On how to type faster Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
buddyt

Silver

Re: On how to type faster

Post by buddyt » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:11 pm

I peaked at 164wpm, but after 15 races my average is 140. That's what a childhood wasted on the computer will do.

That game is addicting. I see myself wasting a lot more time on it trying to get my speed up in the future.

adamfort

New

Post by adamfort » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:26 am

sinfiery wrote:At http://play.typeracer.com

The high end of the leaderboard is ridiculous

Can't question 140 after seeing that
Great service, but personally I like "real life" typing tests where I need to type capital letters, commas and other punctuation. It provides you with your real results.

P.s. If someone interested, link to test - SPAM

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:37 am

adamfort wrote:

Great service, but personally I like "real life" typing tests where I need to type capital letters, commas and other punctuation. It provides you with your real results.

P.s. If someone interested, link to test - SPAM
first link makes you do that too

also, everyone in LS types pretty damn fast, wtf. I lost what I thought would be my greatest advantage

KD35

Silver

Post by KD35 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:40 am

sinfiery wrote:
adamfort wrote:

P.s. If someone interested, link to test - SPAM[/url]
first link makes you do that too

also, everyone in LS types pretty damn fast, wtf. I lost what I thought would be my greatest advantage
Some chick in my section can type pretty damn fast with just one hand...said it had something to do with being a theater major and having to hold a book in one hand and type with another...that being said, people aren't all typing at like 100 wpm. And the people that do suck at taking notes cuz they just try to take everything the prof says down.

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:48 am

lol wtf, that's fairly awesome. I'd put that on my resume.

I've been scarred by three people in front of me that pretty much type every other word the professer says at astronimical speeds; i am terrified of their work ethic.
They even sit up and have proper posture for 2 hours, seriously who are these people

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

KD35

Silver

Post by KD35 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:36 pm

sinfiery wrote:lol wtf, that's fairly awesome. I'd put that on my resume.

I've been scarred by three people in front of me that pretty much type every other word the professer says at astronimical speeds; i am terrified of their work ethic.
They even sit up and have proper posture for 2 hours, seriously who are these people
Yea I heard there's a direct correlation between the amount of notes you take and your grade in the class...and then when you add those people recording class so they can listen to it on repeat while they sleep, you have no chance.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:48 pm

Shoot for 2000 edited words of solid, concise, non-repetitive analysis per hour.

Work on your exam typing speed by taking practice tests and knowing the rules cold.

chup

Diamond

Post by chup » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:50 pm

Spam necro.

scifiguy

Silver

Post by scifiguy » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:42 pm

I didn't read the entire thread, but am wondering if anyone addressed subject "thinking speed" as well?

Obviously, we can ask the question of how one can type faster as a purely mechanical/physical skill. But related to typing speed is also thinking speed, as a person can only type what they are able to think.

Have people practiced improving and increasing their (good/accurate) thinking speed? ...If so, what has it involved? ...E.g., Internalizing the material - it's logic and details, etc. - to the point that it is memorized (the memorizable portions that is) and has become intuitive/second nature? Doing numerous practice exams and drills?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Kafkaesquire

Bronze

Post by Kafkaesquire » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:31 am

scifiguy wrote:I didn't read the entire thread, but am wondering if anyone addressed subject "thinking speed" as well?

Obviously, we can ask the question of how one can type faster as a purely mechanical/physical skill. But related to typing speed is also thinking speed, as a person can only type what they are able to think.

Have people practiced improving and increasing their (good/accurate) thinking speed? ...If so, what has it involved? ...E.g., Internalizing the material - it's logic and details, etc. - to the point that it is memorized (the memorizable portions that is) and has become intuitive/second nature? Doing numerous practice exams and drills?
If you leave a body whose mass is large enough, time will slow and your thinking speed will relatively increase.

Go ahead and try it. No one will miss you.

Annas

New

Post by Annas » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:04 pm

If you have a bad typing habit - hunt and pecking, it wll be hard time for you. You need to start everything from scratch. The first step is learning how to sit and put fingers. The first rule is do not put hands on table or keyboard - it will incerase your speed for sure.
More tips that I follow at SPAMMITY SPAM SPAM SPAM.

Second step is to continue practicing everyday. 30 minutes a day will be more than enough.

Third - do not look on the keyboard. In the beginning it will lead to slow typing but later you will benefit for sure.

kykiske

Bronze

Post by kykiske » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:33 pm

I never felt that I was at a distinct disadvantage because I couldn't type 150 WPM.

Though, I should add a disclaimer. My two highest grades from 1L year were those that had the fewest words.

For the finals where I word-dumped, I got decent, but not stellar grades.

I do remember that during one of my study sessions my tutor told our section that everyone should take an hour out of their Sunday and dedicate it to typing practice.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”