Biglaw Associates: What R Your Exit Plans?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
scifiguy

Biglaw Associates: What R Your Exit Plans?

Postby scifiguy » Tue May 28, 2013 11:53 pm

Since most biglaw associates won't make partner, I'm curious what types of back-up/exit plans you guys are preparing and have in mind?

What paths have you seen others take and what are your own plans if you don't mind sharing? And how/when do you start executing/preparing for them (like a timeline)?

Also, lastly, when a person gets let go from biglaw, is it usually done with several months notice at least?

run26.2

Re: Biglaw Associates: What R Your Exit Plans?

Postby run26.2 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:22 pm

scifiguy wrote:Since most biglaw associates won't make partner, I'm curious what types of back-up/exit plans you guys are preparing and have in mind?

What paths have you seen others take and what are your own plans if you don't mind sharing? And how/when do you start executing/preparing for them (like a timeline)?

Also, lastly, when a person gets let go from biglaw, is it usually done with several months notice at least?

You should create another thread with the ability to post anon. I imagine that might could lead to more responses.

Lacepiece23

Postby Lacepiece23 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:18 pm

scifiguy wrote:Since most biglaw associates won't make partner, I'm curious what types of back-up/exit plans you guys are preparing and have in mind?

Only a rising 2L, but my plan is to pay off my loans do lots of pro bono to hopefully get some trial experience, and go criminal defense which is what I've always wanted to do at a large pay cut or start my own firm. This probably won't happen, but I've been networking like crazy with criminal defense attorneys. I also plan to go back to my secondary market where I have connections. Thats just my plan tho.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:20 pm

Lacepiece23 wrote:

Only a rising 2L, but my plan is to pay off my loans do lots of pro bono to hopefully get some trial experience, and go criminal defense which is what I've always wanted to do at a large pay cut or start my own firm. This probably won't happen, but I've been networking like crazy with criminal defense attorneys. I also plan to go back to my secondary market where I have connections. Thats just my plan tho.

Non sarcastic good luck with that. Would be pretty cool if it works out for you.

Lacepiece23

Postby Lacepiece23 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:09 pm

Br3v wrote:
Lacepiece23 wrote:

Non sarcastic good luck with that. Would be pretty cool if it works out for you.

thanks man appreciate it.

KidStuddi

Postby KidStuddi » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:35 am

Marry someone who is more likely to make partner and be a stay at home dad.

scifiguy

Postby scifiguy » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:44 pm

Two follow-ups:

a.) How hard is it to laterally move from biglaw to biglaw if you've been denied partner at one biglaw firm?

b.) How many years of biglaw does it usually take to pay down $100K or more of law school loans? Do you guys expect to be debt free by the time you're asked to leave your biglaw firm - assuming you don't make partner (which statistically most will not)?

Thanks!

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:50 pm

scifiguy wrote:Two follow-ups:

a.) How hard is it to laterally move from biglaw to biglaw if you've been denied partner at one biglaw firm?

b.) How many years of biglaw does it usually take to pay down $100K or more of law school loans? Do you guys expect to be debt free by the time you're asked to leave your biglaw firm - assuming you don't make partner (which statistically most will not)?

Thanks!

both your questions can have an incredibly wide range of responses.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:29 pm

scifiguy. when i read your threads i weep

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”