On how to type faster Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
TrialLawyer16

Bronze

Re: On how to type faster

Post by TrialLawyer16 » Sat May 18, 2013 12:35 pm

I'm out of practice *shrug* 8)

I'll give it a couple more goes and see what happens.

TrialLawyer16

Bronze

Post by TrialLawyer16 » Sat May 18, 2013 1:33 pm

New champ 8) . That game is addicting tho smh

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Sat May 18, 2013 1:37 pm

Afraid not, those challenges are a lot easier than the actual races and also don't count towards the leaderboard. Cobretti killin it.

But yeah, I believe the 140+

TrialLawyer16

Bronze

Post by TrialLawyer16 » Sat May 18, 2013 1:56 pm

sinfiery wrote:Afraid not, those challenges are a lot easier than the actual races and also don't count towards the leaderboard. Cobretti killin it.

Ahh good point. Cobretti, you have the title..... for now :twisted: lol

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Sat May 18, 2013 2:31 pm

TrialLawyer16 wrote:
sinfiery wrote:Afraid not, those challenges are a lot easier than the actual races and also don't count towards the leaderboard. Cobretti killin it.

148 :mrgreen:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

untar614

Silver

Post by untar614 » Sat May 18, 2013 3:08 pm

Cobretti wrote:
TrialLawyer16 wrote:

148 :mrgreen:
geez. I finally broke 70 and was happy about that...

Micdiddy

Gold

Post by Micdiddy » Sat May 18, 2013 4:14 pm

Am I the only one itt who looks at the keyboard and pecks? Fml.

MyNameIsFlynn!

Silver

Post by MyNameIsFlynn! » Sat May 18, 2013 4:52 pm

Micdiddy wrote:Am I the only one itt who looks at the keyboard and pecks? Fml.
Probably. That's a pretty boomer way of typing.

KD35

Silver

Post by KD35 » Sat May 18, 2013 5:31 pm

Average speed on that game is up to 89 now...hopefully that's an improvement instead of just situational.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

untar614

Silver

Post by untar614 » Sat May 18, 2013 6:33 pm

Can any students comment on the nature of these types of exams - are you often limited by your typing speed? I feel like with 3 hours of just writing, I'd end up being limited by coming up with ever more stuff to write before not being able to get it all out because I wasn't typing fast enough.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat May 18, 2013 7:10 pm

There have definitely been exams where I've run out of time to address all the issues before running out of things to say (so typing faster might have helped, although it's as much about reading/thinking speed as getting it down on paper speed). Generally, exams ask you to spot all the legal issues in a particular set of facts - that is, given a particular set of facts, what are all the legal problems? (X and Y have a contract for X to do A, B, and C, but instead, X does B, D, and F - what can Y sue X for?) It's easy for a prof to write an exam with so many facts and so many potential legal issues to address that no one will be able to address all the issues in 3 hours, and then it's a question of who addresses the most issues the best in 3 hours. (This rewards fast writing/thinking/typing as well as good preparation.) It's not like an undergrad exam, where the question might be something like, Discuss the causes of the Civil War. The "question" you're given can easily be 2-3 pages of single-spaced fact scenario (per question, and you have 3 questions).

M458

Bronze

Post by M458 » Sun May 19, 2013 5:45 pm

KD35

Silver

Post by KD35 » Sun May 19, 2013 6:25 pm

Poor Anne...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Mon May 20, 2013 3:14 pm

KD35 wrote:
Poor Anne...
Her?

untar614

Silver

Post by untar614 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:34 am

seeing all your ridiculous typing speeds, I've been trying to improve my own, and teaching myself to type the "correct, formal way". In doing so, I've realized just how terribly the keyboard is laid out. Seriously, why the hell are the comma and period keys down there while the semicolon is on the home row? Are people using tons of semicolons that I'm just not aware of? And way is backspace so far away? It makes every little mistake a disaster to typing speed. Typeracer is starting to piss me off because I keep getting hit with pieces containing a bunch of unusual punctuation and slang and whatnot.

I'm seriously considering buying a new keyboard with a split spacebar and getting some key stickers to reformat the layout for a few of the keys.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:44 am

At my HS there was a wpm record -- not sure why they kept this -- and I broke it freshman year at 164. Yea, girls flocked to me for the next four years IN DROVES.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:40 am

untar614 wrote:seeing all your ridiculous typing speeds, I've been trying to improve my own, and teaching myself to type the "correct, formal way". In doing so, I've realized just how terribly the keyboard is laid out. Seriously, why the hell are the comma and period keys down there while the semicolon is on the home row? Are people using tons of semicolons that I'm just not aware of? And way is backspace so far away? It makes every little mistake a disaster to typing speed. Typeracer is starting to piss me off because I keep getting hit with pieces containing a bunch of unusual punctuation and slang and whatnot.

I'm seriously considering buying a new keyboard with a split spacebar and getting some key stickers to reformat the layout for a few of the keys.
Actually, the standard QWERTY layout was intended to slow typists down - originally, back in the day of manual typewriters, people could type faster than the typewriter could keep up, and the keys kept getting jammed. So enter QWERTY, intended to ensure people couldn't type quickly enough to jam the keys and screw up the machine. Obviously, that's obsolete now. (You can get apps that will reprogram your keyboard/keyboards laid out differently, for more efficient layouts. But I'm so used to QWERTY that I don't think I could adjust - even typing on keyboards in foreign countries, where things like the punctuation marks are often in different places, makes me nuts.)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

untar614

Silver

Post by untar614 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:53 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
untar614 wrote:seeing all your ridiculous typing speeds, I've been trying to improve my own, and teaching myself to type the "correct, formal way". In doing so, I've realized just how terribly the keyboard is laid out. Seriously, why the hell are the comma and period keys down there while the semicolon is on the home row? Are people using tons of semicolons that I'm just not aware of? And way is backspace so far away? It makes every little mistake a disaster to typing speed. Typeracer is starting to piss me off because I keep getting hit with pieces containing a bunch of unusual punctuation and slang and whatnot.

Actually, the standard QWERTY layout was intended to slow typists down - originally, back in the day of manual typewriters, people could type faster than the typewriter could keep up, and the keys kept getting jammed. So enter QWERTY, intended to ensure people couldn't type quickly enough to jam the keys and screw up the machine. Obviously, that's obsolete now. (You can get apps that will reprogram your keyboard/keyboards laid out differently, for more efficient layouts. But I'm so used to QWERTY that I don't think I could adjust - even typing on keyboards in foreign countries, where things like the punctuation marks are often in different places, makes me nuts.)
Yeah, that's the thing - I'm already fairly used to the QWERTY layout, even if the homerow deal I'm still getting used to. Otherwise I'd be all over getting a Dvorak keyboard. I'd probably just make a few changes, like moving some of the punctuation keys around and making a backspace key where I can closely reach it. I tend to space with my left thumb, so if I get a split spacebar, I'd have to switch the formatting around for that.

KD35

Silver

Post by KD35 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:17 pm

untar614 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:

Yeah, that's the thing - I'm already fairly used to the QWERTY layout, even if the homerow deal I'm still getting used to. Otherwise I'd be all over getting a Dvorak keyboard. I'd probably just make a few changes, like moving some of the punctuation keys around and making a backspace key where I can closely reach it. I tend to space with my left thumb, so if I get a split spacebar, I'd have to switch the formatting around for that.
How much would a "better" keyboard layout even result though? I can't imagine one would be much faster, even after spending vast amounts of time practicing/learning a new way.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:39 pm

KD35 wrote:How much would a "better" keyboard layout even result though? I can't imagine one would be much faster, even after spending vast amounts of time practicing/learning a new way.
Well, Dvorak/other alternates are supposed to be faster, in terms of things like which letters you often type together and so on. Don't know how it works in practice, though, because I've never tried.

PRgradBYU

Silver

Post by PRgradBYU » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:55 pm

Play MMORPGs or the Typing of the Dead (lol).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

NoodleyOne

Gold

Post by NoodleyOne » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:52 pm

Averaging 86 WPM with a high of 102...

I need to get faster!!!!

johndhi

Bronze

Post by johndhi » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:03 am

this game is fucking awesome

johndhi

Bronze

Post by johndhi » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:16 am

anybody beat 150?

bananapeanutbutter

Bronze

Post by bananapeanutbutter » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:57 am

OP, you can PM me if you wish.

I had the longest exams by far in most of my classes. I'm not the best student - I'm around top ten percent, but some of my friends are closer to valedictorian with much shorter, but objectively better exams.

I normally type well over 2500 words/10 pages per hour, but I'm not the best typer. My strategy is to know the doctrine and case holdings plus key facts cold, outline my answer and just type whatever the hell pops into my brain. It takes a little self confidence, and not giving a shit to never read back/think about what you wrote. However, if you have tons of on point analysis, even if it sucks, you'll prob not get below median and in the off chance it's coherent you will get an A. I'm a very fast thinker, but not a deep or brilliant one. Therefore, my only chance to stand out is to write a shit ton, and make it funny at times.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”