How Screwed would I be? Probably surgery.

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
porch

How Screwed would I be? Probably surgery.

Postby porch » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:25 pm

Last edited by porch on Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ariadne328

Re: How Screwed would I be? Probably surgery.

Postby ariadne328 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:48 pm

That sounds horrible. :( I'm sorry you have to deal with that.

But in regards to your question, how long is the recovery after the surgery? Have you spoken with the doctors about what the recovery entails and how long you need to rest the shoulder? How long will it be until you can reliably use your arm for long periods of time typing? I feel like you need this information first before you can really tell how it will affect law school in the fall.
Last edited by ariadne328 on Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

guano

Postby guano » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:51 pm

Another consideration: does your school have midterms, or only finals?

porch

Postby porch » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:06 pm

Last edited by porch on Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

porch

Postby porch » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:07 pm

ariadne328 wrote:That sounds horrible. :( I'm sorry you have to deal with that.

But in regards to your question, how long is the recovery after the surgery? Have you spoken with the doctors about what the recovery entails and how long you need to rest the shoulder? How long will it be until you can reliably use your arm for long periods of time typing? I feel like you need this information first before you can really tell how it will affect law school in the fall.

What he said was about 6 weeks in a sling no movement on my own, then from weeks 6-12 limited movement but without resistance. Its a 4-6 month recovery.

NYU starts August 28, which if say I have surgery the first week of july that would be nine weeks after.

ariadne328

Postby ariadne328 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:22 pm

porch wrote:What he said was about 6 weeks in a sling no movement on my own, then from weeks 6-12 limited movement but without resistance. Its a 4-6 month recovery.

NYU starts August 28, which if say I have surgery the first week of july that would be nine weeks after.

Have you asked if typing counts as resistance? You are really only going three weeks into the term at that point, which isn't too bad. I guess my biggest worry would be taking notes during that time period if you shouldn't be typing for long periods, but I'm sure you could figure something out. It seems doable to me, although perhaps not ideal, especially if you don't have to worry about midterms.

But I'm also still a 0L, someone who has been through 1L would probably be able to give better insight on how much those three weeks will affect you, if at all.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:38 pm

porch wrote:It is looking like I may need rotator cuff surgery (on my dominant arm), and the earliest I could get it would be early july. Do you think this would screw me over for 1L year? Specifically when it comes to typing for tests and everything? I guess I don't really know how early in the year the first tests are. But i'm currently at the level of pain where I mostly am typing lefty. Any advice or has anyone been through any thing similar?

ETA: Typo of probably instead of probable.

You'll get extra time, which is a huge advantage.

porch

Postby porch » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:33 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
porch wrote:It is looking like I may need rotator cuff surgery (on my dominant arm), and the earliest I could get it would be early july. Do you think this would screw me over for 1L year? Specifically when it comes to typing for tests and everything? I guess I don't really know how early in the year the first tests are. But i'm currently at the level of pain where I mostly am typing lefty. Any advice or has anyone been through any thing similar?

ETA: Typo of probably instead of probable.

You'll get extra time, which is a huge advantage.

Have you seen this happen before? Im on the fence about getting it done or trying to just do PT to help deal with pain. I was worried about PT because if it failed Id be getting the surgery later, so i wanted to get it asap to be closest to healed.

ariadne328

Postby ariadne328 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:17 pm

porch wrote:Have you seen this happen before? Im on the fence about getting it done or trying to just do PT to help deal with pain. I was worried about PT because if it failed Id be getting the surgery later, so i wanted to get it asap to be closest to healed.

Personally, I wouldn't wait. Needing to have the surgery during the term sounds like a worst case scenario and I would want to make sure I avoided that. Have you been doing PT and has it been helping?

ETA: Have you spoken with NYU about what your options would be if you were in recovery during the beginning of the term v. needing to have the surgery during the term? It may be worth chatting with someone at the school.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:46 pm

You should be fine. Take three weeks of notes by hand (or type with one hand). I knew people who had their arms fucked up for much more intense portions of the year and longer. That said, I feel like moving to a new place and all that crap would be a really annoying time to have surgery. NYU has no midterms and no difficult writing stuff for lawyering for a while.

pupshaw

Postby pupshaw » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:38 pm

Last edited by pupshaw on Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

chill

Postby chill » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:41 pm

Last edited by chill on Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

porch

Postby porch » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:31 am

Last edited by porch on Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ohiobumpkin

Postby Ohiobumpkin » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:50 am

I was going to second the accommodations recommendation. Many schools offer various academic accommodations for students with physical and mental disabilities. You could investigate accommodations such as scribes, in-class note takers, and audio-recording devices for in lieu of class notes.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”