Should I stop smoking weed now? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
gpallet01

New

Should I stop smoking weed now?

Post by gpallet01 » Tue May 21, 2013 3:32 pm

0L.. are there drug tests for any 1L summer employment? I'll probably stop anyway totally before law school starts up but any reason to stop now?

Doorkeeper

Gold

Re: Should I stop smoking weed now?

Post by Doorkeeper » Tue May 21, 2013 3:35 pm

It depends on where you want to work.

Federal government asks whether you've taken any drugs in the past one to seven years depending on the agency and office.

I have no idea about biglaw or PI, but I've heard PI offices are much more relaxed about it.

lukertin

Silver

Post by lukertin » Tue May 21, 2013 3:49 pm

I've yet to hear a single place require passing a drug test as a condition of legal employment.

Chriz

Bronze

Post by Chriz » Tue May 21, 2013 3:55 pm

You might as well just keep doing it throughout. Hi-jinx will ensue. I saw it on Suits.

HBBJohnStamos

Bronze

Post by HBBJohnStamos » Tue May 21, 2013 8:18 pm

FWIW, I have a friend working for the fed. that has to pass a test. NBD doe.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

laxbrah420

Gold

Post by laxbrah420 » Tue May 21, 2013 8:20 pm

pot takes 30 days to get out of the system for obese motherfuckers who smoke allday alway.
if you're in shape, expect 2 weeks.
do watchu wanna.

Mr.Throwback

Bronze

Post by Mr.Throwback » Tue May 21, 2013 9:01 pm

laxbrah420 wrote:pot takes 30 days to get out of the system for obese motherfuckers who smoke allday alway.
do watchu wanna.

Not true. It depends on the type of test and how long the user has been abusing. For example, a hair sample will date further back than a urine sample.

muskies970

Bronze

Post by muskies970 » Tue May 21, 2013 9:04 pm

Mr.Throwback wrote:
laxbrah420 wrote:pot takes 30 days to get out of the system for obese motherfuckers who smoke allday alway.
do watchu wanna.

Not true. It depends on the type of test and how long the user has been abusing. For example, a hair sample will date further back than a urine sample.
I doubt anywhere would do a hair test -_- biggest worry would be lie detector test, not because they're difficult to get around if you have half a brain, but because lying is unethical and all

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Tue May 21, 2013 9:20 pm

gpallet01 wrote: I'll probably stop anyway totally before law school starts up but any reason to stop now?
Naaa. Enjoy your summer and do what makes you happy. Youll be fine.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Mr.Throwback

Bronze

Post by Mr.Throwback » Tue May 21, 2013 9:21 pm

I should have added that if you've been smoking for years, it can be upwards of three months to get it out of your system.

gpallet01

New

Post by gpallet01 » Tue May 21, 2013 10:55 pm

do you guys want to smoke w/ me?

TrustInMusic

Bronze

Post by TrustInMusic » Tue May 21, 2013 11:13 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:It depends on where you want to work.

Federal government asks whether you've taken any drugs in the past one to seven years depending on the agency and office.

I have no idea about biglaw or PI, but I've heard PI offices are much more relaxed about it.
That's harsh.

y2zipper

New

Post by y2zipper » Wed May 22, 2013 3:20 pm

Disclose if they ask. The gov doesn't care if you've done it in the past. They care more about it if you lie. Oh, and don't be doped up when you have to go for a drug test.

Law enforcement asks about lifetime, but those background checks are ridiculous.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed May 22, 2013 3:42 pm

TrustInMusic wrote:

That's harsh.
That's for the national security clearance. I don't think they go back that far for, say, work in a GC's office for completely domestic stuff.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Wed May 22, 2013 3:50 pm

gpallet01 wrote:do you guys want to smoke w/ me?
Only if you're throwing in...

lawhopeful10

Silver

Post by lawhopeful10 » Wed May 22, 2013 3:56 pm

Slightly different situation but to the guy who said just admit to it, my buddy was in like the ROTC program at my undergrad and they were basically like we don't care it's no big deal but have you done any drugs in the past and he said he smoked weed three times.(in reality it was a lot more) Anyway basically they turned the tables on him and he got fucked for it and he basically said if you can pass a test then take your drug history to the grave. Idk how different it is for people in legal fields though.

TrustInMusic

Bronze

Post by TrustInMusic » Wed May 22, 2013 3:57 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
TrustInMusic wrote:

That's harsh.
That's for the national security clearance. I don't think they go back that far for, say, work in a GC's office for completely domestic stuff.
i like what you say.
lawhopeful10 wrote:Slightly different situation but to the guy who said just admit to it, my buddy was in like the ROTC program at my undergrad and they were basically like we don't care it's no big deal but have you done any drugs in the past and he said he smoked weed three times.(in reality it was a lot more) Anyway basically they turned the tables on him and he got fucked for it and he basically said if you can pass a test then take your drug history to the grave. Idk how different it is for people in legal fields though.
oh shit son.

what's a man got to do here

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed May 22, 2013 4:02 pm

lawhopeful10 wrote:Slightly different situation but to the guy who said just admit to it, my buddy was in like the ROTC program at my undergrad and they were basically like we don't care it's no big deal but have you done any drugs in the past and he said he smoked weed three times.(in reality it was a lot more) Anyway basically they turned the tables on him and he got fucked for it and he basically said if you can pass a test then take your drug history to the grave. Idk how different it is for people in legal fields though.
Someone here had a similar story from the military - I think he got asked about drug use, he answered honestly, and the military person said, "That's great, son, now give me the RIGHT answer to that question."

In the legal field, disclosing use in the past is not usually a problem (for the national security clearance, drug use isn't an automatic bar unless you've used since taking the bar exam). (See this: http://news.clearancejobs.com/2010/04/2 ... learances/, though it's a little old now.) Depends on the extent of your use and how far in the past it is, though. And yes, you can take the risk of not disclosing when you think there's no way they'll find out, but that means you're lying to, say, the federal government, which is an ethical problem.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Wed May 22, 2013 6:09 pm

I told the JAG Marine that I had smoked in high school, and he said I didn't have the character they were looking for then. I will never again admit to smoking. No one can prove otherwise.

dudders

Bronze

Post by dudders » Wed May 22, 2013 6:29 pm

I got pee tested for my 1L summer internship (federal), and I think I would've had to get tested again for a DOJ internship during 2L if I didn't already have a recent clean test on file.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed May 22, 2013 6:37 pm

JazzOne wrote:I told the JAG Marine that I had smoked in high school, and he said I didn't have the character they were looking for then. I will never again admit to smoking. No one can prove otherwise.
If it ever comes up again, keep in mind that for the kinds of clearances that usually involve a drug test, they're likely to contact people who know you from every place you've lived for the last 7 years, and they'll ask those people about your drug use. (So be strategic in who you list, is all I'm saying...)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Wed May 22, 2013 9:01 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
JazzOne wrote:I told the JAG Marine that I had smoked in high school, and he said I didn't have the character they were looking for then. I will never again admit to smoking. No one can prove otherwise.
If it ever comes up again, keep in mind that for the kinds of clearances that usually involve a drug test, they're likely to contact people who know you from every place you've lived for the last 7 years, and they'll ask those people about your drug use. (So be strategic in who you list, is all I'm saying...)
Ya I know. I'm not vying for government jobs at this point. I was just relaying an experience from my past.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Thu May 23, 2013 4:31 am

JazzOne wrote:
gpallet01 wrote:do you guys want to smoke w/ me?
Only if you're throwing in...
Legit JazzOne sighting

howlery

Bronze

Post by howlery » Tue May 28, 2013 11:45 am

I think I read somewhere on HLS's website about "experimental" drug use, especially during college, would not be considered a red flag. It was on one of their guides to government jobs or something. Would it better to pick up drinking instead? I hate the taste of alcohol, but pot probably won't be legal in my lifetime.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Tue May 28, 2013 11:48 am

howlery wrote:I hate the taste of alcohol, but pot probably won't be legal in my lifetime.
Its legal in CO and WA

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”