Career Goals: Then and Now? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Bronte

Gold

Re: Career Goals: Then and Now?

Post by Bronte » Sun May 19, 2013 7:12 pm

Skye wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:I was sort of shorthanding is the idea some people have that they're going to go into law to "do good" and "help people"
Maybe is there was a “do good” tuition option more people would focus on trying “to help.”
Well there is LRAP. The main problem is the lack of jobs in public interest.

hiima3L

Silver

Post by hiima3L » Mon May 20, 2013 12:10 pm

toothbrush wrote:With many of you graduation and/or starting summer employment I wanted to discuss careers a bit. This may be a sore topic but I think it'd be interesting and beneficial to hear.

What were your goals coming into law school (however many years ago that was)? Has that changed? If so, what events in law school helped you change your mind?

What are you realistically going to be doing after law school? If it's a different field than anticipated, why did it change?

What do you foresee yourself doing in 5 years? 10? 15?
1. I wanted to go into transactional work. TL;DR I had no idea what I wanted or what any legal practice of any kind really is like. During LS, I did a bunch of litigation-based classes and interned at courts and now I am gung ho on litigating. Finding out I am a good legal writer also helped change my mind.

2. I work for a gov't agency. It changed because I applied at the beginning of 3L, was offered, and accepted on the spot.

3. Litigation or career clerking/staff attorney-ing.

El Principe

Silver

Post by El Principe » Tue May 21, 2013 1:50 am

Clerk for a year, work with a good litigation firm for experience, and either make partner (if there's a chance or I'd even want it) or jump ship for solo practice or ADA/AUSA.

treeey86

Bronze

Post by treeey86 » Tue May 21, 2013 10:55 am

Went to law school with the idea I wanted to practice sports and entertainment law, without knowing really what that entailed.

Spent 1L summer working in an entertainment law firm and enjoyed the work but not the firm lifestyle/mentality.

2L realized that I fit more in with the personality of an in-house lawyer. I pursued experiential opportunities with corporations doing a combination of business work and corporate law.

Came out of law school working for a reputable company as in-house counsel doing business deals and advising on corporate matters.

Transitioned to in-house position with a company in the sports and entertainment industry.

Law school + early years in practice taught me that I enjoyed the law as a subject matter and enjoyed working on the issues that were dealt with in sports and entertainment, but I did not enjoy law firm lifestyle. Luckily found a career that let me have my cake and eat it too.

KD35

Silver

Post by KD35 » Tue May 21, 2013 10:58 am

Wanted to practice international law. Stupid noob.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

toothbrush

Gold

Post by toothbrush » Tue May 21, 2013 11:08 am

treeey86 wrote:Went to law school with the idea I wanted to practice sports and entertainment law, without knowing really what that entailed.

Spent 1L summer working in an entertainment law firm and enjoyed the work but not the firm lifestyle/mentality.

2L realized that I fit more in with the personality of an in-house lawyer. I pursued experiential opportunities with corporations doing a combination of business work and corporate law.

Came out of law school working for a reputable company as in-house counsel doing business deals and advising on corporate matters.

Transitioned to in-house position with a company in the sports and entertainment industry.

Law school + early years in practice taught me that I enjoyed the law as a subject matter and enjoyed working on the issues that were dealt with in sports and entertainment, but I did not enjoy law firm lifestyle. Luckily found a career that let me have my cake and eat it too.
This is a great answer!

Thanks to you, and everyone thus far. I'd love to hear some more.

Diamond

Post by 06102016 » Sun May 26, 2013 2:28 am

utlaw2007

Silver

Post by utlaw2007 » Sun May 26, 2013 4:24 pm

I went to law school with every intention on practicing in biglaw. I had no desire to be a trial lawyer. And I definitely had no desire to run my own law firm. Now, I am a trial lawyer with his own law firm.

As for helping others and fighting for justice, that's what I do. That is one of the perks of doing your own thing. You run the show and get to do what you want. You can be selective as to what clients for which you advocate.

utlaw2007

Silver

Post by utlaw2007 » Sun May 26, 2013 4:31 pm

I wanted biglaw because of the pay even though I was always apprehensive about working for a law firm. I just felt that it did not suit me. Once in law school, these thoughts were confirmed.

There is just no other way I could work for someone. I don't know what it is, but working for someone, needing someone's approval, impedes my thought process. Instead of focusing on a solution to the problem or answer to the question, I focus on answering with what the "boss" finds acceptable.

In practice, I've already have run into differences of opinion, but my way tends to get very advantageous results. I have do do things my way. And running my own shop allows me to do that.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

utlaw2007

Silver

Post by utlaw2007 » Sun May 26, 2013 4:46 pm

And there is a strong misconception on this forum and with law students in general that doing good and making a lot of money are mutually exclusive. They are not. I have firsthand experience with this truth as I do what I do.

Detrox

Bronze

Post by Detrox » Tue May 28, 2013 3:05 pm

slack_academic wrote:
El Principe wrote:Clerk for a year, work with a good litigation firm for experience, and either make partner (if there's a chance or I'd even want it) or jump ship for solo practice or ADA/AUSA.
These are goals I'm interested in, too. The more I talk to people, the more unrealistic they seem, particularly the jump to ADA/AUSA. I guess those are long term goals, though, so whatever. Anyone care to comment?
If you're able to get a federal clerkship and a few years of big firm experience ADA/AUSA isn't that unrealistic at all. The more unrealistic goals are getting those jobs straight out of law school or straight out of the clerkship although on rare occasions even those situations occur.

Diamond

Post by 06102016 » Tue May 28, 2013 5:32 pm

Diamond

Post by 06102016 » Fri May 31, 2013 6:27 pm

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”