Define "Work Experience"

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
justonemoregame

Define "Work Experience"

Postby justonemoregame » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:16 pm

Sorry if a thread already exists, I did a cursory search. And maybe this is common sense, but I'd like some opinions on what types of Pre-LS work experience might fall into the following categories (and some comments on whether the categories really make a difference whatsoever):

Solid -
Focker's investment position: strong to quite strong -
Decent -
Meh, don't try to spin it too hard -
Don't mention this in an interview or include it on your resume if you can help it -

phillywc

Re: Define "Work Experience"

Postby phillywc » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:57 am

All I know is all my WE is one of the last two categories!

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:32 am

Work experience is typically categorized as anything where you were a full-time paid employee.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:40 am

I'm sure there are better and worse kinds of WE to have, but really, anything where you've been a full-time employee and can talk about it (especially what you accomplished) pretty much counts. Beyond that, it depends on what you want to do with your JD. If you're looking at certain kinds of jobs, certain kinds of WE is better - for instance, someone who wants to be a PD will benefit from different kinds of pre-LS WE than someone who wants to go into biglaw. So I don't know how you'd categorize that.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:21 pm

Good: You worked for at least a year or two full-time in a professional environment.
Best: The above plus what you actually did was relevant.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:20 pm

Should I even mention retail work or try my best to hide it from employers even if I can use it to bring up how I was able to study for the LSAT and succeed at both at once?

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:24 pm

justonemoregame wrote:Sorry if a thread already exists, I did a cursory search. And maybe this is common sense, but I'd like some opinions on what types of Pre-LS work experience might fall into the following categories (and some comments on whether the categories really make a difference whatsoever):

Solid -
Decent -
Don't mention this in an interview or include it on your resume if you can help it -

IMO:

Solid - IBanking/MBB Consulting/Military Officer
Strong - Military Enlisted/Relevant Legal Work/Policy Work
Decent - General unrelated professional work (i.e. accounting/engineering)
Meh - unrelated quasi-professional work (i.e. Sales)
Shitty - retail

ETA: 0L so I'm just talking about admissions process, not OCI

justonemoregame

Postby justonemoregame » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:34 pm

sinfiery wrote:Should I even mention retail work or try my best to hide it from employers even if I can use it to bring up how I was able to study for the LSAT and succeed at both at once?

This is one area where I'm happy to be a non-trad - I have enough experience to fill out a page w/o having to include the worst jobs. But, I wouldn't rate the rest that highly. Of course, if you don't have much experience going into LS, then an obvious strategy going into interviews is to simply have plenty else to talk about - summer job/research, first year of LS, interests, etc..

kay2016

Postby kay2016 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:39 pm

I mean, maybe this is just me.. Since I'm a K-JD as well...

But I feel like trying to "hide" retail/serving/crappy jobs isn't the answer either. Especially if it's all you've got. Yea, it probably isn't going to help.. But if you worked at Applebees or Bed Bath & Beyond part time through out your entire undergrad, that at least shows you're not a total screw up and that you weren't sitting on the couch with your iPhone all the time.

If you worked for a month and then got fired... Yea probably best not to mention it.

I tutored at my undergrad for 6 semesters, have 3-4 years restaurant experience, and several political internships.. Yea it's not going to stand out with those smart enough to take some time off and get real WE, but.. I have stuff to talk about I feel like.

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:44 pm

When I started interviewing for my 1L summer, I was nervous to list on my CV that I delivered pizzas to get through undergrad. But the hiring committee at (Vault 50) told me they're not expecting a stellar work history from a 23 year old and that delivering pizzas helps you handle customers and multitask.

Basically, don't try to bullshit. If you worked as a waiter during your summers and showed up 3 times to a nonprofit over four years, you can mention that you volunteered ocasionally, but that's not your work experience. For those of us who went straight into law school from UG, I believe the appropriate Texas phrase (and I'm still learning) is "you gotta dance with the one that brung ya."

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:45 pm

kayleighcheyenne wrote:I mean, maybe this is just me.. Since I'm a K-JD as well...

But I feel like trying to "hide" retail/serving/crappy jobs isn't the answer either. Especially if it's all you've got. Yea, it probably isn't going to help.. But if you worked at Applebees or Bed Bath & Beyond part time through out your entire undergrad, that at least shows you're not a total screw up and that you weren't sitting on the couch with your iPhone all the time.

If you worked for a month and then got fired... Yea probably best not to mention it.

I tutored at my undergrad for 6 semesters, have 3-4 years restaurant experience, and several political internships.. Yea it's not going to stand out with those smart enough to take some time off and get real WE, but.. I have stuff to talk about I feel like.

I agree even if your WE is shitty its not necessarily best to hide it. However I think trying to overplay your shitty WE can backfire. Putting 5 bullets underneath your applebee's job about all of the extreme stress you had to deal with as a server, or how impressive your management experience was since you were the senior bus boy, are things that might hurt you. I agree completely with the bolded though.

kay2016

Postby kay2016 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:49 pm

Agreed.

Trying to make part time WE into amazing jobs that changed the world... probably not the best idea.

Using the crappy WE to show that you are capable of getting up and going to work everyday, can deal with people, can multitask, understand how to act in a somewhat professional atmosphere... Those are things worth doing, if possible.

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:28 pm

Cobretti wrote: Putting 5 bullets underneath your applebee's job about all of the extreme stress you had to deal with as a server, or how impressive your management experience was since you were the senior bus boy, are things that might hurt you.

Entry level jobs should only have one bullet with one line beneath them. Two bullets if you had to speak a second language all the time at your entry level job. The only way you'd need five bullets is if you're this guy.

Last edited by lisjjen on Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

justonemoregame

Postby justonemoregame » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:34 pm

Clint Eastwood, CSO: "Have you thought about going solo?"

Lincoln

Postby Lincoln » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:01 pm

Cobretti wrote:
justonemoregame wrote:Sorry if a thread already exists, I did a cursory search. And maybe this is common sense, but I'd like some opinions on what types of Pre-LS work experience might fall into the following categories (and some comments on whether the categories really make a difference whatsoever):

Solid -
Decent -

IMO:

Shitty - retail

For OCI, accounting and engineering are actually highly prized by some firms. There is lots of litigation around auditors' duties in relation to mortgage-backed securities and other financial-crisis-related events. Litigators with accounting expertise can be really helpful for that. Also, engineering --> patent lit (probably the most booming area of litigation).

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:16 pm

Retail, food service, etc. are still better than nothing. You actually learn a lot of skills in jobs like that. Juggling and triaging different responsibilities, attention to customer concerns, etc. Employers will vary in how seriously they take it, though. Your career services office will tell you what to do with this stuff as far as your resume goes when you're in school.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:56 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:Your career services office will tell you what to do with this stuff as far as your resume goes when you're in school.

Phew.

I definitely think their are benefits to talk about in an interview...but yeah, ill be wary not to speak too much on it.

keres

Postby keres » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:02 am

For admission purpose, which one is better bulge bracket IB or World Bank/IMF work?

westphillybandr

Postby westphillybandr » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:24 am

lisjjen wrote:
Cobretti wrote: Putting 5 bullets underneath your applebee's job about all of the extreme stress you had to deal with as a server, or how impressive your management experience was since you were the senior bus boy, are things that might hurt you.

Entry level jobs should only have one bullet with one line beneath them. Two bullets if you had to speak a second language all the time at your entry level job. The only way you'd need five bullets is if you're this guy.

This is terrible advice. Do you know what "entry level" means?

HawkeyeGirl

Postby HawkeyeGirl » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:53 pm

keres wrote:For admission purpose, which one is better bulge bracket IB or World Bank/IMF work?

I would say no difference, as long as you can write a cohesive story about why law school after starting a finance career.

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:50 pm

westphillybandr wrote:
lisjjen wrote:

Why?

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:19 am

lisjjen wrote:
westphillybandr wrote:
lisjjen wrote:

Why?

Entry level ≠ busboy.

HawkeyeGirl

Postby HawkeyeGirl » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:47 am

dixiecupdrinking wrote:Entry level ≠ busboy.

As an illustration, I'm currently an investment banking analyst. My "entry level" job takes up 3/4 of my resume, because frankly, everything I've done at my "entry level" job has been more meaningful to future employers than anything I did in college. I'm not sure if career services will tell me to change that for OCI, but I can't imagine they'd tell me to cut down my 2 years of banking into 1 bullet.

dood

Postby dood » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:59 pm

Cobretti wrote:

Solid -
Decent -

IMO:

Shitty - retail

i would reverse what u categorized as strong and decent. broad generalization - but the higher your pay grade, the higher its regarded by admissions and during OCI. and if you mean paralegal by "Relevant Legal Work" - put that in the meh category.

stuckinthemiddle

Postby stuckinthemiddle » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:11 pm

Where would Marketing and Human Resource jobs fall?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”