American University Washington College of Law

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
treenapolits
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:40 pm

American University Washington College of Law

Postby treenapolits » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:27 pm

What do you think of American University's law school?
Campus, location and travel, housing, atmosphere, student body, professors, internships, city culture, to start with?

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: American University Washington College of Law

Postby rad lulz » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:41 pm

I wouldn't go even if WCL supplied me with virgins and cocaine every day I attended. The job prospects are just that bad.

lawschooltransparency.com

treenapolits
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:40 pm

Re: American University Washington College of Law

Postby treenapolits » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:44 pm

Is anyone able to address the question that I asked, rather than regurgitate the same statistics? If you attended the school, I am interested in your job prospects as a result; however I am already aware of the statistics. Thank you for your help.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: American University Washington College of Law

Postby rad lulz » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:50 pm

I'm interested in shooting myself in the face.

Should I use my silver gun, or my matte black one?

Should I just go with the one with the more ergonomic handle?

HALP

treenapolits
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:40 pm

Re: American University Washington College of Law

Postby treenapolits » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:58 pm

Any American University WCL alum/students out there?

User avatar
nickb285
Posts: 1500
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:25 pm

Re: American University Washington College of Law

Postby nickb285 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:26 pm

Posted this in the other thread that you are "no longer looking for a reply in," since you mentioned wanting a broader breakdown of outcomes from the school beyond a simple percentage or statistic.

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=american

Click "Job Characteristics." The important one is the one on the front page--less than 40% of last year's grads got long term, full time jobs in positions that require bar passage. If you want more of a breakdown, it's here:

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school= ... show=chars

Only 56.6% of grads had ANY kind of long term, full time job. That means barely over half of people who graduated last year could even find a job where they worked 40 hours a week. The rest, presumably, are completely unemployed or bartenders or doing some 20-30 hour/week job for a company that doesn't want to pay for benefits.

It's also worth looking at this:

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school= ... =employers

To earn enough to pay back what you'll owe American, you'll need to work in a firm of (generously) at least 50 lawyers. That means 10.6% of last year's grads have found jobs making enough to service sticker loan debt. Reread that number, it's not a typo. Assuming everyone pays sticker, 9 out of 10 people who go to American are unemployed or being crushed by debt that they are unable to service. Some who got scholarships might not belong to the latter group, but plenty of them do.

Given that, "atmosphere" and "culture" are entirely irrelevant.

treenapolits
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:40 pm

Re: American University Washington College of Law

Postby treenapolits » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:54 pm

Thanks! One could spend all day comparing the specifics of less than first-tier law school job statistics, it seems. The pie chart is very helpful.

utlaw2007
Posts: 783
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:49 pm

Re: American University Washington College of Law

Postby utlaw2007 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:28 pm

rad lulz wrote:I wouldn't go even if WCL supplied me with virgins and cocaine every day I attended. The job prospects are just that bad.

lawschooltransparency.com


This made me laugh out lout at my office. Too funny but very true.

bananapeanutbutter
Posts: 351
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:12 pm

Re: American University Washington College of Law

Postby bananapeanutbutter » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:57 pm

What use would acquiring job data from an individual student be when you have statistics? I'm sure the valedictorians fare alright, but that doesn't mean you'll be a valedictorian. I once had a shot with Derek Jeter. I'm still not a professional baseball player.

utlaw2007
Posts: 783
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:49 pm

Re: American University Washington College of Law

Postby utlaw2007 » Thu May 02, 2013 5:12 pm

bananapeanutbutter wrote:What use would acquiring job data from an individual student be when you have statistics? I'm sure the valedictorians fare alright, but that doesn't mean you'll be a valedictorian. I once had a shot with Derek Jeter. I'm still not a professional baseball player.


Very true. Inquiring about other's individual experiences is pointless. I have known a few people that have made it to the NFL. So does that mean that I have realistic chance at making the NFL because they told me their experiences? Of course not.

User avatar
shintopig
Posts: 125
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:09 pm

A Real Answer

Postby shintopig » Sat May 04, 2013 6:42 pm

treenapolits wrote:What do you think of American University's law school?
Campus, location and travel, housing, atmosphere, student body, professors, internships, city culture, to start with?

Any American University WCL alum/students out there?

Is anyone able to address the question that I asked, rather than regurgitate the same statistics?


Don't worry! Real answers have arrived! TLS is full of WCL-haters, take over people's posts to give their views and fail to do anything helpful. Plenty of us WCLers do fine. (Current 1.5L btw)

Campus: Its a nice building, but a bit cramped at times. New building being built & opening summer of 2015. The building currently is not on main campus, but about a mile down. Nice neighborhood, quiet and peaceful.

Location: DC - great city, great culture. Some people give it a bad rep but its a lovely place to be. One of the best reasons for AU is the location. 1L & 2L summer & semester jobs are the best here. Big law, all federal departments (including DOJ) and all sorts of public-law opportunities are here. During the semester its GT, GW and AU for the semester opportunities. Great place to get a government job if that's you're thing.

Travel: Not sure what this means. The whole city is connected by the Metro and by busses. Most people use one or both. AU WCL is connected by a shuttle to the nearest metro station. Overall not bad, could be better. New building is right on the metro stop. I often complain about the metro system being inferior to NYC, but overall its good. Terrible driving city, except late late at night, then its fun to drive on empty streets around the most important buildings & monuments in the country.

Atmosphere: not at all your "typical" law school experience. Students & profs are helpful, supportive, and just helpful. We all want each other to do well. People share notes, help out, some are in study groups. Whereas GT or GW may be more competitive; here its a nice supportive community (we do compete though).

People here have a passion for public law, human rights, government, immigrant rights, international everything and the like. Most people are not aiming for big law, so it makes sense that people make less when the graduate. But if you are interested in those issues; its a great group of people.

Profs: good. my 1L professors were all great. Some could be better I hear. Overall good though. All of them have some impressive experience.

City Culture: as I said before, DC is lovely. People go out on the weekends. There are great places to eat, see live-music, some great nightspots. There's always something happening; its the capital. Its an awesome city to explore. A bit small for NY & LA people, but I love it and most people find it quite pretty as well. Plenty of young professionals, its a fun time. The crime thing is there, farther east thoughand not a huge huge problem; never stops anyone from heading out.

Internships: mentioned before, but this is a great place to get those. If you want to work in the government; come here. DOJ, Military, DOC, DOS, DOHS, DOE, DOEd, DOD, FBI, EPA, variety of Congressional positions, huge amount of private positions. Its all here; students come to NY & DC; you wouldn't go anywhere else if you want to have these opportunities. AU also has a great network. My 1L position with the military is through an AU connection I made just by asking. Work hard to procure opportunities and you'll get something.

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: American University Washington College of Law

Postby stillwater » Sat May 04, 2013 7:31 pm

WCL is a festering TTTT.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: A Real Answer

Postby rad lulz » Sat May 04, 2013 7:41 pm

shintopig wrote:
treenapolits wrote:What do you think of American University's law school?
Campus, location and travel, housing, atmosphere, student body, professors, internships, city culture, to start with?

Any American University WCL alum/students out there?

Is anyone able to address the question that I asked, rather than regurgitate the same statistics?


Don't worry! Real answers have arrived! TLS is full of WCL-haters, take over people's posts to give their views and fail to do anything helpful. Plenty of us WCLers do fine. (Current 1.5L btw)

Campus: Its a nice building, but a bit cramped at times. New building being built & opening summer of 2015. The building currently is not on main campus, but about a mile down. Nice neighborhood, quiet and peaceful.

Location: DC - great city, great culture. Some people give it a bad rep but its a lovely place to be. One of the best reasons for AU is the location. 1L & 2L summer & semester jobs are the best here. Big law, all federal departments (including DOJ) and all sorts of public-law opportunities are here. During the semester its GT, GW and AU for the semester opportunities. Great place to get a government job if that's you're thing.

Travel: Not sure what this means. The whole city is connected by the Metro and by busses. Most people use one or both. AU WCL is connected by a shuttle to the nearest metro station. Overall not bad, could be better. New building is right on the metro stop. I often complain about the metro system being inferior to NYC, but overall its good. Terrible driving city, except late late at night, then its fun to drive on empty streets around the most important buildings & monuments in the country.

Atmosphere: not at all your "typical" law school experience. Students & profs are helpful, supportive, and just helpful. We all want each other to do well. People share notes, help out, some are in study groups. Whereas GT or GW may be more competitive; here its a nice supportive community (we do compete though).

People here have a passion for public law, human rights, government, immigrant rights, international everything and the like. Most people are not aiming for big law, so it makes sense that people make less when the graduate. But if you are interested in those issues; its a great group of people.

Profs: good. my 1L professors were all great. Some could be better I hear. Overall good though. All of them have some impressive experience.

City Culture: as I said before, DC is lovely. People go out on the weekends. There are great places to eat, see live-music, some great nightspots. There's always something happening; its the capital. Its an awesome city to explore. A bit small for NY & LA people, but I love it and most people find it quite pretty as well. Plenty of young professionals, its a fun time. The crime thing is there, farther east thoughand not a huge huge problem; never stops anyone from heading out.

Internships: mentioned before, but this is a great place to get those. If you want to work in the government; come here. DOJ, Military, DOC, DOS, DOHS, DOE, DOEd, DOD, FBI, EPA, variety of Congressional positions, huge amount of private positions. Its all here; students come to NY & DC; you wouldn't go anywhere else if you want to have these opportunities. AU also has a great network. My 1L position with the military is through an AU connection I made just by asking. Work hard to procure opportunities and you'll get something.

lol no mention of jobs

shock259
Posts: 1737
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:30 am

Re: A Real Answer

Postby shock259 » Sat May 04, 2013 10:18 pm

rad lulz wrote:lol no mention of jobs


No jobs to mention.

*rimshot*

User avatar
hephaestus
Posts: 2385
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:21 pm

Re: American University Washington College of Law

Postby hephaestus » Sat May 04, 2013 10:44 pm

Great place to get internships =\= great place to get jobs. If a school brags about the clinics/internships/location as a primary factor, it's a huge red flag.

User avatar
shintopig
Posts: 125
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Re: A Real Answer

Postby shintopig » Sun May 05, 2013 12:20 am

lol no mention of jobs


OP didn't ask about career prospects. He knows about the job issues as he posted multiple times, he wanted other info. Read the OP's post.

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: A Real Answer

Postby stillwater » Sun May 05, 2013 12:28 am

shintopig wrote:
lol no mention of jobs


OP didn't ask about career prospects. He knows about the job issues as he posted multiple times, he wanted other info. Read the OP's post.


aren't you a 0L dude? giving us the straight dope about this backdoor to biglaw, WCL?

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: A Real Answer

Postby rad lulz » Sun May 05, 2013 12:31 am

shintopig wrote:
lol no mention of jobs


OP didn't ask about career prospects. He knows about the job issues as he posted multiple times, he wanted other info. Read the OP's post.

Jobs are basically the only thing that matter. OP is a moran

User avatar
shintopig
Posts: 125
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Re: A Real Answer

Postby shintopig » Sun May 05, 2013 12:34 am

stillwater wrote:aren't you a 0L dude? giving us the straight dope about this backdoor to biglaw, WCL?


maybe read the posts in the thread first before you start asking questions which have already been answered

rad lulz wrote:Jobs are basically the only thing that matter. OP is a moran


If you're not going to answer the OPs questions, but instead hijack the thread by giving your "advice" then gtfo.
Last edited by shintopig on Sun May 05, 2013 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: A Real Answer

Postby stillwater » Sun May 05, 2013 12:35 am

shintopig wrote:
stillwater wrote:aren't you a 0L dude? giving us the straight dope about this backdoor to biglaw, WCL?


maybe read the posts in the thread first before you start asking questions which have already been answered


my bad, you just sound like one.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: A Real Answer

Postby rad lulz » Sun May 05, 2013 12:42 am

shintopig wrote:
stillwater wrote:aren't you a 0L dude? giving us the straight dope about this backdoor to biglaw, WCL?


maybe read the posts in the thread first before you start asking questions which have already been answered

rad lulz wrote:Jobs are basically the only thing that matter. OP is a moran


If you're not going to answer the OPs questions, but instead hijack the thread by giving your "advice" then gtfo.

I already have my advice you worthless illiterate.

Pope Francis
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:41 pm

Re: American University Washington College of Law

Postby Pope Francis » Sun May 05, 2013 1:18 am

I think OP realizes that the job prospects are horrible and that, in the eyes of most, WCL is a worthless institution. But why do you all need to fight him on it. Just let people who can discuss the school discuss the school. Why waste your time hating on it, and those defending it?

User avatar
mindarmed
Posts: 959
Joined: Sun May 27, 2012 2:16 pm

Re: American University Washington College of Law

Postby mindarmed » Sun May 05, 2013 1:24 am

Why do people still poast on TLS about schools like this? OP, if you're attending any school in DC (even GeorgeTTTown) your prospects of legal employment are not good

User avatar
IrwinM.Fletcher
Posts: 1195
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:55 pm

Re: A Real Answer

Postby IrwinM.Fletcher » Sun May 05, 2013 6:08 am

shintopig wrote:Internships: mentioned before, but this is a great place to get those. If you want to work in the government; come here. DOJ, Military, DOC, DOS, DOHS, DOE, DOEd, DOD, FBI, EPA, variety of Congressional positions, huge amount of private positions. Its all here; students come to NY & DC; you wouldn't go anywhere else if you want to have these opportunities. AU also has a great network. My 1L position with the military is through an AU connection I made just by asking. Work hard to procure opportunities and you'll get something.

I love when people brag about unpaid internships as if it's an accomplishment.

User avatar
sinfiery
Posts: 3308
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:55 am

Re: American University Washington College of Law

Postby sinfiery » Sun May 05, 2013 7:11 am

Pope Francis wrote:I think OP realizes that the job prospects are horrible and that, in the eyes of most, WCL is a worthless institution. But why do you all need to fight him on it. Just let people who can discuss the school discuss the school. Why waste your time hating on it, and those defending it?

Because it's rather hard to stand by and watch someone inquire about information that leads one to believe they might possibly make a decision that will very very very likely financially destroy the next 20-50 years of their lives.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: anrf1225, lwbe, White Dwarf and 3 guests