Working in LS Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
sf_39

New

Working in LS

Post by sf_39 » Tue May 21, 2013 5:06 pm

I realize this is a common topic, but I tried a Google/forum search and couldn't find a match.

I'm currently enrolled in a full time program starting my 1L in August. I work from home/computer. Can normally get my daily work done with about 2-3 hours a weekday and devoting 3-4 on one weekend day.

I know you can't apply the same thinking to everyone as people have different study habits, routines etc. Just wanted to know if anyone thought that was doable in law school. Everyone I've met (minus my co-worker who is a lawyer) has told me I shouldn't work. I also believe my current work would be a helpful tool to help get me a job (as much as a non-grades/journal factor could be).

Appreciate any and all feedback.

buddyt

Silver

Re: Working in LS

Post by buddyt » Tue May 21, 2013 6:04 pm

tag

0L here. It seems like 1L grades trump everything. If work interferes with that, no worky. If not, go ahead. But I look forward to hearing from others; I may attempt something like this in the fall.

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Tue May 21, 2013 6:06 pm

Technically you can't work more than 20 hrs per week as a full time 1L per the ABA. I worked from home as a 1L but my job was many less hrs than yours -- only 10 or so per week. 2-3 hrs per day is too much for a full time student.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue May 21, 2013 6:06 pm

There's a reason why everyone is telling you not to do it. It's a bad idea 1L. 1L is just too important to commit to that many hours to not studying. What free time you have would be better spent relaxing. And then you get to exams and there IS no free time for several weeks.

Also, the ABA forbids full-time students from working more than 20 hours per week anyway.

sf_39

New

Post by sf_39 » Wed May 22, 2013 10:03 pm

Nelson wrote:Technically you can't work more than 20 hrs per week as a full time 1L per the ABA. I worked from home as a 1L but my job was many less hrs than yours -- only 10 or so per week. 2-3 hrs per day is too much for a full time student.
Ok thanks. I think I could scale it back if I needed to. Not ideal, but think it would be possible.

Also for people who work for home, how does the ABA track that out of curiosity? Do you need to like file how many hours you work a week?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed May 22, 2013 10:08 pm

sf_39 wrote:
Nelson wrote:Technically you can't work more than 20 hrs per week as a full time 1L per the ABA. I worked from home as a 1L but my job was many less hrs than yours -- only 10 or so per week. 2-3 hrs per day is too much for a full time student.
Ok thanks. I think I could scale it back if I needed to. Not ideal, but think it would be possible.

Also for people who work for home, how does the ABA track that out of curiosity? Do you need to like file how many hours you work a week?
Technically the school is in charge of enforcing it, since making sure their students (all years, not just 1Ls) don't break the 20 hour rule is a condition of remaining accredited. But cheating during law school is a great way to be rejected by the bar. You really want to risk that?

sf_39

New

Post by sf_39 » Wed May 22, 2013 11:36 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
sf_39 wrote:

Technically the school is in charge of enforcing it, since making sure their students (all years, not just 1Ls) don't break the 20 hour rule is a condition of remaining accredited. But cheating during law school is a great way to be rejected by the bar. You really want to risk that?
I didn't say anything about cheating. I was just curious how one would track that. In fact in that post I said I could scale back my hours to under 20. Thanks for leaping to that conclusion though.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”