How to not get divorced? :)

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
nouseforaname123

Re: How to not get divorced? :)

Postby nouseforaname123 » Sun May 19, 2013 6:23 pm

plaintiff-appellee wrote:I entered law school at 30 with three children and just graduated. My advice is to set up weekly date nights when your time belongs only to your wife. The hardest thing for her may be the uncertainty of your schedule, i.e. not knowing when you will be home. Also, make sure the work you are doing in your first year is geared towards the final exams. Anything else is a waste of time. Good grades open doors.

Finally, I am not sure of the wisdom of working full-time while going to law school. I worked part-time (software development) for the first 5 months of school but quit after I realized that my former career had the potential to hamstring my new career. I am not familiar with part-time programs. How do you do a summer internship if you are working full-time?

I worked full time, went to class at night, made law review and graduated Coif (humble brag). Working and class can be done, but it requires a serious commitment.

I had to quit work after my third year in order to do my SA positions. My former employer was actually willing to accommodate 8 weeks off that summer, but I split between two big law firms for a total of 13 weeks, so I had to quit. Didn't work my final year of school, and we pulled the kids out of daycare.

I had at least one classmate who was able to do an SA position and return to his former employer in the fall. That classmate is going to join his summer firm after the bar.

Lumieres

Postby Lumieres » Mon May 20, 2013 7:16 am

How many hours per week did you have to dedicate to law review?

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon May 20, 2013 7:35 am

Lumieres wrote:How many hours per week did you have to dedicate to law review?

It probably varies by school. At mine, during 2L you had to do 2 cite-checks per semester, and I wanna say we were warned to spend 8-10 hours on each of those (although it never took me that long - but my cite checks were straightforward, some people's took longer if there were issues), and you had to write your note (which varies by how much work you want to put in). 3L, you could do either one credit or two credits per semester, which meant a total of either 50 or 100 hours (you had to keep track of your hours to get the credit). So one credit was fewer than 5 hours a week for a 14-week semester, except that it wasn't evenly distributed - it would be more like 8-10 hours every couple of weeks, that kind of thing. If you were on the board that was a bigger time commitment, of course.

(If you were asking nouseforaname specifically about their school, sorry to butt in!)

Lumieres

Postby Lumieres » Mon May 20, 2013 12:45 pm

Nope, not school-specific. More curious about people who worked full-time, law school part-time, and participated in law review.

I had thought the time commitment was greater for law review, but I guess the hardest part is just getting in! Thanks for the info!

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon May 20, 2013 12:56 pm

Lumieres wrote:Nope, not school-specific. More curious about people who worked full-time, law school part-time, and participated in law review.

I had thought the time commitment was greater for law review, but I guess the hardest part is just getting in! Thanks for the info!

Yeah, sorry, I was full-time at a school without a part-time program, so can't comment further. I have heard that some schools make you do things like hold office hours where you're in the LR office during a certain time (which makes NO sense to me, but my school just never did it that way), or make 2Ls do their cite checks together (in a certain place at a certain time), so that could be more complicated. But I only found LR a real time burden once I was on the board.

Mr.Throwback

Postby Mr.Throwback » Tue May 21, 2013 12:43 am

Delete your search history OP.

You're welcome.

walkthegoose

Should I stay in law school?

Postby walkthegoose » Wed May 29, 2013 12:30 pm

h

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”