Eating lunch at school?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
timshellaw

Eating lunch at school?

Postby timshellaw » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:25 pm

This is a really trivial question and I realize it varies by school, but how does lunch usually work at law school? Is there even time for it? Is it the norm to pack your own lunch or do most students eat on campus?

I'm a K-JD, so I've always either packed my lunch or had a meal plan. I'm really into fitness and running, so eating right is important to me. I'm also worried about COL if my schedule only allows for eating out/grabbing something on the go. I'm a vegetarian, so packing my lunch hasn't ever bothered me, I'm just curious as to what most law students do.

bananapeanutbutter

Re: Eating lunch at school?

Postby bananapeanutbutter » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:30 pm

timshellaw wrote:This is a really trivial question and I realize it varies by school, but how does lunch usually work at law school? Is there even time for it? Is it the norm to pack your own lunch or do most students eat on campus?

I'm a K-JD, so I've always either packed my lunch or had a meal plan. I'm really into fitness and running, so eating right is important to me. I'm also worried about COL if my schedule only allows for eating out/grabbing something on the go. I'm a vegetarian, so packing my lunch hasn't ever bothered me, I'm just curious as to what most law students do.

There's no time to eat either before or after. The only way to get through law school with eating is to eat through an IV.

seahawk32

Postby seahawk32 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:37 pm

Forget about eating during law school.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:47 pm

I went to lunch at nearby places with friends a lot of the time. Nice way to get to know people and chill some.

Top Gear Top Tip - Civ Pro is vastly improved by the drinking of an alcoholic beverage or two before class, preferably with fajitas.

thelawdoctor

Postby thelawdoctor » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:01 pm

seahawk32 wrote:Forget about eating during law school.

I knew plenty who just ate in class. Tended to be the same people who were on facebook all class too. You knew who they were since they kept typing even after the prof stopped talking for a while.

thelawdoctor

Postby thelawdoctor » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:06 pm

timshellaw wrote:This is a really trivial question and I realize it varies by school, but how does lunch usually work at law school? Is there even time for it? Is it the norm to pack your own lunch or do most students eat on campus?

For real, just bike to class and keep quick but healthy snacks in your backpack (carrots, celery,etc)

For real meals wait until after school. As long as you show up before class or have at least a ten minute gap between classes you can cram food into your mouth without looking like the jerk chewing and digging into a bag while the prof is talking.

Absolute worst case scenario...............take a potty break and eat on the pooper bro.

KD35

Postby KD35 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:17 pm

thelawdoctor wrote:
Absolute worst case scenario...............take a potty break and eat on the pooper bro.

Problem there is that you need to sneak out of class with your food in hand...kinda obvious.

thelawdoctor

Postby thelawdoctor » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:25 pm

KD35 wrote:
thelawdoctor wrote:

Problem there is that you need to sneak out of class with your food in hand...kinda obvious.

sarcasm, lost on the weak.........

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:18 pm

Totally depends on the school what people will do. I'd guess it's less common to just run off campus for a meal at, say, Duke than at NYU. But in general I suspect nobody will give a crap whether you pack a lunch at any school.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:21 pm

A group of people at my school started going to lunch. Unfortunately they all ended up below median. All the people on law review ate some kind of fast meal bar between class and library. I Think they bought a box of 1000 of them together on Amazon.com.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:23 pm

Desert Fox wrote:A group of people at my school started going to lunch. Unfortunately they all ended up below median. All the people on law review ate some kind of fast meal bar between class and library. I Think they bought a box of 1000 of them together on Amazon.com.

and that's why you never go to lunch

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:29 pm

Desert Fox wrote:A group of people at my school started going to lunch. Unfortunately they all ended up below median. All the people on law review ate some kind of fast meal bar between class and library. I Think they bought a box of 1000 of them together on Amazon.com.

Or maybe they did subscribe and save for monthly shipments. Lol.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:30 pm

NYstate wrote:

Or maybe they did subscribe and save for monthly shipments. Lol.

See, my shortsighted amazon buying is why I wasn't top 20%.

kay2016

Postby kay2016 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:25 pm

A box of what? Haha.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:26 pm

kayleighcheyenne wrote:

A box of what? Haha.

Cliff Bars. I remember because of them saying they were climbing a steep curve.

kay2016

Postby kay2016 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:27 pm

That's kind of hilarious

KingFish

Postby KingFish » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:32 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
kayleighcheyenne wrote:

A box of what? Haha.

Cliff Bars. I remember because of them saying they were climbing a steep curve.

Was it these? It probably was.

http://www.amazon.com/Clif-Bar-Builders ... 624&sr=8-1

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”