1L clothing investment.

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
AMilfordMan

1L clothing investment.

Postby AMilfordMan » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:22 pm

As a 1L, how often will I need to be in a suit? To be honest, I love dressing up but never get the chance now. I have a few suit/tie/shirt combos to work with, but I started to wonder how often I will even be in a suit my first year.

At the end of the day this is completely inconsequential, but I'm just curious.

LeDique

Re: 1L clothing investment.

Postby LeDique » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:26 pm

Daily. You don't want to be the only prole in your Civ Pro class without a suit on.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:26 pm

I've worn a suit probably 5-6 times this year, and business casual a bunch more.

And I didn't go to a bunch of optional events that would have required one or the other.

mephistopheles

Postby mephistopheles » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:28 pm

LeDique wrote:Daily. You don't want to be the only prole in your Civ Pro class without a suit on.

don't listen to rinkrat.

you realize you'll be in professional school, right? your 1L year is a year of life long impressions. you really want to knock em dead.

Tekrul

Postby Tekrul » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:30 pm

Well, in any case, you should be "neither seen nor heard" so what you're wearing is entirely inconsequential, or are you not really a Milford man? :wink: btw how psyched are you for the new season on Netflix?

ph14

Postby ph14 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:33 pm

mephistopheles wrote:
LeDique wrote:Daily. You don't want to be the only prole in your Civ Pro class without a suit on.

don't listen to rinkrat.

you realize you'll be in professional school, right? your 1L year is a year of life long impressions. you really want to knock em dead.

Credited. My general strategy was to wear a suit Monday through Thursday, but switch it up and wear a tuxedo on Friday.

mephistopheles

Postby mephistopheles » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:35 pm

ph14 wrote:Credited. My general strategy was to wear a suit Monday through Thursday, but switch it up and wear a tuxedo on Friday.

wow, a better man than i has given advice. take note, OP.

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:36 pm

ph14 wrote:
mephistopheles wrote:

don't listen to rinkrat.

Credited. My general strategy was to wear a suit Monday through Thursday, but switch it up and wear a tuxedo on Friday.

This does vary by school. At some schools, they have Jeans Day on the first Friday of every month. If you donate to whatever student group is doing fundraising that month, your name goes on a list that is emailed out to professors. That way the professors know you're charitable and participating, instead of just being a slob.

mephistopheles

Postby mephistopheles » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:37 pm

LeDique wrote:
ph14 wrote:
mephistopheles wrote:

don't listen to rinkrat.

This does vary by school. At some schools, they have Jeans Day on the first Friday of every month. If you donate to whatever student group is doing fundraising that month, your name goes on a list that is emailed out to professors. That way the professors know you're charitable and participating, instead of just being a slob.

yeah, but wearing jeans is pretty prole and will out you as not a player.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:37 pm

ph14 wrote:
mephistopheles wrote:

don't listen to rinkrat.

Tuxedos are for after six oclock, you animal.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:41 pm

LeDique wrote:
ph14 wrote:
mephistopheles wrote:

don't listen to rinkrat.

This must be a west coast thing. Jeans would never fly back east. Hippies.

Tekrul

Postby Tekrul » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:45 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
ph14 wrote:
mephistopheles wrote:

don't listen to rinkrat.

Tuxedos are for after six oclock, you animal.

Seriously, what are we, farmers?

Edit: fixed the quote

AMilfordMan

Postby AMilfordMan » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:48 pm

Clearly I've got my red, white, and blue tux for class and already have my name plate installed front and center.

I was more interested in how often I'd have to dress down to my regular suit and tie.

AMilfordMan

Postby AMilfordMan » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:50 pm

Tekrul wrote:Well, in any case, you should be "neither seen nor heard" so what you're wearing is entirely inconsequential, or are you not really a Milford man? :wink: btw how psyched are you for the new season on Netflix?

I was actually going to cancel Netflix until realizing AD would be back soon. I would have made a huge mistake.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:51 pm

Are you going to 1L somewhere without any stores, or are your parents custom suit tailors?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:54 pm

IAFG wrote:Are you going to 1L somewhere without any stores, or are your parents custom suit tailors?

I moved from a place with no sales tax. I should have bought all my clothes at home, but I am impatient.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:55 pm

Nobody is factoring in the 1L Twenty.

Blessedassurance

Postby Blessedassurance » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:55 pm

AMilfordMan wrote:As a 1L, how often will I need to be in a suit? To be honest, I love dressing up but never get the chance now. I have a few suit/tie/shirt combos to work with, but I started to wonder how often I will even be in a suit my first year.

re: ties. the modern trend is shifting towards bow-ties. i would advise that you wear a regular tie on mondays and Thursdays, a bow-tie on tuesdays and Fridays and a skinny tie (if your stature permits) on Wednesdays. Stick to traditional, conservative colors but wear a purple tie once a while to remind your peers that you still keep your pimp hand strong.

business casual on Saturdays.

Blessedassurance

Postby Blessedassurance » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:57 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
IAFG wrote:Are you going to 1L somewhere without any stores, or are your parents custom suit tailors?

I moved from a place with no sales tax. I should have bought all my clothes at home, but I am impatient.

how was corvallis, bro?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:10 pm

Blessedassurance wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

how was corvallis, bro?

Fine if the only things you like to do are mountain biking and drinking.

(it's been a while. I am an old.)

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:15 pm

Tekrul wrote:Well, in any case, you should be "neither seen nor heard" so what you're wearing is entirely inconsequential, or are you not really a Milford man? :wink: btw how psyched are you for the new season on Netflix?

Tekrul wrote:Seriously, what are we, farmers?

You have excellent taste in television

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:22 pm

Cobretti wrote:

Yeah man, its so rare to find someone that likes and gets references to obscure TV shows like 30 Rock and Arrested Development.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:27 pm

LeDique wrote:
Cobretti wrote:

Yeah man, its so rare to find someone that likes and gets references to obscure TV shows like 30 Rock and Arrested Development.

Dear aptly named sir:
How does it being rare or not have anything to do with me appreciating his humor?

jwinaz

Postby jwinaz » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:44 pm

I hope this thread is mostly a joke. :P

I've visited William & Mary Law School and Library and so far have seen a very wide range of attire. I was hoping that many of the students in casual clothing (not even business casual) were actual law students (and not just UG or others studying in the library space). ... It'd be nice to be able to wear casual or just business casual rather than to have to dress up. Just personal taste I suppose. I find dress clothes uncomfortable.

Btw, is there a way that 0L's for a school can find out the dress culture of that school before classes start?

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:44 pm

True story: I keep a suit in my locker at all times, in case an event comes up and I need to be properly dressed. So, it's best to have several suits if you're going to keep one in your locker.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”