Co-worker Affairs

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Kafkaesquire

Co-worker Affairs

Postby Kafkaesquire » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:29 pm

How often does it happen that two single lawyers (co-workers) hook up with one another? Is it most commonly frowned upon, depending on the firm, or is this "general practice"?

Lincoln

Re: Co-worker Affairs

Postby Lincoln » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:33 pm

It happens fairly frequently. I think most firms have a policy of disclosure in order to avoid conflicts of interest or discord within the workplace. Generally, two people in any kind of romantic relationship won't be allowed to work on the same matters or in a position where one supervises the other. But if it was just a friday night hook-up, are you really going to tell the partner?

seahawk32

Postby seahawk32 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:34 pm

lol. Focus on something that matters.

rickgrimes69

Postby rickgrimes69 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:25 am

Kafkaesquire wrote: is this "general practice"?

That's what we always called it :wink:

bizzybone1313

Postby bizzybone1313 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:39 am

You know what I have always wondered: Why do women like meeting potential dating mates in the workplace? The workplace is the last place I want to meet a girl to date. When I quit my most recent job, this girl grabbed my phone at my going away party and typed her number in it. I can't trust girls in the workplace to not be some vindictive girl that later would try to get me fired.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:08 am

bizzybone1313 wrote:You know what I have always wondered: Why do women like meeting potential dating mates in the workplace? The workplace is the last place I want to meet a girl to date. When I quit my most recent job, this girl grabbed my phone at my going away party and typed her number in it. I can't trust girls in the workplace to not be some vindictive girl that later would try to get me fired.

You sound like fun.

... So call me, maybe?

Kafkaesquire

Postby Kafkaesquire » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:03 am

bizzybone1313 wrote:You know what I have always wondered: Why do women like meeting potential dating mates in the workplace? The workplace is the last place I want to meet a girl to date.

The reason I asked is because many lawyers spend most of their time in the law firm. I mean, isn't it probable that many lawyers "think" they like dating in the workplace because they don't spend time anywhere else?

suzige

Postby suzige » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:12 am

From what I've seen happen to those around me, dating in the workplace never turns out very well and makes it annoyingly awkward when shit hits the fan. I wouldn't do it bc, honestly, I don't want to see or talk to coworkers more than I already do.

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:23 am

Kafkaesquire wrote:How often does it happen that two single lawyers (co-workers) hook up with one another? Is it most commonly frowned upon, depending on the firm, or is this "general practice"?

From what I've seen, being single is not required for law firm relationships.

Kafkaesquire

Postby Kafkaesquire » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:29 am

NYstate wrote:
Kafkaesquire wrote:How often does it happen that two single lawyers (co-workers) hook up with one another? Is it most commonly frowned upon, depending on the firm, or is this "general practice"?

From what I've seen, being single is not required for law firm relationships.

Haha... true, true.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”