When do you study for the bar?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
timshellaw

When do you study for the bar?

Postby timshellaw » Fri May 10, 2013 3:33 pm

Curious 0L here. I'm wondering how students who have job offers/begin jobs make time to study for the bar. I understand that Barbri has in-classroom classes, is this the norm? I'm just curious as to how recent grads swing this if they're working full time.

Also, I read a tweet by a former classmate about having submitted his bar app super late and saying he has been waiting for almost a year to be admitted (?). Do we receive any guidance on this? I feel like after all the help TLS was with LSAT/apps/getting there, I'm back to square one and know nothing.

wisdom

Re: When do you study for the bar?

Postby wisdom » Fri May 10, 2013 3:40 pm

The ordinary timing is: graduation (May), bar studying (May-June-July), bar (mid-July), start work (September at the earliest). So you basically have the summer off to study for the bar. Not many jobs start after you graduate, most of them start in the fall. This includes judicial clerkships, which typically start in August/September.

If you're already working full-time, which will be an unusual situation, you just have to suck it up and work crazy hours.

OneMoreLawHopeful

Postby OneMoreLawHopeful » Fri May 10, 2013 3:46 pm

The start date for most jobs will be after the bar exam. Most biglaw firms will both pay for a bar exam course and give you a stipend or salary advance to live off of while you study.

So you will typically graduate in early/mid May. Then you start your bar review course, and it will run through June to mid-July. Then you take the bar. You don't start your job until August or later (depends on the firm, HIGHLY variable, September seems to be common this year, though October/November were more common during the recession).

BarBri will offer some classroom lectures, but you will also have to watch videos. BarBri will also offer to "grade" a handful of essays for you as part of their course. Other courses tend to be more heavily video dependent, but are also cheaper.

The whole classroom/video thing is less important, however, because you're just going for a "pass," unlike lawschool classes where you want "dat A.". You don't need to worry about getting everything perfect, so much as just not completely blowing one of the essays.

timshellaw

Postby timshellaw » Fri May 10, 2013 3:50 pm

I'm not sure why I didn't think this was the case. Total noob. :roll: Thanks!

P.S. Any commentary on the bar application part? Passing the bar =/= being admitted to the bar?

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri May 10, 2013 3:52 pm

Once you get to the point of applying for the bar, your school and your state bar association have resources to help you fill all that out. (Basically, when in doubt, call your state bar association.) TLS can only be of so much assistance because what admission requires varies from state to state. So I could tell you about what I did to get admitted in my state, but it won't help you unless you're getting admitted there too.

(Also, is your former classmate in NY? They are NOTORIOUSLY slow because they don't let you complete the character and fitness portion of the application until after you've passed the bar [you take the bar in July, NY results come out around November I think]. I found out I passed in the first week in October and was admitted 3 weeks later.)

Passing =/= getting admitted because getting admitted means you've passed the character and fitness portion of the bar application (are you a good person? have you embezzled funds or lied on your taxes? are you a convicted felon? etc.), which is distinct from being tested on your knowledge of the law. What that entails varies according to state.

timshellaw

Postby timshellaw » Fri May 10, 2013 4:59 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Once you get to the point of applying for the bar, your school and your state bar association have resources to help you fill all that out. (Basically, when in doubt, call your state bar association.) TLS can only be of so much assistance because what admission requires varies from state to state. So I could tell you about what I did to get admitted in my state, but it won't help you unless you're getting admitted there too.

(Also, is your former classmate in NY? They are NOTORIOUSLY slow because they don't let you complete the character and fitness portion of the application until after you've passed the bar [you take the bar in July, NY results come out around November I think]. I found out I passed in the first week in October and was admitted 3 weeks later.)

Passing =/= getting admitted because getting admitted means you've passed the character and fitness portion of the bar application (are you a good person? have you embezzled funds or lied on your taxes? are you a convicted felon? etc.), which is distinct from being tested on your knowledge of the law. What that entails varies according to state.

Yes, he is! Thanks so much.

beautyistruth

Postby beautyistruth » Fri May 10, 2013 5:03 pm

And if you don't pass the bar, are you screwed, pretty much, as far as having a job? (Complete 0L know-nothing here).

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri May 10, 2013 5:13 pm

If you got hired at a firm after your 2L summer, they will usually give you another shot at passing the bar.

If you have a job as a DA or PD, you're probably screwed, because they expect you to be able to go into court, and if you graduate, take the bar exam, and fail, you can't practice on your student certification any more. (There are stories from my local PD of people actually being in court when the results come out and when it turns out they've failed, someone from the PD's office has to go get them and drag them out of court IMMEDIATELY.)

Other government jobs, it probably depends, especially on whether it's a litigating job (I know someone who works for a federal agency, she failed the first time and the agency let her take it a second time - but I don't think they go into court that often).

And if you don't yet have a job, failing will make getting a job much harder, because most employers who are hiring people after bar results come out expect them to have passed the bar and be able to practice.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”