Camus and The Stranger

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Kafkaesquire

Camus and The Stranger

Postby Kafkaesquire » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:54 pm

I just finished The Stranger for the first time. Has anyone else read the story? Do you have any comments on how it portrays society and the law?

Here, a fundamental quote shows that the prosecutor damns the criminal to death, not because of his crime, but because of his nonconformity to society:

"He stated that I had no place in a society whose fundamental rules I ignored and that I could not appeal to the same human heart whose elementary response I knew nothing of. […] 'For if in the course of what has been a long career I have had occasion to call for the death penalty, never as strong as today have I felt this painful duty made easier, lighter, clearer by the certain knowledge of a sacred imperative and by the horror I feel when I look into a man’s face and all I see is a monster.'"

The criminal does not see the difference in showing remorse and not showing remorse for his crime, because either way he should be judged just as guilty. However, society looks upon his remorselessness as a crime in its own right worthy of punishment.

sinfiery

Re: Camus and The Stranger

Postby sinfiery » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:00 pm

What you think law school will be like:
Kafkaesquire wrote:
The criminal does not ee the difference in showing remorse and not showing remorse for his crime, because either way he should be judged just as guilty. However, society looks upon his remorselessness as a crime in its own right worthy of punishment.

What law school is really like:
Kafkaesquire wrote:
The criminal does not ee the difference in showing remorse and not showing remorse for his crime, because either way he should be judged just as guilty. However, society looks upon his remorselessness as a crime in its own right worthy of punishment.

*: I dunno shit, I'm just a 0L

Kafkaesquire

Postby Kafkaesquire » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:05 pm

sinfiery wrote:What you think law school will be like:
Kafkaesquire wrote:

Kafkaesquire wrote:

This has nothing to do with what I expect law school will be like. This is a question of opinion that just happens to involve the law, and so I asked what I believed was an appropriate community, both in interest and intelligence.

This is not meant to be anything more than an abstract discussion of the subject matter. I really don't give two shits about how inherently pertinent this is to law school or the legal profession.

P.S. Who the hell taught you to follow an endnote with a fucking colon?

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:19 pm

Kafkaesquire wrote:
Kafkaesquire wrote:

Kafkaesquire wrote:

This has nothing to do with what I expect law school will be like. This is a question of opinion that just happens to involve the law, and so I asked what I believed was an appropriate community, both in interest and intelligence.

This is not meant to be anything more than an abstract discussion of the subject matter. I really don't give two shits about how inherently pertinent this is to law school or the legal profession.

I like how civil your response was about the substance of his response, but the gloves came off when he crossed the line with that fucking colon

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:23 pm

Cobretti wrote:
Kafkaesquire wrote:
Kafkaesquire wrote:

Kafkaesquire wrote:

I like how civil your response was about the substance of his response, but the gloves came off when he crossed the line with that fucking colon

this thread is dumb. law school is a farce. the stranger is a serious work of literature; everything in law school lacks gravitas and depth.

Balthy

Postby Balthy » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:24 pm

Cobretti wrote:
Kafkaesquire wrote:
Kafkaesquire wrote:

Kafkaesquire wrote:

LOL.

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:04 am

Cobretti wrote:
Kafkaesquire wrote:
Kafkaesquire wrote:

Kafkaesquire wrote:

Man's got to have a code.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:41 am

Touche.

sarahmargie

Postby sarahmargie » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:02 am

I felt like Mersault's (sp?) problem was that he had no religion. But I think Camus's point was that his lack of religion was not a problem. I think that quote you posted is about the value of religion in people's lives, if there is any. France then was pretty Catholic, and I imagine Camus didn't like the Catholic focus on guilt.
Maybe you should also read "In the Penal Colony."
I like reading Camus, but his philosophy is too atheist for me.

On another note, why are there so many doucheclowns on this message board? What could be the purpose of piping in just to say you have nothing relevant to say?

Yukos

Postby Yukos » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:09 am

Ask a Law Student is by far the weirdest subforum on TLS, including the Lounge. Where do all these 0Ls wanting to discuss bizarre philosophy of law/law school questions come from?

pupshaw

Postby pupshaw » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:20 am

Kafkaesquire wrote:

Kafkaesquire wrote:

Actually OP's quote would have been right at home in my Crim class.

whereskyle

Postby whereskyle » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:49 am

The stranger's lack of remorse gives the appearance that he is not the type of person, who can be expected to give credence to the rule of law in the future, so they kill him.

Pertinent legal questions: the attitude of a society toward incarceration and whether or not incarceration serves as rehabilitation and if so to what degree.

My own take: we have a lot of progress to make on pertinent legal question above.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:11 pm

Yukos wrote:Ask a Law Student is by far the weirdest subforum on TLS, including the Lounge. Where do all these 0Ls wanting to discuss bizarre philosophy of law/law school questions come from?

same as the kids who raise their hands during admitted students week

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:17 pm

sarahmargie wrote:I felt like Mersault's (sp?) problem was that he had no religion. But I think Camus's point was that his lack of religion was not a problem. I think that quote you posted is about the value of religion in people's lives, if there is any. France then was pretty Catholic, and I imagine Camus didn't like the Catholic focus on guilt.

On another note, why are there so many doucheclowns on this message board? What could be the purpose of piping in just to say you have nothing relevant to say?

awwwwwww, is that your opinion?

sarahmargie

Postby sarahmargie » Wed May 01, 2013 7:22 pm

stillwater wrote:
sarahmargie wrote:I felt like Mersault's (sp?) problem was that he had no religion. But I think Camus's point was that his lack of religion was not a problem. I think that quote you posted is about the value of religion in people's lives, if there is any. France then was pretty Catholic, and I imagine Camus didn't like the Catholic focus on guilt.

awwwwwww, is that your opinion?

You hurt my feelings. I feel bad about myself.

apollo2015

Postby apollo2015 » Thu May 02, 2013 12:24 am

cerealdan wrote:
Kafkaesquire wrote:

Kafkaesquire wrote:

Actually OP's quote would have been right at home in my Crim class.

Yeah, my Crim Law class came to mind too.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”