Undergrad prestige? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
FineGentleman

New

Undergrad prestige?

Post by FineGentleman » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:41 am

I am currently enrolled in a city college in New York. Is it worth transferring to a more prestigious school like NYU or Columbia? Or should I just enjoy my free college and high GPA to get into their law schools?

stillwater

Gold

Re: Undergrad prestige?

Post by stillwater » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:43 am

FineGentleman wrote:I am currently enrolled in a city college in New York. Is it worth transferring to a more prestigious school like NYU or Columbia? Or should I just enjoy my free college and high GPA to get into their law schools?
NYU is not prestigious for undergrad. If you definitely want law school, then stay put and rack up the GPA. However, Columbia could yield dividends if you pursue something other than law.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:46 am

FineGentleman wrote:I am currently enrolled in a city college in New York. Is it worth transferring to a more prestigious school like NYU or Columbia? Or should I just enjoy my free college and high GPA to get into their law schools?
If law school is your goal, just max out your GPA at your current school.

FineGentleman

New

Post by FineGentleman » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:47 am

stillwater wrote:
NYU is not prestigious for undergrad. If you definitely want law school, then stay put and rack up the GPA. However, Columbia could yield dividends if you pursue something other than law.
Thanks. So I guess GPA and LSAT is really the only things that matter. Wouldn't transferring to Columbia UG help in getting accepted into COlumbia Law School?

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:48 am

FineGentleman wrote:
stillwater wrote:
Thanks. So I guess GPA and LSAT is really the only things that matter. Wouldn't transferring to Columbia UG help in getting accepted into COlumbia Law School?
Not really. A high LSAT is what will get you into Columbia Law School. If it ever came down to the situation where such a low-level factor such as undergrad prestige were being considered, it means you are soooo on the fence that you might as well just get 1 more point on the LSAT, since that would give you the bump and moot the issue entirely.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Tekrul

Bronze

Post by Tekrul » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:51 am

FineGentleman wrote:
stillwater wrote:
Columbia is not known for preferring their own UG. That said, ivy UG kids enjoy a minor bump in representation sometimes very slightly over performing their numbers. That said, if you're going to get a 3.8 at the school you're at and a 3.5 at Columbia, you're better of staying if law school is the only thing you want. If you want to compete for McKinsey, Goldman, etc., transfer away.

beepboopbeep

Gold

Post by beepboopbeep » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:57 am

FineGentleman wrote:
stillwater wrote:
Schools supposedly give some preferential treatment to their own, but by no means it's a sure deal. I do also think there's a bit of a bump for prestigious UG, but a few tenths of a point GPA will make much more of a difference.

I would do it if you can get good aid from top schools - depending on your family situation, they may end up being essentially free. May as well throw some apps out and see what you get. I would not pick up substantial debt for undergrad under the vast majority of circumstances - maybe HYP but even then it may not be worth it. The economy is in complete shambles and I know a ton of people from my highly-ranked UG who are really struggling to find anything.

If you're existentially unhappy at whichever CUNY, though, get out. Or even if you just think you'd be happier at a more intellectually challenging place. College can be super awesome and many of us regret not having made the most of it. It's easy to get into tunnel vision mode on law school or post-grad employment or whatever and forget that, in terms of happiness and life experience and all that intangible stuff, the next couple years are just as much an important part of your life as the ones that come after.

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:06 am

FineGentleman wrote:So I guess GPA and LSAT is really the only things that matter.
So are grammar.

I is kidding though.

scifiguy

Silver

Post by scifiguy » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:56 am

Assuming costs won't be too big of an issue, what about the other benefits of attending an Ivy or prestigious UG (such as Columbia or NYU)?

i.) The networking and alumni help you could get would certainly be better than at a city college, right? I'm not talking about law school or the legal profession here, but just life and jobs in general. The prestigious of having a Columbia degree + meeting people at CU who will have more connections to "higher" places and "better" jobs would be something to consider. I think something like 65% of ALL jobs in the U.S. are obtained by networking with people.

Even better might be access to both your city college and CU networks (if you keep in touch with both sides).

ii.) Quality education. Presumably, you'd have more opportunities to work with world-class professors and intellectually blossom more than you would at a city college.

iii.) And what about the possibility/opportunity to get a HIGH GPA at a CU or NYU? ...This is hard to predict, but it may be possible to do just as well, if not better, at CU than your current city college - in which case you'd have an even stronger law school admissions package. But, of course, that is not certain.

Just a few thoughts I'm throwing at you. Feel free to disagree/debate them if you like.

But have you considered taking a few summer classes at CU or NYU just to see what they're like before deciding to do a transfer?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:14 pm

Undergrad prestige doesnt really matter.

If you think you can keep killing it at a better school, IMO, you may as well transfer up

Unless its going to put you in considerabley more debt compared to any additional prospects

This is the most common question asked on TLS
Kurst wrote:Does your undergrad school matter? Can it help an applicant?
Does your undergraduate institution matter?
Importance of undergrade prestige for T14?
3.0 from Dartmouth versus 3.0 from state school
Non-elite UG: a T-6 killer?
Any T14 students here started at community college for UG?
Do T14's look down on community colleges?
It doesn't matter where you went for UG!
What Undergraduate School should I pick to help my LS Admiss
Should I Transfer Undergraduate Schools?
High numbers, low undergrad prestigue
Does the undergraduate school matter?
Undergraduate Advice
How much does your undergraduate Institution Matter?
How important is undergrad prestige?
Why is it that UG institution is irrelevant?
Does Undergraduate School Matter?
to what degree does undergraduate institution matter at HYS?
does undergrad matter at all?
Do law schools really care what school you attended for UG?
How much does UG matter?
College Freshman looking at Law School
178 LSAT, 3.93 GPA - Does UG really matter?
Importance of Undergrad Institution
Unknown Undergraduate Institution
Weight of UG institution in LS+ Big Law
UG MATTERS! Don't believe the hype
Will undergrad prestige matter?
Does undergraduate school matter?
Does where you went Undergraduate matter?
does your undergrad university prestige matter?
How much does undergrad school matter?
Does your undergraduate school matter?
Does Undergraduate School Matter?
Does the Undergrad School you graduate from matter?
Does school matter?
Undergrad Prestige
snob appeal of your undergraduate institution
Question about GPA major and school prestige
Is UG prestige a factor in the admission process?
OS Updates: Yes, Virginia, Undergraduate Schools Matter.
How much does where you went to undergrad matter?
Why does quality of undergrad matter so little?
How much does where you did undergrad matter?
How much does what undergrad school you attend matter?
Undergrad doesn't matter! (unless it's a good one)
Does undergrad matter
Quality of undergrad institution does matter!
Does undergrad matter?
Undergrad doesnt matter? WSJ disagrees.
Name of Undergrad School Matter in Applying?
How much weight is given to your undergrad college?
Importance of Undergraduate University??
Does it matter where you do your UG studies for T14 schools?
Does quality of undergrad make a significant difference?
Does UG Really Not Matter?
How much does where you went for UG factor in?

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:32 pm

Doesn't matter at all for law school. May well matter a good bit for other things. Choose accordingly.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”