Shouldn't one become jaded before going to law school?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
Kafkaesquire
Posts: 180
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:55 pm

Shouldn't one become jaded before going to law school?

Postby Kafkaesquire » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:11 pm

I think it is unwise to have an idealistic, enchanted view of the world before going to law school.

When people say they want to go to law school to save the world, or make a difference, or fight for the little guy, or protect people's rights, even, I recommend that they get out of their shell and take a look at the darker side of things before going to law school.

Is there anyone who would say otherwise?

User avatar
nickb285
Posts: 1500
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:25 pm

Re: Shouldn't one become jaded before going to law school?

Postby nickb285 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:22 pm

Cool

User avatar
Kafkaesquire
Posts: 180
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:55 pm

Re: Shouldn't one become jaded before going to law school?

Postby Kafkaesquire » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:27 pm

nickb285 wrote:Cool


Shut up nickb285. You would never understand!

Blowing off steam from work...

User avatar
pupshaw
Posts: 504
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:08 pm

Re: Shouldn't one become jaded before going to law school?

Postby pupshaw » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:31 pm

Great thread.

User avatar
Kafkaesquire
Posts: 180
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:55 pm

Re: Shouldn't one become jaded before going to law school?

Postby Kafkaesquire » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:37 pm

Fuck it, then. I don't want to waste anybody's time. An admin should delete it.

User avatar
nickb285
Posts: 1500
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:25 pm

Re: Shouldn't one become jaded before going to law school?

Postby nickb285 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:08 pm

Maybe you should have become jaded before making a thread.

User avatar
Flash
Posts: 433
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:24 pm

Re: Shouldn't one become jaded before going to law school?

Postby Flash » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:16 pm

Jaded cynicism should be taught in elementary school. Kids need to grow up learning that most of their life will be wasted working a shit job that they hate.

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: Shouldn't one become jaded before going to law school?

Postby Br3v » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:47 pm

Kafkaesquire wrote:Fuck it, then. I don't want to waste anybody's time. An admin should delete it.


Now that you have come to terms with the darker side of how the interent works, we may answer your question.

cubswin
Posts: 618
Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 4:40 pm

Re: Shouldn't one become jaded before going to law school?

Postby cubswin » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:06 pm

But the market for international human rights lawyers is booming.

El Principe
Posts: 551
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:10 am

Re: Shouldn't one become jaded before going to law school?

Postby El Principe » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:20 pm

nickb285 wrote:Maybe you should have become jaded before making a thread.


179 :lol:

born4law
Posts: 109
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:56 am

Re: Shouldn't one become jaded before going to law school?

Postby born4law » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:50 pm

Kafkaesquire wrote:I think it is unwise to have an idealistic, enchanted view of the world before going to law school.

When people say they want to go to law school to save the world, or make a difference, or fight for the little guy, or protect people's rights, even, I recommend that they get out of their shell and take a look at the darker side of things before going to law school.

Is there anyone who would say otherwise?


Absolutely agree. Ignore the haters. You're spot-on about this. For the majority of people, law school is not easy, too expensive, and likely not a certain path to "good" employment (whatever a person might define "good" as).

Getting as jaded as possible before starting law school is highly recommended. That way, should you decide to attend, you know you're doing so with all the facts on the table, with the grimmest of the grim and the brightest of the bright, all laid out before you. If you decide on going to law school despite your awareness of how shitty it can be, you're either an idiot for doing something you won't enjoy, or very smart for doing something you're certain to be OK with.

Not feeling a little jaded before starting is naive at this point. For people to expect someone to just enter a whole life's profession on a whim without serious doubts/reservations is ludicrous. It's always risk/reward and law school is no different.

User avatar
Tekrul
Posts: 493
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:17 pm

Re: Shouldn't one become jaded before going to law school?

Postby Tekrul » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:56 pm

In HS, I wanted to be a public defender like the Dad in The O.C. (yea I watched the o.c. wanna fight about it? :D )

In UG, I wanted to get into international law and play a role in humanitarian issues worldwide. Then I wanted to learn N.Korean legal systems to be on the frontlines world peace and arbitration. Then I wanted to be a philosophy of law professor.

In LS, I will take no classes that don't have the words Corporations, M&A, $$$101, or Making it Rain in the course description.

Image
Image

User avatar
Kafkaesquire
Posts: 180
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:55 pm

Re: Shouldn't one become jaded before going to law school?

Postby Kafkaesquire » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:58 pm

born4law wrote:
Kafkaesquire wrote:I think it is unwise to have an idealistic, enchanted view of the world before going to law school.

When people say they want to go to law school to save the world, or make a difference, or fight for the little guy, or protect people's rights, even, I recommend that they get out of their shell and take a look at the darker side of things before going to law school.

Is there anyone who would say otherwise?


Absolutely agree. Ignore the haters. You're spot-on about this. For the majority of people, law school is not easy, too expensive, and likely not a certain path to "good" employment (whatever a person might define "good" as).

Getting as jaded as possible before starting law school is highly recommended. That way, should you decide to attend, you know you're doing so with all the facts on the table, with the grimmest of the grim and the brightest of the bright, all laid out before you. If you decide on going to law school despite your awareness of how shitty it can be, you're either an idiot for doing something you won't enjoy, or very smart for doing something you're certain to be OK with.

Not feeling a little jaded before starting is naive at this point. For people to expect someone to just enter a whole life's profession on a whim without serious doubts/reservations is ludicrous. It's always risk/reward and law school is no different.


Well, jaded and informed are not synonyms. I feel that what I said earlier is easily debatable, and I am not even sure about it myself.

I mean, on one hand, you have to have a reason for going to law school other than the money, assuming that no one would be stupid enough to go to law school with money being the only interest. So you have to have some sort of higher ideal, right?

I'm not saying that it's easy to just become a pessimistic person who has no ideals about the world of law, but I would assume that, not for life, necessarily, but for this profession, that would be the most straightforward route.

dixiecupdrinking
Posts: 3139
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:39 pm

Re: Shouldn't one become jaded before going to law school?

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:09 pm

On the one hand, being a cynical shell of a human being is probably useful if you're going to join the majority of the profession who are miserable, make decisions based on money and prestige, and/or take on a ton of debt they can't ever pay off.

On the other hand, it seems to me that the handful of people who are truly successful in the law—that is, happy, fulfilled, and at least relatively financially secure—have specific but obtainable goals that they never compromise, remain optimistic about their chances of achieving them, and don't pay any attention to the crowds of naysayers.

Chances are you're doomed to being in the former group, so you might as well get jaded and depressed now, but if you're the special snowflake who can pull off the second, then stick to your ideals. Don't know which group you're in? If you post on TLS (because this place is a cesspool of negativity, albeit informed negativity) and/or aren't going to Yale, it's probably the first one.

User avatar
Kafkaesquire
Posts: 180
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:55 pm

Re: Shouldn't one become jaded before going to law school?

Postby Kafkaesquire » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:11 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:On the one hand, being a cynical shell of a human being is probably useful if you're going to join the majority of the profession who are miserable, make decisions based on money and prestige, and/or take on a ton of debt they can't ever pay off.

On the other hand, it seems to me that the handful of people who are truly successful in the law—that is, happy, fulfilled, and at least relatively financially secure—have specific but obtainable goals that they never compromise, remain optimistic about their chances of achieving them, and don't pay any attention to the crowds of naysayers.

Chances are you're doomed to being in the former group, so you might as well get jaded and depressed now, but if you're the special snowflake who can pull off the second, then stick to your ideals. Don't know which group you're in? If you post on TLS (because this place is a cesspool of negativity, albeit informed negativity) and/or aren't going to Yale, it's probably the first one.


Lol...

User avatar
KD35
Posts: 948
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:30 am

Re: Shouldn't one become jaded before going to law school?

Postby KD35 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:40 pm

I feel like those students who aren't jaded are the ones who are more apt to pay full sticker at non T-14 schools...so they are a crucial part of the system as well.

User avatar
jingosaur
Posts: 2210
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:33 am

Re: Shouldn't one become jaded before going to law school?

Postby jingosaur » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:58 pm

cubswin wrote:But the market for international human rights lawyers is booming.



Only if you practice in Space.

User avatar
Kafkaesquire
Posts: 180
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:55 pm

Re: Shouldn't one become jaded before going to law school?

Postby Kafkaesquire » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:18 pm

I wonder...

...if one were truly jaded, he/she would have enough sense not to go to law school at all.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: j431e782 and 6 guests