Do Business Schools Hand Out Scholarships Like Law Schools?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Aqualibrium

Do Business Schools Hand Out Scholarships Like Law Schools?

Postby Aqualibrium » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:40 pm

Just wondering if anyone here would know anything about this. I'm toying with the idea of getting an MBA, but I'm very weary of taking on 100k of debt to do it. I managed to grab full rides for both undergrad and law school, so that makes it even harder for me to embrace taking on six figure debt at this point. My firm will pay up to I think 80k for an approved grad program, but you basically have to sign your life away for the next 10 years...

Just wondering if I could possibly get a substantial scholarship from a top 25 B School...

Any experience with applying, scholarships, etc... would be much appreciated.

JamMasterJ

Re: Do Business Schools Hand Out Scholarships Like Law Schools?

Postby JamMasterJ » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:45 pm

Not sure about overall numbers but NYU gives 42 full rides and Columbia gives 25

cameronfrye

Postby cameronfrye » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:45 pm

I don't have the answer you want, but why do you want to get the mba?

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:57 pm

cameronfrye wrote:I don't have the answer you want, but why do you want to get the mba?

Right now I'm just trying to develop a plan for the next 3-5 years. I want to make myself as marketable and valuable as possible, and an MBA is just one of the things I've thought about to achieve that goal. On top of that, I've noticed that most of the C level folks at my firm have one thing in common: an elite MBA. I've been here long enough to see those people continually advance and continually bring in other people with elite MBA's...to the exclusion of people who some might consider to be stronger attorneys. I've also noticed the networking/business advantage that comes with going to a top school. I never placed much emphasis on that, so for college and law school I really only focused on being in a place where I was comfortable. I've been successful despite not having any big names or mega successful alums to help me out, but I also realize the advantage that comes with having those things.
Last edited by Aqualibrium on Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:58 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:Not sure about overall numbers but NYU gives 42 full rides and Columbia gives 25

Thanks.

Postby 09042014 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:00 am

Aqualibrium wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:Not sure about overall numbers but NYU gives 42 full rides and Columbia gives 25

Thanks.

Stern is TTT though.

Yukos

Postby Yukos » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:09 am

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”