Real Estate Agent vs. Attorney - Career Choice ? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
AJFAJF

New

Real Estate Agent vs. Attorney - Career Choice ?

Post by AJFAJF » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:45 pm

Hey guys. 0L here with an interest in law, government and politics, studying for the LSAT, have a 3.7 GPA and my prospects could be decent for law school if I nail the LSAT. None the less everybody has told me this is a terrible decision and I should pursue business or something else all together. Problem is I am terrible at math and fields like finance, accounting, engineering etc just wouldn't be realistic with my math phobias. I thought to myself... If a lot of these entry level Attorneys are making 19-20 dollars an hour (which I've seen a fews ads in the Philadelphia area for this) why not just bag it and become a Real Estate Agent. Spend 2 months, get my license and in 3 years of time that it would take to get my law degree I would have built my business up and have zero debt. As opposed to making 40k per year with 150k of debt. By the same token I've heard that Real Estate is truly miserable as well.... Just can't win.

banana$$stand

New

Re: Real Estate Agent vs. Attorney - Career Choice ?

Post by banana$$stand » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:48 pm

AJFAJF wrote:Hey guys. 0L here with an interest in law, government and politics, studying for the LSAT, have a 3.7 GPA and my prospects could be decent for law school if I nail the LSAT. None the less everybody has told me this is a terrible decision and I should pursue business or something else all together. Problem is I am terrible at math and fields like finance, accounting, engineering etc just wouldn't be realistic with my math phobias. I thought to myself... If a lot of these entry level Attorneys are making 19-20 dollars an hour (which I've seen a fews ads in the Philadelphia area for this) why not just bag it and become a Real Estate Agent. Spend 2 months, get my license and in 3 years of time that it would take to get my law degree I would have built my business up and have zero debt. As opposed to making 40k per year with 150k of debt. By the same token I've heard that Real Estate is truly miserable as well.... Just can't win.

Why are these your only two options?

AJFAJF

New

Post by AJFAJF » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:49 pm

My undergrad is in Paralegal Studies but as a male I am insecure in being a "paralegal." I really just picked it fully expecting to go to law school. But then the bubble bursted.

AJFAJF

New

Post by AJFAJF » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:53 pm

Maybe by 2017 when I'd be finishing up the market will have rebounded?

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:56 pm

I dunno kid. You seems to be looking for a sure thing. There are no sure things. Maybe becoming a lawyer will pay off, maybe it won't. Same for real estate.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TheZoid

Bronze

Post by TheZoid » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:58 pm

AJFAJF wrote:Maybe by 2017 when I'd be finishing up the market will have rebounded?
It's worth keeping in mind that if your goal is biglaw, it doesn't matter where the market is when you graduate, but rather in the fall before/during your 2L year, because that's when firms interview.

AJFAJF

New

Post by AJFAJF » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:02 pm

IAFG wrote:I dunno kid. You seems to be looking for a sure thing. There are no sure things. Maybe becoming a lawyer will pay off, maybe it won't. Same for real estate.
Difference is one costs nothing to try and the other costs 3 years of grueling work and over 100k of debt.

banana$$stand

New

Post by banana$$stand » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:03 pm

IAFG wrote:I dunno kid. You seems to be looking for a sure thing. There are no sure things. Maybe becoming a lawyer will pay off, maybe it won't. Same for real estate.
Yeah, agreed. If you want a guaranteed paycheck go into local government...4 realz

AJFAJF

New

Post by AJFAJF » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:08 pm

banana$$stand wrote:
Yeah, agreed. If you want a guaranteed paycheck go into local government...4 realz

Lol, I've often thought, if it doesn't work out I will simply kill myself. BAM. Problem solved.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BeenDidThat

Silver

Post by BeenDidThat » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:40 am

AJFAJF wrote:My undergrad is in Paralegal Studies but as a male I am insecure in being a "paralegal." I really just picked it fully expecting to go to law school. But then the bubble bursted.
That insecurity is stupid. If someone has a problem with you being an employed paralegal (assuming you can get a job being a paralegal), they really aren't the type of person you want to associate with. Moreover, working as a paralegal for a bit might give you a better idea of exactly what you want to do. Just a thought.

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:42 am

Since when do schools let people major in Paralegal Studies? I had no idea that was a thing.

unlicensedpotato

Silver

Post by unlicensedpotato » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:45 am

Although OP can't change this now, in the realm of general advice, no one should major in pre-law/paralegal studies/attorney in training/little junior lawyer's league.

To OP: I say give real estate a try and see if you like it and can be successful at it (whatever that means). A lot of people at my undergrad obtained their real estate license during college and started renting properties, so you can try it right away. If things don't work out, you can revisit the possibility of law school. Or, as above poster said, put that paralegal studies degree to some use and try being a paralegal. In your case, it would be a easy/paid way to get exposure to the legal world, and could put you in a position where you have at least one firm that you know is interested in you, reducing the risk of law school.

Tekrul

Bronze

Post by Tekrul » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:58 pm

AJFAJF wrote:
banana$$stand wrote:

Lol, I've often thought, if it doesn't work out I will simply kill myself. BAM. Problem solved.
Nice return for the investment your parents put in you. You make me angry, kid.

mephistopheles

Gold

Post by mephistopheles » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:03 pm

Tekrul wrote:
AJFAJF wrote:
banana$$stand wrote:

Nice return for the investment your parents put in you. You make me angry, kid.

give me a break.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”