Macbook Air vs. Macbook Pro

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.

Macbook Air or Pro for Law School?

Air
61%
Pro
39%

Total votes: 95

Teflon_Don

Re: Macbook Air vs. Macbook Pro

Postby Teflon_Don » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:25 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Lubberlubber wrote:
Mack12 wrote:Anyone with 13"s run into problems with the screen size when outlining etc when multiple screens are up together? I'd really rather have the portabiity of this size but am worried that I might need that 15" screen space.

This really sums up how neurotic TLS is. Just get the goddamn computer you like, they're all fine...No one is going to have an advantage over you just because their screen is 2 inches bigger...

He didn't say advantage dood. And he is right, side by side screens is very usefor for law related work.

I used it in class taking notes and surfing the web. I used it outlining--dragging notes from one screen the other. I used it on tests, having the outline on one side and the test on the other. I used it for journal work, having one side be the source and the other side be the work. I've used it writing papers, memos, or anything. One side is research, one side is the writing. Hell I use it just fucking around on the internet, or surfing the web while watching a tv show.

It's a very useful method of working on a laptop. I wouldn't dismiss it as law student neuroticism. Why the fuck is someone going to blow 1000 bucks on a computer, when you can get one that works just fine for 400 bucks if they don't want it to be perfect.

Though maybe with a 13 inch retina, the resolution is good enough to do side by side and get as much real estate as a regular 15 inch.

the dual screens sounds pretty awesome. But, you could use it during an exam? Also, I'm a computer noob. What kind/size of screen would be good to buy to have side-by-side set up?

Postby 09042014 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:34 pm

My school doesn't use testing software, so I bet at schools who do, you probably can't.

You can probably split screen pretty effectively at 13. But I think resolution matters a bit more, so maybe the retina 13 is perfect. it's easy on my 15.6 inch.

I tend to think law students use their PCs so much that the bigger screens are better. But some value weight.

ariadne328

Postby ariadne328 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:56 pm

Teflon_Don wrote:But, none of the additional stuff is worth buying imo (apple care, etc).

I have to disagree with that. As the owner of a number of Mac's over the years I always get apple care. I've use it for small things on two of the computers and it was useful but didn't completely pay for itself (maybe $50 less than what I paid initially).

However, it really saved my life when my hard drive crashed on the main computer I had during college just before finals. They basically just gave me a new computer and were able to transfer over my data without any cost to me and in a timely manner. The whole thing took less than two weeks and I would have been screwed without apple care both in terms of time of the repairs and with what the costs would have been otherwise.

I'm not trying to be an apple sales person, but I know I can get it for an extra $180 with my student discount, which seems well worth the price to me. :)

Xs20

Postby Xs20 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:01 pm

ariadne328 wrote:
Teflon_Don wrote:But, none of the additional stuff is worth buying imo (apple care, etc).

I have to disagree with that. As the owner of a number of Mac's over the years I always get apple care. I've use it for small things on two of the computers and it was useful but didn't completely pay for itself (maybe $50 less than what I paid initially).

However, it really saved my life when my hard drive crashed on the main computer I had during college just before finals. They basically just gave me a new computer and were able to transfer over my data without any cost to me and in a timely manner. The whole thing took less than two weeks and I would have been screwed without apple care both in terms of time of the repairs and with what the costs would have been otherwise.

I'm not trying to be an apple sales person, but I know I can get it for an extra $180 with my student discount, which seems well worth the price to me. :)

How is it better than this for the same price? http://www.squaretrade.com/laptop-warranty

ariadne328

Postby ariadne328 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:32 pm

Xs20 wrote:How is it better than this for the same price? http://www.squaretrade.com/laptop-warranty

A cursory glance shows me that they are actually more expensive ($300 for a warranty on a $1,000 to $1,499 laptop compared to the $180 I, and I imagine most people here, can get with a student discount). I don't know that much more about the alternative service you suggested, but I know at least with apple I prefer to deal directly with the company than through a third party for repairs. I know they have a preference to deal with things themselves as well and one a computer has been worked on by someone else they don't like to touch it. I suppose it is a personal preference, but I would rather have them fixing my computer than another company. My two cents, FWIW. :)

Xs20

Postby Xs20 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:49 pm

Oh, I was only looking at the $1500-2000 price point for the 15" retina MBP. That's the same price, but I didn't realize Apple gives a student discount on Applecare too. Still, accidental damage seems much more likely than randomly malfunctioning components, especially if it's got a SSD, so I'd pay extra for that even if it was more. SquareTrade has amazing customer service too, in my experience. I don't know much about how Applecare works though, so maybe I'm missing something.

Ruxin1

Postby Ruxin1 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:03 pm

Xs20 wrote:Oh, I was only looking at the $1500-2000 price point for the 15" retina MBP. That's the same price, but I didn't realize Apple gives a student discount on Applecare too. Still, accidental damage seems much more likely than randomly malfunctioning components, especially if it's got a SSD, so I'd pay extra for that even if it was more. SquareTrade has amazing customer service too, in my experience. I don't know much about how Applecare works though, so maybe I'm missing something.

Applecare kind of sucks -- If anything seriously goes wrong you are going to end up getting gaped on repair fees that will probably end up costing the same as the laptop. You can get a 2 year warranty from best buy for like 300$ and they don't repair apple products so they just give you a new machine.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:54 am

(is apple fanboy)

(claims apple is WAY better than other pc makers)

(with a straight face says expensive warranty is definitely needed)

ScottRiqui

Postby ScottRiqui » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:21 am

Ruxin1 wrote:
Xs20 wrote:Oh, I was only looking at the $1500-2000 price point for the 15" retina MBP. That's the same price, but I didn't realize Apple gives a student discount on Applecare too. Still, accidental damage seems much more likely than randomly malfunctioning components, especially if it's got a SSD, so I'd pay extra for that even if it was more. SquareTrade has amazing customer service too, in my experience. I don't know much about how Applecare works though, so maybe I'm missing something.

Applecare kind of sucks -- If anything seriously goes wrong you are going to end up getting gaped on repair fees that will probably end up costing the same as the laptop. You can get a 2 year warranty from best buy for like 300$ and they don't repair apple products so they just give you a new machine.

How does the bolded part happen? I've only had Applecare on one of our laptops, but it covers both parts and labor for repairs. I needed to use the coverage twice. Once they just handed me a new battery at the store, and the other time I left the laptop there for a screen replacement and they called me a few days later to come get it - no charges in either case.

I don't bother with Applecare now that I'm comfortable enough to do any repairs I need myself. Even a DIY replacement of the mainboard is cheaper than the Applecare premium.

RSterling

Postby RSterling » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:39 am

ScottRiqui wrote:
Ruxin1 wrote:

How does the bolded part happen? I've only had Applecare on one of our laptops, but it covers both parts and labor for repairs. I needed to use the coverage twice. Once they just handed me a new battery at the store, and the other time I left the laptop there for a screen replacement and they called me a few days later to come get it - no charges in either case.

I don't bother with Applecare now that I'm comfortable enough to do any repairs I need myself. Even a DIY replacement of the mainboard is cheaper than the Applecare premium.

Re bolded: While this is probably true for you, the vast majority of people will not have the background knowledge to replace a motherboard without risking further damage.

As someone considering a macbook air, I think I'm going to go with applecare. Beyond the typical repairs that will happen, at the end of the plan, you can take your computer to an apple store and basically ask them for a "tune-up" where they will replace worn down parts for free while you're still on the plan. Well worth it imo. That's not something you'll be able to do with a third-party plan.

Ruxin1

Postby Ruxin1 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:13 pm

ScottRiqui wrote:
Ruxin1 wrote:

Any visible ding or scratch on the outside of the machine will void it since applecare does not cover anything accidental.

Ruxin1

Postby Ruxin1 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:14 pm

Desert Fox wrote:(is apple fanboy)

I'm definitely not an apple fanboy, I'm just saying if you are dropping over $2,000 dollars for something it is probably worth the warranty. I mean you would insure your rolex or AP right?

Postby 09042014 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:15 pm

Ruxin1 wrote:

I'm definitely not an apple fanboy, I'm just saying if you are dropping over $2,000 dollars for something it is probably worth the warranty. I mean you would insure your rolex or AP right?

apple care isn't insurance.

Ruxin1

Postby Ruxin1 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:20 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Ruxin1 wrote:

eh close enough, I just felt better about being able to go two years not having to worry about spilling coffee or water on my computer without getting fucked.

ScottRiqui

Postby ScottRiqui » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:21 pm

RSterling wrote:
ScottRiqui wrote:
Ruxin1 wrote:

Re bolded: While this is probably true for you, the vast majority of people will not have the background knowledge to replace a motherboard without risking further damage.

Oh, I agree 100%. I was just giving some background on why I've only purchased Applecare once, even though I think it's a good plan.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:25 pm

Ruxin1 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Ruxin1 wrote:

eh close enough, I just felt better about being able to go two years not having to worry about spilling coffee or water on my computer without getting fucked.

I'm pretty sure Apple Care doesn't cover spilling coffee on it.

Ruxin1

Postby Ruxin1 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:27 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

Yeah that was my point?

Postby 09042014 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:32 pm

Ruxin1 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Yeah that was my point?

I'm really confused. Why would you not worry about coffee if apple care doesn't cover it.

ScottRiqui

Postby ScottRiqui » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:38 pm

Desert Fox wrote:I'm pretty sure Apple Care doesn't cover spilling coffee on it.

No, it doesn't. But what many people don't know is that it *does* cover things like an external display if you bought it at the same time as the computer, and wireless routers/storage like the Airport Express, Airport Extreme, or Time Capsule, as long as you bought it no earlier than two years before you bought the computer. The optional external Superdrive is also covered if you bought it with the computer. So one Applecare plan purchase can protect a lot of gear, depending on what you buy and when you buy it.

Ruxin1

Postby Ruxin1 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:40 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Ruxin1 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Yeah that was my point?

I'm really confused. Why would you not worry about coffee if apple care doesn't cover it.

Copped a 3rd party warranty. Apple Care is TTT.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:40 pm

Ruxin1 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Ruxin1 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Yeah that was my point?

My bad, I think I jumped in mid comment stream.

ScottRiqui

Postby ScottRiqui » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:06 pm

Ruxin1 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Ruxin1 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Yeah that was my point?

Who'd you go with? If you got Squaretrade, I agree it's a good plan, but depending on your situation, I don't think it's necessarily a clear winner over Applecare.

Xs20

Postby Xs20 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:18 pm

Last edited by Xs20 on Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MarkinKansasCity

Postby MarkinKansasCity » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:40 pm

Alternatively, buy a $500 pc laptop, and just buy a new one if you break it. Still cheaper than MBA/MBP even without Applecare. Apple makes cool looking shit, but I can't afford it. We're law students. Don't buy a Rolex if you can get buy with a Timex that tells time just as well.

chem!

Postby chem! » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:44 pm

MarkinKansasCity wrote:Alternatively, buy a $500 pc laptop, and just buy a new one if you break it. Still cheaper than MBA/MBP even without Applecare. Apple makes cool looking shit, but I can't afford it. We're law students. Don't buy a Rolex if you can get buy with a Timex that tells time just as well.

I tell myself this is what I should do, but I can't bring myself to do it. I just like Macs too much.

This is why I haven't bought a laptop yet.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”