Undergrad?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Madiya

Undergrad?

Postby Madiya » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:57 am

Hey guys,
I'm so glad to have found this forum, I'm really looking forward to gain tons of information.
I'm currently in grade 12 and super confused as to what program I should choose in university for my bachelors if I want to go in to law.
I want to do my bachelors and right away prepare for my LSAT'S. The other confusion I have is that I want to be able to work after I'm done my bachelors degree before going to law school/ doing my LSAT'S. I heard Criminology is good, however I'm most likely not going to get a job with that bachelors degree.
Thank you so much in advance!

hephaestus

Re: Undergrad?

Postby hephaestus » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:05 am

Major in something useful that can get you a non-law related job, like engineering, finance or supply chain management. Working before law school is a great idea and you should stay open to non-law opportunities. Also, GPA is treated the same regardless of major, so you won't impress schools with a difficult major.

Madiya

Postby Madiya » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:10 am

I really like that idea, but I have prepared myself to just be in law. I want to get a law related job before entering law school.
I hope you know what I mean :roll:

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:23 pm

Madiya wrote:I really like that idea, but I have prepared myself to just be in law. I want to get a law related job before entering law school.
I hope you know what I mean :roll:

be a paralegal, get depressed, start drinking heavily.

Madiya

Postby Madiya » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:50 pm

Al right, what are some jobs in demands then? What do you think I should do my bachelors in that will get me a job before law school (meaning right after bachelors) and will also get me good grades?

Thanks so much in advance, really appreciate you guys taking your time out.
Also.. I'm not too sure what paralegals do + what are their pays like? :roll:

thelawdoctor

Postby thelawdoctor » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:57 pm

Undergrad means almost nothing. Just keep the GPA high and do good on the lsat.

Better to have a 4.0 at ITT Tech than to get a 2.5 at Harvard when applying to a JD.

They also don't care about the major. I would say go "liberal arts" or something easy like that.

Need proof? Email the admissions depts. at the law schools that you want to attend and ask.

Spoiler: TV and movies LIED TO US!!! :evil:
Last edited by thelawdoctor on Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

txdude45

Postby txdude45 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:58 pm

Madiya wrote:Hey guys,
I'm so glad to have found this forum, I'm really looking forward to gain tons of information.
I'm currently in grade 12 and super confused as to what program I should choose in university for my bachelors if I want to go in to law.

You sound so canadian here and I love it.

1) Go to whatever school you want. So long as they give out bachelors degrees, you're good
2) Since you want to work first, make a list of jobs you think you'd enjoy doing for a year, or two
3) Pick the one which seems to correspond to majors that are easy at your school, or you otherwise know you could crush. GPA is the name of the game

buddyt

Postby buddyt » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:07 pm

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”