Loyola Law School Transfer student taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Shema

New

Loyola Law School Transfer student taking questions

Post by Shema » Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:27 am

I began law school at Loyola class of 2014. I now attend a top 10 law school. When I entered law school many people had transfer as a goal but there were not very many resources that clearly explained how to make it happen. I think that there are certain things I did right (and wrong) that may help students who may want to take advantage of transfer opportunities at the close of their 1L year. Any 0L or 1L entering Loyola or a similarly ranked T2 is welcome to shoot questions my way and hopefully I can be a resource to you.

Nova

Platinum

Re: Loyola Law School Transfer student taking questions

Post by Nova » Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:43 am

Class rank?

6lehderjets

Bronze

Post by 6lehderjets » Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:57 am

Care to share the more general right/wrong things you did after finals wrapped up and you began preparing your applications?

ericsmith249

New

Post by ericsmith249 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:50 am

There is no such thing as T10...

Shema

New

Post by Shema » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:24 pm

ericsmith249 wrote:There is no such thing as T10...
I agree... what is a T10?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Shema

New

Post by Shema » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:26 pm

Nova wrote:Class rank?
I was in top 10% at Loyola but I had a friend in my same year who was in the top 15% and transferred to UCLA from Loyola.

Shema

New

Post by Shema » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:04 pm

6lehderjets wrote:Care to share the more general right/wrong things you did after finals wrapped up and you began preparing your applications?
Tips would include: after you get your grades and you decide you want to transfer, you have to get your transcript sent to schools. In order to do this, you must first speak with a counselor. You have to prepare for that. Everything they say should be taken with a grain of salt. If you're in the top 15%, during this meeting with the counselor, you'll get a scholarship of some kind. Other than that, there isn't much to it.

Also, depending on when LLS releases the elective grades, many application deadlines will pass. For example, last year, June 15th was the deadline for Berkeley. I got my grades and my rank near the beginning of July. My advice would be to figure out all schools they are interested in, find out their deadlines and if the deadlines are before the grades and ranks, email the schools to get an extension. Usually, the schools will just ask you to send in everything now so they can review all of that first, then your grades+rank later. If I did this, I would have applied to Berkeley

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:16 pm

Shema wrote:
ericsmith249 wrote:There is no such thing as T10...
I agree... what is a T10?
Its a synonym for "I go to Michigan"

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:18 pm

I've always wondered with transfers, did you experience any awkwardness with faculty or professors when they heard you were trying to/decided to transfer? Your comment above about the counselor made it seem like maybe you did. Congrats on the grades btw.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

unclepete

Bronze

Post by unclepete » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:42 pm

Checking in so I can get updates. Will post questions later.

Shema

New

Post by Shema » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:10 pm

Br3v wrote:I've always wondered with transfers, did you experience any awkwardness with faculty or professors when they heard you were trying to/decided to transfer? Your comment above about the counselor made it seem like maybe you did. Congrats on the grades btw.
Yes it can be awkward. "Hi I did really well in your class and was wondering if you would help me apply to higher ranked law school". No law school likes to loose their top performing students. Strangely, at least in my case and others I talked to in my class in a similar position, they did not give much of a financial incentive to stay. Perhaps this will change.

Shema

New

Post by Shema » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:11 pm

unclepete wrote:Checking in so I can get updates. Will post questions later.
cool beans!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”