Biglaw Hygiene

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
scifiguy

Biglaw Hygiene

Postby scifiguy » Thu May 09, 2013 12:29 am

I apologize in advance for the random question.

I know that social skills are very important in biglaw in working with clients and your peers and at the same time there are super long hours sometimes that can last for like two days without break. I've heard the stories of biglaw associates sleeping in the office.

Just curious about how hygiene stuff works when you are working non-stop for like a week with maybe 2 or 3 hours of sleep a day? Do people find the time to still shower, shave, etc. or is it acceptable in biglaw during these periods to just "rough it" and do without those things (where everyone understands)?

scifiguy

Re: Biglaw Hygiene

Postby scifiguy » Thu May 09, 2013 12:30 am

Preemptive Post: Stop Making Threads.

scifiguy

Postby scifiguy » Thu May 09, 2013 12:30 am

scifiguy wrote:Stop Making Threads.

scifiguy

Postby scifiguy » Thu May 09, 2013 12:31 am

scifiguy wrote:

This. :wink:
Last edited by scifiguy on Thu May 09, 2013 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Thu May 09, 2013 12:31 am

feeling threatened by the new troll?

we didn't forget you existed, don't worry

ETA:
stop making threads

Lacepiece23

Postby Lacepiece23 » Thu May 09, 2013 12:31 am

lol preempting your own post with prospective responses. Classic . I actually enjoy your threads btw. I think ppl take the whole search button thing too seriously. Honestly everything law related has to at least been talked about once on this site.

nickb285

Postby nickb285 » Thu May 09, 2013 12:34 am

Only shit on the desks of subordinates, NEVER superiors.

Cultivating a yeast infection is a good way to reduce sexual harassment in the workplace.

Overpowering body odor demonstrates to a client that you are taking their problem extremely seriously.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Thu May 09, 2013 12:35 am

scifiguy wrote:I apologize in advance for the random question.

I know that social skills are very important in biglaw in working with clients and your peers and at the same time there are super long hours sometimes that can last for like two days without break. I've heard the stories of biglaw associates sleeping in the office.

Just curious about how hygiene stuff works when you are working non-stop for like a week with maybe 2 or 3 hours of sleep a day? Do people find the time to still shower, shave, etc. or is it acceptable in biglaw during these periods to just "rough it" and do without those things (where everyone understands)?

<facepalm>

some firms have showers in the office, most associates have gym memberships where there are showers, you can shave in any bathroom and throw cologne on.

Most of my friends in BigLaw, even with very long hours, can usually sneak home for a couple to shower.

Remember scifi guy...where there is a will, there is a way....

stop making threads.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Thu May 09, 2013 12:36 am

nickb285 wrote:Only shit on the desks of subordinates, NEVER superiors.

Cultivating a yeast infection is a good way to reduce sexual harassment in the workplace.

Overpowering body odor demonstrates to a client that you are taking their problem extremely seriously.

I wish TLS had a like button.

Aawaldrop

Postby Aawaldrop » Thu May 09, 2013 12:36 am

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Thu May 09, 2013 1:24 am

You make choices in biglaw. An assignment will take you a while to do, and be hard. Do you spend 5 hours on it? 10 hours? Do you get it done before dawn the next day for maximum time to review, or do you plan to work on it in the morning? If you plan to work on it in the morning, what happens if something else comes up?

All of these choices have consequences, on your sleep habits, personal life, soul, reputation, sanity, etc. If your work gets to the point where you cannot bathe or sleep - and it's not a one time emergency or deal/case of a life time - then you've failed long before the point where you chose not to shower. You need to manage your workload, even if that means saying no, requesting help, or shuffling assignments.

If my MBE memory is right, you may actually have an ethical duty to your clients to not be that overwhelmed.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu May 09, 2013 2:49 am

scifiguy wrote:
scifiguy wrote:

This. :wink:

No.

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Thu May 09, 2013 3:47 am

nickb285 wrote:

WhiteyCakes

Postby WhiteyCakes » Thu May 09, 2013 7:28 am

thesealocust wrote:You make choices in biglaw. An assignment will take you a while to do, and be hard. Do you spend 5 hours on it? 10 hours? Do you get it done before dawn the next day for maximum time to review, or do you plan to work on it in the morning? If you plan to work on it in the morning, what happens if something else comes up?

All of these choices have consequences, on your sleep habits, personal life, soul, reputation, sanity, etc. If your work gets to the point where you cannot bathe or sleep - and it's not a one time emergency or deal/case of a life time - then you've failed long before the point where you chose not to shower. You need to manage your workload, even if that means saying no, requesting help, or shuffling assignments.

If my MBE memory is right, you may actually have an ethical duty to your clients to not be that overwhelmed.

The only serious response you are likely to get

vinnnyvincenzo

Postby vinnnyvincenzo » Thu May 09, 2013 9:36 am

What's the protocol when you pull a legit all night? Is it cool to go home and catch a couple hour of z's from say like 9am-noon or do you just push through looped out from sleep deprivation?

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Thu May 09, 2013 9:49 am

vinnnyvincenzo wrote:What's the protocol when you pull a legit all night? Is it cool to go home and catch a couple hour of z's from say like 9am-noon or do you just push through looped out from sleep deprivation?

Depends on what is going on the next day. I know some folks at my firm who pulled all-nighters, and then were totally booked up the next day as well and ran on fumes. I know someone else who pulled an all-nighter and just left a few hours early the next day, around mid-afternoon since he was nodding off so bad.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Thu May 09, 2013 10:00 am

scifiguy wrote:

Also, please stop defiling the symbol of one of my favorite shows/movie franchises by having it as your avatar.

Remember, the good of the many outweighs the good of the few.
Or the one.
Especially if the one is sci-fi guy.

jtabustos

Postby jtabustos » Thu May 09, 2013 11:51 am

How big are the gyms in these firms? Do you guys just mean workout equipment or would a firm gym actually have something like a basketball court? If the latter, that would be pretty amazing.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Thu May 09, 2013 12:20 pm

nickb285 wrote:

Thank you for this.

guano

Postby guano » Thu May 09, 2013 1:57 pm

I don't know why OP keeps asking about biglaw life when his posts strongly indicate there is no chance he'll be hired by any firm

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Thu May 09, 2013 2:02 pm

jtabustos wrote:How big are the gyms in these firms? Do you guys just mean workout equipment or would a firm gym actually have something like a basketball court? If the latter, that would be pretty amazing.

Most are small gym rooms. Think something like a hotel gym. Has a few cardio machines, a dumbbell rack, a few weight machines, maybe a cable station, a bench or 2, etc. My firm had a gym like this with locker room and showers, and I made use of it before I started work each morning. Basketball court would be awesome, but most city firms don't have room for that.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”