Records Clerk

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
anacharsis

Records Clerk

Postby anacharsis » Wed May 22, 2013 9:15 pm

Hello all,

I'm a 0L student, heading to UIUC in the fall, and I recently (miraculously) got a job at a mid/large-sized Chicago firm as a records clerk for the summer. I'm excited but nervous, as I have no idea what sort of work exactly this job entails. Could anyone, maybe with past experience, please describe the work one does as a records clerk?

Sorry if this is in the wrong place.

A

anacharsis

Re: Records Clerk

Postby anacharsis » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:36 pm

The placement was apparently so wrong that no one could even stoop to tell me how wrong it was.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:40 pm

I've never heard of a records clerk.

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:47 pm

Records clerk is basically document and file management for litigation. I don't know the day to day details- just think of it as making sure everything associated with the case is up to date and quickly accessible.

Also records clerks may keep track of conflict checks.

vinnnyvincenzo

Postby vinnnyvincenzo » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:18 pm

anacharsis wrote:Hello all,

I'm a 0L student, heading to UIUC in the fall, and I recently (miraculously) got a job at a mid/large-sized Chicago firm as a records clerk for the summer. I'm excited but nervous, as I have no idea what sort of work exactly this job entails. Could anyone, maybe with past experience, please describe the work one does as a records clerk?

A

It's basically creating and organizing files in the system and physically, you could also do conflicts checks. Might not just be litigation either. Why are you excited? Records jobs are boring as shit and I honestly think a 5th grader could do the work, I will say they are an easy ass paycheck though. If you are expecting to learn anything substantive about the law or have meaningful interactions with attorneys you are probably going to be disappointed. Things might be different at your firm of course and I could be generalizing.

BentleyLittle

Postby BentleyLittle » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:36 pm

vinnnyvincenzo wrote:
anacharsis wrote:Hello all,

A

It's basically creating and organizing files in the system and physically, you could also do conflicts checks. Might not just be litigation either. Why are you excited? Records jobs are boring as shit and I honestly think a 5th grader could do the work, I will say they are an easy ass paycheck though. If you are expecting to learn anything substantive about the law or have meaningful interactions with attorneys you are probably going to be disappointed. Things might be different at your firm of course and I could be generalizing.

Currently at a Biglaw firm in Chicago with a similar title and Vinny's response is credited.

anacharsis

Postby anacharsis » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:48 am

vinnnyvincenzo wrote:If you are expecting to learn anything substantive about the law or have meaningful interactions with attorneys you are probably going to be disappointed. Things might be different at your firm of course and I could be generalizing.

I was, unfortunately.

I started work. It turns out the answer to my question was "boxing things; delivering files." Still, a job's a job. Hoping maybe to meet some people, get a foot in the door. Hoping, but not holding my breath.

Thanks for the responses.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”