0L legal internship questions/advice Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
thereelfeels

New

0L legal internship questions/advice

Post by thereelfeels » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:00 pm

I was successfully accepted as a 0L into a program for law students in one of my home state's large legal agencies, and as such was placed into one of the many state agencies covered under that umbrella. There are probably ~60-70 interns in the program, but only two or three 0L's. I began work shortly after graduation, and one other (2L) intern started more recently. There are other current student interns, but they are working under different attorneys in the office. Currently, my tasks have been anything from filing work and routine proofreading to researching and writing counter-statements of facts, relevant facts and arguments for both state and appellate cases - something I've never done before, but am figuring it out as I go along. I'm really enjoying the work so far, and feel as though I'm actually gaining some substantive experience and seeing how the law is applied.

With this program, there are a good bit of special events hosted with the large group of other current law students, coming from schools anywhere from T14 to TTTT. At our welcoming breakfast event, it was a bit embarrassing to introduce myself as a 0L, considering I am and will be one of the only ones in the program. Are there any tips for overcoming the "wall" between 0L and current students, where I can really take advantage of the different networking and meet-and-greet opportunities that this program provides?

As for work, this is my first experience in a true legal environment. Although I'm comfortable in an office setting - I have previous experience in a pseudo-legal internship, but it was mostly policy-based. Are there any tips for succeeding in a legal environment? Currently, I'm asking many of the attorneys in the office for any work they might have when my supervisor doesn't have anything for me to do at the moment (or the work he has is over my head) and just trying to assume as much responsibility as I can, and the attorneys in the office seem to be obliging and increasing my workload. Just generally, is there any advice for things I can do, strategies or good habits I can develop that will help to best prepare me for school in the fall, a legal job next summer and beyond? I'd really like to make the most of this opportunity, but I'm not really sure where to start.

thelawdoctor

Bronze

Re: 0L legal internship questions/advice

Post by thelawdoctor » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:01 pm

I did something similar, but don't expect it to help any with being more prepared for law school. If you enjoy it great, but that is about the max you will get out of it beyond being able to put it on a resume when looking for a regular internship while the JD.

wbrother

Bronze

Post by wbrother » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:26 pm

thelawdoctor wrote:I did something similar, but don't expect it to help any with being more prepared for law school. If you enjoy it great, but that is about the max you will get out of it beyond being able to put it on a resume when looking for a regular internship while the JD.
Depending on level of 0L, OP could also get a decent letter of rec if his charm game is tight. In general, just do your best to kill it. I'm also doing a summer law program as an OL and it feels nice when I outperform one of the law students there.

thelawdoctor

Bronze

Post by thelawdoctor » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:07 pm

wbrother wrote:
thelawdoctor wrote:I did something similar, but don't expect it to help any with being more prepared for law school. If you enjoy it great, but that is about the max you will get out of it beyond being able to put it on a resume when looking for a regular internship while the JD.
Depending on level of 0L, OP could also get a decent letter of rec if his charm game is tight. In general, just do your best to kill it. I'm also doing a summer law program as an OL and it feels nice when I outperform one of the law students there.
Good point on the LOR part of it.

RodneyRuxin

Bronze

Post by RodneyRuxin » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:21 pm

0Ls are hated by 1Ls, 1Ls are hated by 2Ls, 2Ls are hated by 3Ls. We're all part of the great circle of life.

thelawdoctor

Bronze

Post by thelawdoctor » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:25 pm

RodneyRuxin wrote:0Ls are hated by 1Ls, 1Ls are hated by 2Ls, 2Ls are hated by 3Ls. We're all part of the great circle of life.
You think we're bad?
Talk to nurses................they "eat their young"

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”