Is TLS Discussed at Your Law School?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
scifiguy

Is TLS Discussed at Your Law School?

Postby scifiguy » Wed May 29, 2013 1:59 pm

Do people at your law school acknowledge and discuss TLS? And do people say who they are on TLS when doing so?

If so...what proportion of your law school do you think uses TLS?

Icculus

Re: Is TLS Discussed at Your Law School?

Postby Icculus » Wed May 29, 2013 2:12 pm

scifiguy wrote:Do people at your law school acknowledge and discuss TLS? And do people say who they are on TLS when doing so?

Rule #1 about TLS...you do not talk about TLS....

Though seriously, yes people talk about it. This isn't like some secret societu. Everyone knows it exists. I know a bunch of the NU posters, we've had meet ups, and people are generally cool.

JamesDean1955

Postby JamesDean1955 » Wed May 29, 2013 2:15 pm

I was told by many, many students and faculty at ASWs and other visits, plus friends I have in LS, that told me not to let TLS go to your head and take it with a grain of salt.

Postby 09042014 » Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm

Icculus wrote:
scifiguy wrote:Do people at your law school acknowledge and discuss TLS? And do people say who they are on TLS when doing so?

Though seriously, yes people talk about it. This isn't like some secret societu. Everyone knows it exists. I know a bunch of the NU posters, we've had meet ups, and people are generally cool.

It's still kinda shameful and you don't bring it up in public.

KingFish

Postby KingFish » Wed May 29, 2013 2:29 pm

JamesDean1955 wrote:I was told by many, many students and faculty at ASWs and other visits, plus friends I have in LS, that told me not to let TLS go to your head and take it with a grain of salt.

Should I take this with a grain of salt?

scifiguy

Postby scifiguy » Wed May 29, 2013 2:34 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Icculus wrote:

Why is it shameful? Does TLS have a bad reputation? Is it considered some kind of fringe and nutty site? ..etc.?

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Wed May 29, 2013 2:35 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Icculus wrote:

This is true. I guess when I say it's talked about people know it exists. More people thw you realize also look on here but never post. I mean I never would ask someone "hey, are you on TLS?" But at the same time it's not like no one ever discusses it.

Perfect example: over the course of two years I still have no idea who DF is.

Postby 09042014 » Wed May 29, 2013 2:35 pm

scifiguy wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Icculus wrote:

Why is it shameful? Does TLS have a bad reputation? Is it considered some kind of fringe and nutty site? ..etc.?

Posting on a message board is pretty antisocial. TLS is considered really nerdy and weird.

And TLSer's are huge fucking balls of nerves and gunning. People here gun the MPRE and then spend 2 months worrying about passing. LOfuckingL.

Postby 09042014 » Wed May 29, 2013 2:36 pm

Icculus wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Icculus wrote:

This is true. I guess when I say it's talked about people know it exists. More people thw you realize also look on here but never post. I mean I never would ask someone "hey, are you on TLS?" But at the same time it's not like no one ever discusses it.

I'm the fat guy pretending to work in the atrium right now.

scifiguy

Postby scifiguy » Wed May 29, 2013 2:37 pm

Follow-up: Are people's real life personas similar to their TLS identities?

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Wed May 29, 2013 2:39 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Icculus wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Icculus wrote:

I'm the fat guy pretending to work in the atrium right now.

This is why I tend to stick to the NU threads. Too bad I'm not in Chicago, otherwise I'd come running jus to say "A Ha!!!"

Postby 09042014 » Wed May 29, 2013 2:40 pm

scifiguy wrote:Follow-up: Are people's real life personas similar to their TLS identities?

Way toned down, for the most part.

nickb285

Postby nickb285 » Wed May 29, 2013 3:23 pm

JamesDean1955 wrote:I was told by many, many students and faculty at ASWs and other visits, plus friends I have in LS, that told me not to let TLS go to your head and take it with a grain of salt.

Yup. TLS was brought up once by a student ambassador when I visited Alabama, and once by someone (can't remember who) during the Utah open house, and both comments were of the "There's some useful stuff there, but keep in mind that not everyone in LS is an Aspergerin' gunner" stripe.

Besides, if I brought up TLS to most people, I wouldn't be able to smugly laugh at the people saying they want to do international human rights law or intelligence law. That's what keeps me going despite the fact that my odds of getting a job out of school are likely exactly as good as theirs.

Mr.Throwback

Postby Mr.Throwback » Wed May 29, 2013 7:52 pm

TLS puts you one step ahead of the rest.

Gunnar Stahl

Postby Gunnar Stahl » Wed May 29, 2013 8:49 pm

scifiguy wrote:Follow-up: Are people's real life personas similar to their TLS identities?

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=209926

prāna

Postby prāna » Wed May 29, 2013 9:54 pm

DADT

hiima3L

Postby hiima3L » Thu May 30, 2013 3:05 pm

nickb285 wrote:

Yup. TLS was brought up once by a student ambassador when I visited Alabama, and once by someone (can't remember who) during the Utah open house, and both comments were of the "There's some useful stuff there, but keep in mind that not everyone in LS is an Aspergerin' gunner" stripe.

Besides, if I brought up TLS to most people, I wouldn't be able to smugly laugh at the people saying they want to do international human rights law or intelligence law. That's what keeps me going despite the fact that my odds of getting a job out of school are likely exactly as good as theirs.

I used to consider the doom and gloom/biglaw or bust mentality of TLS to be overboard and hyperbolic. I didn't take things as seriously as I should have coming into law school and during it. It really wasn't until the end of 2L year that I realized that TLS wisdom is, by and large, sound advice.

Almost no one fully appreciates how terrible the job market is right now until they are jobless 3Ls and by then it's really, really, really hard to catch a decent break and most people are in serious amounts of debt. I also did not appreciate just how prestige-obssessed the legal world is. The difference in opportunities between top schools and everything else is unbelievable.

North

Postby North » Fri May 31, 2013 10:33 am

hiima3L wrote:I used to consider the doom and gloom/biglaw or bust mentality of TLS to be overboard and hyperbolic. I didn't take things as seriously as I should have coming into law school and during it. It really wasn't until the end of 2L year that I realized that TLS wisdom is, by and large, sound advice.

Almost no one fully appreciates how terrible the job market is right now until they are jobless 3Ls and by then it's really, really, really hard to catch a decent break and most people are in serious amounts of debt. I also did not appreciate just how prestige-obssessed the legal world is. The difference in opportunities between top schools and everything else is unbelievable.

This post should replace the copyright infringement notice at the top of every page.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:58 pm

Every now and then somebody in real life will mention TLS, and I'll just smile and nod like I'm not symbiotically attached to this website.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:04 pm

thesealocust wrote:Every now and then somebody in real life will mention TLS, and I'll just smile and nod like I'm not symbiotically attached to this website.

I know, it's like I feel that TLS is MY site. If I ever heard it mentioned by someone else IRL I feel like I'd get protective.

laxbrah420

Postby laxbrah420 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:05 pm

Do you guys talk about me in real life?

North

Postby North » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:54 pm

laxbrah420 wrote:Do you guys talk about me in real life?

Every now and then I wish out loud that VW would permaban you.

So yes.

laxbrah420

Postby laxbrah420 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:54 pm

:shock:

North

Postby North » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:06 pm

laxbrah420 wrote: :shock:

Yeah.

Any mod, really, I wouldn't be upset if it weren't VW.

Edit: grammatical challenge
Last edited by North on Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:08 pm

North wrote:
laxbrah420 wrote: :shock:

Yeah.

Any mod, really, I wouldn't be upset if it wasn't VW.

If it WEREN'T, my grammatically challenged friend.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”