Employed 3L at UM: Q&A

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Dripworx

Employed 3L at UM: Q&A

Postby Dripworx » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:24 pm

I logged into TLS about 8 months before I began my applications to LS. I dreamed of getting into UM since before I could have known this is what I wanted to do. I was told since childhood about the reputation that UM Law has within the immediate area.

UM is no T14, but there are plenty of elitists there with a T14 background or, at minimum, the noxious elitist attitude . Getting a job IS possible through backdoor approaches. Professors will email a whole class with a job offer at, say, a boutique firm that recognizes and respects students of the Professor.

NOTE: YOU CANNOT GIVE UP WHEN SHIT LOOKS DAUNTING.

My first year GPA was 1.68. I cried very hard. I've never been academically "successful". B's C's and the occasional A in a class that was bullshit or incredibly interesting was the norm for me since high school. For the first time I was truly destroyed after seeing that my Instinctual approach was an utter failure. I was infuriated with myself and simply disappointed.

They called me in to advise me that continuing is extremely risky and successful recovery is a statistical anomaly. Of course I thanked them for the kind suggestion and pushed on through.

I changed my study plan and buckled down for the second semester. I went HAM during spring and improved very little: 1.8 GPA.

I was mortified that I still couldn't break 2.0.

By this time I received my spring grades, I had already enrolled in summer classes. This permitted me to plead and appeal to the administration to let me stay and prove my worth.

My response to them: "the only way I'm leaving school is when you kick me out".

I believe that it was this attitude and my ability to highlight my disposition to improve that saved me from dismissal.

Long story short, my grades improved that summer and throughout my 2L year. I even nailed my first interview and got a clerkship at a boutique Law firm for the summer.

No, neither of my parents have connections for me to exploit. I'd be the first attorney in the Family.

No, I didn't discuss my grades in the interview. Nor did I excuse myself for poor performance.

I just looked my boss in the eye and said "I want to learn as much as possible and I intend to work as hard and as often as you permit me."

Basically, I just discussed why I was interested in the job and why I want to find a long term position in that particular area of law.

I'm no fucking prize, but I know this website helped me get to the position I am currently in. For that reason, I'm extending myself to the interwebz and happy to take questions about the UM grind.

Yasy13

Re: Employed 3L at UM: Q&A

Postby Yasy13 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:21 am

Dripworx wrote:I logged into TLS about 8 months before I began my applications to LS. I dreamed of getting into UM since before I could have known this is what I wanted to do. I was told since childhood about the reputation that UM Law has within the immediate area.

I'm going to ask a dumb question. UM as in Miami I'm assuming?

sublime

Postby sublime » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:52 am

Nova

Postby Nova » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:56 am

how did you network?

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:10 am

What is your salary? What kind of boutique is it? Any chance they will hire you permanently after you graduate? How many attorneys?
Last edited by NYstate on Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

justonemoregame

Postby justonemoregame » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:16 am

what's your loan balance?

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:57 am

Kudos to the administration for giving it to you straight and encouraging you to drop out rather than running away with the tuition money. And congrats to you for defying all reason and common sense to come out on top with some kind of employment. In the course of doling out advice, however, don't forget that the administration was still right - you're a statistical anomaly. :P

Dripworx

Postby Dripworx » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:55 am

traehekat wrote:Kudos to the administration for giving it to you straight and encouraging you to drop out rather than running away with the tuition money. And congrats to you for defying all reason and common sense to come out on top with some kind of employment. In the course of doling out advice, however, don't forget that the administration was still right - you're a statistical anomaly. :P

TY. Of course you are correct, which is why I explained my perspective for those who may ask.

Dripworx

Postby Dripworx » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:55 am

Yasy13 wrote:
Dripworx wrote:I logged into TLS about 8 months before I began my applications to LS. I dreamed of getting into UM since before I could have known this is what I wanted to do. I was told since childhood about the reputation that UM Law has within the immediate area.

Correct.

Dripworx

Postby Dripworx » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:23 am

Nova wrote:how did you network?

One of the ways I networked was by getting to know a few 3L's my first year. Becoming friends with the sharpest person in the room isn't a bad idea either. Not having the grades to do the traditional job hunt forced me talk to people that I knew were employed. This was so I could obtain some survival pointers/protips. Deans Fellows were my "go to" guys.

Truthfully, developing a really solid circle of friends in school provided me with invaluable networking resources. Not sure if you were expecting a list of popular events or annual networking conferences but its what helped me. I did attend a "dinner for practicing professionals" which I highly recommend because of the judges and lawyers that show up.

Dripworx

Postby Dripworx » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:29 am

NYstate wrote:What is your salary? What kind of boutique is it? Any chance they will hire you permanently after you graduate? How many attorneys?

With no legal background, I chose not to expect pay for the time being. I was assured compensation in the near future pending my performance and desire to continue beyond summer. I find that absolutely reasonable.

Its a boutique Family Law firm that also specializes in Real Estate. Yes, there is a decent possibility they may hire me on a permanent basis after graduation. The firm is small, no more than 3-4 Attorneys ATM.

Dripworx

Postby Dripworx » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:31 am

sublime wrote:
Yasy13 wrote:

That is my guess. Plus he talks like U of Miami people do.

I smell something... Is that Eau De Hater?

Dripworx

Postby Dripworx » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:32 am

justonemoregame wrote:what's your loan balance?

$10293487102938471092837409182374098172304987.00

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:48 pm

Dripworx wrote:
NYstate wrote:What is your salary? What kind of boutique is it? Any chance they will hire you permanently after you graduate? How many attorneys?

With no legal background, I chose not to expect pay for the time being. I was assured compensation in the near future pending my performance and desire to continue beyond summer. I find that absolutely reasonable.

Its a boutique Family Law firm that also specializes in Real Estate. Yes, there is a decent possibility they may hire me on a permanent basis after graduation. The firm is small, no more than 3-4 Attorneys ATM.

:(

Yukos

Postby Yukos » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:12 pm

Dripworx wrote:
justonemoregame wrote:what's your loan balance?

$10293487102938471092837409182374098172304987.00

The interest on that is going to be a bitch.

Yasy13

Postby Yasy13 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:37 am

Dripworx wrote:UM is no T14, but there are plenty of elitists there with a T14 background or, at minimum, the noxious elitist attitude . Getting a job IS possible through backdoor approaches. Professors will email a whole class with a job offer at, say, a boutique firm that recognizes and respects students of the Professor.

So in your first two summers did you have jobs/did everyone around you get jobs? And were they mainly employed in Mia or did some people get up north? I'm v. interested in miami now but have no interest in staying there after grad, I want to be up north.

Also best/worst thing about miami law?

dr123

Postby dr123 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:40 am

"boutique", eh? Doesnt sound like a "boutique" firm.

stuckinthemiddle

Postby stuckinthemiddle » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:59 am

Dripworx wrote:

Ummmm. This is not at all reassuring...

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”