How is Transfer?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Ask Me Not

How is Transfer?

Postby Ask Me Not » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:28 pm

Hi, so the "Transfer" board does not let me post there since I am a 0L. :P

Question for all the current law students is: how do you recommend for transfer?

I vaguely had a thought: let's say I get into a so-so school and study my butt off to get all the great grades and recommendations from my 1L, and then I transfer to my dream law school. Two outcomes: if I get in, I'm good; if I don't get in, I'll be stuck in the so-so school...

What do you guys say?

P.S., for some reasons, I also heard that transfer is more difficult…

AC Vegas

Re: How is Transfer?

Postby AC Vegas » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:49 pm

My 6 month old pet rabbit is named Transfer. Tyrannosaurus fur.
Last edited by AC Vegas on Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cameronfrye

Postby cameronfrye » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:58 pm

Ask Me Not wrote:Hi, so the "Transfer" board does not let me post there since I am a 0L. :P

Question for all the current law students is: how do you recommend for transfer?

I vaguely had a thought: let's say I get into a so-so school and study my butt off to get all the great grades and recommendations from my 1L, and then I transfer to my dream law school. Two outcomes: if I get in, I'm good; if I don't get in, I'll be stuck in the so-so school...

What do you guys say?

P.S., for some reasons, I also heard that transfer is more difficult…

Are you a native english speaker? Serious question...

Shema

Postby Shema » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:56 pm

Are you a native english speaker? Serious question...[/quote]

This question is so rude. What a jerk.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:31 pm

Shema wrote:Are you a native english speaker? Serious question...

This question is so rude. What a jerk.[/quote]

its a serious question. LOL at not being a native speaker AND trying to shoot the moon that is transfer

DCDuck

Postby DCDuck » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:54 pm

TLS wisdom says not to go to a school you wouldn't be happy graduating from. Transferring is hard and there is no guarantee you will get the necessary grades to make transferring worth it.

porch

Postby porch » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:35 pm

Last edited by porch on Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SouthernSoul

Postby SouthernSoul » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:47 pm

AC Vegas wrote:My 6 month old pet rabbit is named Transfer. She's good, thanks for asking.

everyone on TLS is hilarious

Ask Me Not

Postby Ask Me Not » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:43 pm

porch wrote:

Did you read the title, "how is transfer?" Did you read the original post? The english is poor. And for the OP to have the deluded idea that they can transfer with poor english skills to a better school is insane.

Go to the school you'd be happy to graduate from and then try to prove me wrong.[/quote]

Lol, fyi, being a non-native speaker never stops me from working hard, asking for suggestions, or reaching for my dreams. And guess what, I have the time, opportunities, and capability to improve my language skills. Therefore, be careful not to bump into me in courtrooms a couple years from now; I would not want to ashame you with my better articulation as a non-native speaker.

Btw, I am pretty used to some people in this country being rude to non-natives. It is pretty well-known on the other continents that a lot of American schools and parents do not teach their kids what "respect" is.

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:48 pm

Don't plan on transferring. Gunning for top grades is unpredictable because everyone works hard and you are graded on a curve.
Also, transfers may sometimes have been better off staying at their first school. Sometimes it is better to be the top person at a lower ranked school than a transfer at a higher ranked school.

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:55 pm

Ask Me Not wrote:Therefore, be careful not to bump into me in courtrooms a couple years from now; I would not want to ashame you with my better articulation as a non-native speaker.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

In all seriousness, why don't you study your butt off for the LSAT, go to a T-14, and profit? That's seriously way easier.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:59 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:
Ask Me Not wrote:Therefore, be careful not to bump into me in courtrooms a couple years from now; I would not want to ashame you with my better articulation as a non-native speaker.

In all seriousness, why don't you study your butt off for the LSAT, go to a T-14, and profit? That's seriously way easier.

Yes. This is way easier. Going to LS with the intent to transfer is a disaster in waiting.

echooo23

Postby echooo23 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:00 pm

Ask Me Not wrote:
porch wrote:

Did you read the title, "how is transfer?" Did you read the original post? The english is poor. And for the OP to have the deluded idea that they can transfer with poor english skills to a better school is insane.

Go to the school you'd be happy to graduate from and then try to prove me wrong.

Lol, fyi, being a non-native speaker never stops me from working hard, asking for suggestions, or reaching for my dreams. And guess what, I have the time, opportunities, and capability to improve my language skills. Therefore, be careful not to bump into me in courtrooms a couple years from now; I would not want to ashame you with my better articulation as a non-native speaker.

Btw, I am pretty used to some people in this country being rude to non-natives. It is pretty well-known on the other continents that a lot of American schools and parents do not teach their kids what "respect" is.[/quote]

Sorry you feel so offended, but I think the question was legit. The legal market is godawful right now, and even homegrown T14 students at median are getting zero to few CBs, much less offers. The prospects for a transfer are even worse. And for a transfer whose written English needs improvement, your chances will be that much smaller. I don't think an accent will hurt you at all, but if your written English obviously shows that you are non-native, that will be a problem.

Also, as an immigrant and non-native English speaker, I find your blanket assertion that American schools and parents fail to teach respect just as disrespectful as others who may have been rude to you on the basis of your immigrant status alone.

Ask Me Not

Postby Ask Me Not » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:21 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:

Thank you, friend. This post was posted in June, one day after I attended an admission event. There were a lot of students asking about transfer at the event, and the comments were all over the place. I then wanted to ask on this forum to see how people here think.

As of myself, I am studying very hard at the moment. Transfer to me means extra time and energy for the transfer application, and I rather spend that time elsewhere.

Ask Me Not

Postby Ask Me Not » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:59 pm

echooo23 wrote:
Ask Me Not wrote:
porch wrote:

Go to the school you'd be happy to graduate from and then try to prove me wrong.

Btw, I am pretty used to some people in this country being rude to non-natives. It is pretty well-known on the other continents that a lot of American schools and parents do not teach their kids what "respect" is.

Sorry you feel so offended, but I think the question was legit. The legal market is godawful right now, and even homegrown T14 students at median are getting zero to few CBs, much less offers. The prospects for a transfer are even worse. And for a transfer whose written English needs improvement, your chances will be that much smaller. I don't think an accent will hurt you at all, but if your written English obviously shows that you are non-native, that will be a problem.

Also, as an immigrant and non-native English speaker, I find your blanket assertion that American schools and parents fail to teach respect just as disrespectful as others who may have been rude to you on the basis of your immigrant status alone.[/quote]

Thanks for your comments.

Law firm culture is changing to respond to the rapid growth of globalization and technology. For example, comparing to hiring permanently, more and more firms are collecting temporary employees, part-times, or even attorneys from other countries who work via telecom (according to more than five partners that I interviewed). Many people say the job market is bad, yet it is really the word "changing," and the job market will show us a complete different challenge fives years from now. However, should we stop when things around us is different from when it was "normal?" The challenges are there to push us to figure out better ways to survive. Also, some go to law school for a great-pay job, but there are also others who go to law school because they are passionate about law and justice. There are so many options out there.

I really appreciate your honesty and especially the kinder way you put it. However, moving from not knowing how to spell "hello" four years ago to writing a public comment to you right now, I know I can do it. I think it is more interesting to examine where a person will be instead of where this person is.

Did you mean my "a lot of American schools and parents" was a "blanket assertion"? If "a lot of" means "all of" to you, I give you my apology, and I'll send your words to my English teacher that "a lot of = all of." If not, I will appreciate an English lesson. :)

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:26 pm

175 for the splendid combo of engrish and typical 0L naivete. Probably a troll, but still amusing.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:32 pm

Well done. :lol:

Postby 20141023 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:01 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:40 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:

Dat Google Translate, lulz. But TITCR. You'll have infinitely more control over your LSAT score than your 1L GPA.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:49 pm

PRgradBYU wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:

Dat Google Translate, lulz. But TITCR. You'll have infinitely more control over your LSAT score than your 1L GPA.

He will ashame the lsat.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:07 pm

kappycaft1 wrote:Whatever you do, don't forget to include your autobiography with your application to make sure that you get the best results possible.

Always send a leather bound autobiography.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:17 pm

Last edited by hoos89 on Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yukos

Postby Yukos » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:29 am

hoos89 wrote:Wait...work hard and do well in law school? Why didn't EVERYONE EVER think of that? Going to law school with the intent to transfer is a losing strategy. Also, how do you expect to do better than native English speakers in a forced curve class that requires you to critically analyze a 6 page hypo and then write about a 5000-10000 word essay about it, all in English and under time pressure?

Because being a non-native English speaker will not prevent him from working hard, asking for suggestions, and reaching for his dreams. He will ashame his classmates because of his hard work, suggestion asking and dream reaching.

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:26 am

Plus, he'll show his classmates a complete different challenge.

timmyd

Postby timmyd » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:28 pm

Transferring law schools requires a stellar 1l performance. It also depends on what school you attend 1l. To make the jump from TTT to UT (also accepted into Gtown) I was top 5.5%. If I was to do 1l year 10 times I am not sure how many times I would achieve this ranking. There is a random element to it all. Good Luck!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”