I am just now beginning law school, is people's immediate response of "well at least you'll be making bank for the rest of your life..." not necessarily, as we on TLS know all too well. People get frustrated with me for having anxiety about my future employment prospects and debt but I truly lose sleep over those two topics all the time. Its hard when those closest to you just don't get it.

On the other hand, in terms of family from humble roots, my grandmother literally sobbed when I told her about my scholarship. She said she had prayed for this every day and I should move across the country, pursue my dreams and know that she understood why I was gone and that she loved me. That was pretty awesome.

User avatar
Kafkaesquire
Posts: 180
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:55 pm

Re: Changing Social Classes

Postby Kafkaesquire » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:27 pm

Rory19 wrote:I think what is hard to stomach right now for me, as I am just now beginning law school, is people's immediate response of "well at least you'll be making bank for the rest of your life..." not necessarily, as we on TLS know all too well. People get frustrated with me for having anxiety about my future employment prospects and debt but I truly lose sleep over those two topics all the time. Its hard when those closest to you just don't get it.

On the other hand, in terms of family from humble roots, my grandmother literally sobbed when I told her about my scholarship. She said she had prayed for this every day and I should move across the country, pursue my dreams and know that she understood why I was gone and that she loved me. That was pretty awesome.


Yeah. I don't even know what to say about our legal job market. Part of me seriously wishes that a bunch of lawyers would just drop off the planet so that I could stop feeling financial anxiety about my decision to practice law.

Oh, well. At least I have an engineering degree to help me out.

Edit: My parents think they wasted their money by helping me get through engineering, and then having me decide to potentially become a patent lawyer. "Since you’re going to law school, your engineering degree is a waste." "No, dad. I may still need it." “Oh (*doesn't understand and immediately loses interest*)."
Last edited by Kafkaesquire on Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
laotze
Posts: 242
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:55 pm

Re: Changing Social Classes

Postby laotze » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:51 pm

kayleighcheyenne wrote:My parents are having a hard time realizing that the legal market sucks currently..

Dad constantly makes remarks about how my loans don't matter because ill make it all back.. So he's reluctant to help any, even though he'll be making 2-3 times what ill make if I'm lucky


Similar but sort of inverse issue with mine. My family simply can't comprehend why I would choose to pay ~half sticker at a T14 (i.e. nearly six figure debt) rather than accept a full ride at a low T50 or a TTT. No matter how many times I explain the economics of the situation, they refuse to believe that a 90% shot at legal employment with more debt might be a smarter gamble than a 30% shot (make that <10% biglaw) at legal employment with less debt.

It's worsened by the fact that some of the TTTs in question have fantastic undergraduate reputations, and they can't possibly imagine how a school with great academics in one degree could be a comparative shithole in another.
Not once have they congratulated me on my T14 acceptances; every law school related conversation consists of berating me for my failure to take the "free" option.

/Bitchfest




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests