Should I stay in law school? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
walkthegoose

New

Should I stay in law school?

Post by walkthegoose » Wed May 29, 2013 12:31 pm

Edited
Last edited by walkthegoose on Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jimbo_Jones

Bronze

Re: Should I stay in law school?

Post by Jimbo_Jones » Wed May 29, 2013 1:06 pm

A couple of tidbits:

- This is just general advice and not really specific to your situation, but most people don't derive enjoyment (or even hate) their job. For me personally, I think that people really start to hate their jobs when they don't have something they're actively working toward. Without that, you lack direction and sort-of feel like you're just drifting along without any "light at the end of the tunnel." I think it helps to set some short-term goals (on your path toward your long-term career goals) that you can work towards. Your goals will remind you of why you're working there and provide some motivation to keep going.

- Judging by the number of different occupations you've thrown out, it really sounds like you don't know what you want. This is very bad when going to law school because, as you've stated with the work and hours required, it's a career that requires an extremely high level of dedication and sacrifice, and can leave a very bad taste in your mouth if you even remotely don't like it. Law school / a legal career is not a "well there was nothing better to do so I just picked it to do something" career.

- The other career options you've listed likely aren't going to be any easier to break into than private legal practice is going to be. Competition for most jobs in today's world is usually fierce and will all entail a high level of risk. The advice dished out on this forum (only go to school if you can get into a top program with some scholarship money, get top grades, network network network) is applicable to pretty much all careers.

Beyond all that, my advice for you at this point in time is to stick it out. If you really want to change course, you really should be contacting people that currently work in the career you want to transition to and just start asking them as many questions as possible about how they got there, what it takes for people to make the jump, risks/rewards, etc.

NYstate

Gold

Post by NYstate » Wed May 29, 2013 1:15 pm

How much debt will you have when you graduate ? Do you have any professors with decent connections?

walkthegoose

New

Post by walkthegoose » Wed May 29, 2013 2:51 pm

Edited
Last edited by walkthegoose on Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed May 29, 2013 3:01 pm

Okay, you are probably 22, never had a real job before? Work sucks man. Hard work sucks even more. Consulting, IR, and all that will be hard work. The Army will be REALLY hard work.

You will never be a law professor. Well, 99.5% sure you'll never be one. Forget it.

Your TT degree probably isn't very good for foreign policy work, but it's better than paying for some other shitty M. IR degree. Network like a motherfucking. It'll help if you are at American, George Mason, or some other TTT near DC.

Foreign service is really hard to get, but maybe that interests you.

Just realize you are probably throwing your law career down the toilet to pursue this. I'd at least try a big law Summer Associateship for next summer to cover living expenses. If your school lets you extern for a full time semester, do that in DC next year at a think tank.

But you don't even know what you want. You should probably figure that out. But you also have to consider it's time to buck up, you are playing for keeps now.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

walkthegoose

New

Post by walkthegoose » Wed May 29, 2013 5:34 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Network like a motherfucking. It'll help if you are at American, George Mason, or some other TTT near DC.

Just realize you are probably throwing your law career down the toilet to pursue this. I'd at least try a big law Summer Associateship for next summer to cover living expenses. If your school lets you extern for a full time semester, do that in DC next year at a think tank.
That first sentence does not make sense. Not trying to be rude. I'm just not sure what you're saying. thanks for the advice in the second sentence. I'm used to hard work and long hours. I think i misspoke and actually meant that I'm just not crazy about the kind of work I'm doing for long hours.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed May 29, 2013 5:54 pm

walkthegoose wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Network like a motherfucking. It'll help if you are at American, George Mason, or some other TTT near DC.

That first sentence does not make sense. Not trying to be rude. I'm just not sure what you're saying. thanks for the advice in the second sentence. I'm used to hard work and long hours. I think i misspoke and actually meant that I'm just not crazy about the kind of work I'm doing for long hours.
I'm borderline illiterate. Network like a motherfucker. ,

walkthegoose

New

Post by walkthegoose » Wed May 29, 2013 6:10 pm

Edited
Last edited by walkthegoose on Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Thu May 30, 2013 9:55 am

If you are actually at the top of your class you should toss a transfer app to Harvard. That might open up some of those non-traditional opportunities you seem interested in.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Thu May 30, 2013 10:56 am

You should try to transfer b/c you're options for semi-non-lawyer jobs are much better at HYSCCN

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”