My Prospects by 2017?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
AJFAJF

My Prospects by 2017?

Postby AJFAJF » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:53 am

Hello everyone. I am considering applying for Law School for Fall 2014. I have about a year left of UG. Currently have a 3.7 and I'm studying for the LSAT. (Paralegal Studies Major) I will say that I have been consistently discouraged in this choice of career path because of the high debt and poor job prospects/low job satisfaction. I have enjoyed my time in UG doing Paralegal Studies. I have flirted with the idea of changing majors and doing Finance just for the job security but I am terrible at Math. (Got a 70 percent in Basic Algebra) <- Finance probably not going to work lol.

So the I beg the question, by 2017 how do you think the market will be looking? BTW I've considered scrapping the entire idea and just becoming a Real Estate Agent... No debt, relatively low stress, showing houses and being your own boss. But then I've heard that business is too feast or famine and extremely hard to get off the ground running.

I live in the Philadelphia region for what it's worth. Any thoughts on all of this?

Tim0thy222

Re: My Prospects by 2017?

Postby Tim0thy222 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:18 am

http://begthequestion.info/

Also, I didn't realize you could get a 4 year degree in paralegal studies. Have you thought about being a paralegal for a couple years to get an idea of what a law firm is like and if law is right for you?

It seems like you are dealing with 2 different questions here. One is whether or not you want to be a lawyer, and the other is whether or not it's a safe path. Am I reading that right?

AJFAJF

Postby AJFAJF » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:28 am

To be honest with you when I first chose the Paralegal route I was in a situation where I needed to gain employment relatively quickly into a field. (I'm 26) At the time I was engaged and my girl was on me about getting something started for myself career wise as I was basically an alcoholic party ridden buffoon. Never the less as I eclipsed my associates in paralegal the engagement ended and I went to A.A. lol... So I have about a year sober from the sauce and have been getting my life in order. I cannot find employment as a paralegal with my 2 year degree so I figured I'd just finish my bachelors in that major as the credits were all easily transferrable and then attend law school due to the fact that I am now living back at home with the parents and under no time constraints for gainful employment.

Kafkaesquire

Postby Kafkaesquire » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:26 pm

Tim0thy222 wrote:http://begthequestion.info/

The phrase is often used as a colloquialism nowadays. Use the context to decide whether its use is formal or informal, appropriate or inappropriate.

utlaw2007

Postby utlaw2007 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:01 pm

AJFAJF wrote:To be honest with you when I first chose the Paralegal route I was in a situation where I needed to gain employment relatively quickly into a field. (I'm 26) At the time I was engaged and my girl was on me about getting something started for myself career wise as I was basically an alcoholic party ridden buffoon. Never the less as I eclipsed my associates in paralegal the engagement ended and I went to A.A. lol... So I have about a year sober from the sauce and have been getting my life in order. I cannot find employment as a paralegal with my 2 year degree so I figured I'd just finish my bachelors in that major as the credits were all easily transferrable and then attend law school due to the fact that I am now living back at home with the parents and under no time constraints for gainful employment.

I hate to sound elitist, but this is very important. Do you have a bachelors degree from a four year university? I also was not aware that one could major in paralegal studies as an undergrad major. So that's why I'm asking the question. The reason why that is important is because if you did not obtain a bachelors from a four year university, I don't believe you would eligible to attend most law schools. I could be wrong. But that is something you need to look into.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”