Fordham PT Student Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Huluba

Fordham PT Student Taking Questions

Postby Huluba » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:43 pm

3LE (2L)

Bronx Bum

Re: Fordham PT Student Taking Questions

Postby Bronx Bum » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:50 pm

Do you have biglaw?

30-Something

Postby 30-Something » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:38 pm

Thanks for taking questions! I have a few... so, just stop answering when you get bored. :)

-How difficult is the work/school balance? Is it much more taxing, in your opinion, than just attending full time, without working?
-How does the financial aid office view the PT student? Meaning, are PT students eligible for any need based aid?
-From your experience, how many of the evening students seem to be on a lucrative career track? Does is seem to be more difficult for the evening students to find work vs. the FT students?
-Is it difficult to participate in journals/clinics as an evening student?
-What is your impression of the overall vibe of the evening group?

Huluba

Postby Huluba » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:43 pm

Bronx Bum wrote:Do you have biglaw?

Yup.

Huluba

Postby Huluba » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:51 pm

30-Something wrote:Thanks for taking questions! I have a few... so, just stop answering when you get bored. :)

-How difficult is the work/school balance? Is it much more taxing, in your opinion, than just attending full time, without working?
-How does the financial aid office view the PT student? Meaning, are PT students eligible for any need based aid?
-From your experience, how many of the evening students seem to be on a lucrative career track? Does is seem to be more difficult for the evening students to find work vs. the FT students?
-Is it difficult to participate in journals/clinics as an evening student?
-What is your impression of the overall vibe of the evening group?

1. If you are working full-time I think it is a lot more taxing. Some PT students don't work and so combine that with less courses its obviously easier. Having done both, (FT without working and PT with working, I transferred back and forth between divisions) I would say FT is much much less taxing.

2. I was lucky enough to get almost a full ride and so I did not take out loans. I would assume that need-based aid is the same as for FT students but its just an assumption.

3. From my experience, I know more PT students that have biglaw jobs v. FT students. Employers seem to go further down in the class (top 33% v. top 20% or so for FT students) if you have decent work experience during the day. If you are PT and not working, I don't think there is much difference between FT and PT in employers eyes, although you should have some decent reason why you werent FT.

4. Depends on your day job. PT students can participate in the same things as FT students as long as they have the time. I work and I am on a journal and am doing a clinic. Time consuming but if you want it you can do it.

5. The evening group seems older in a way. I guess more mature. More busy with lives outside school. Depending on what you are looking for that can be a positive or a negative.

Huluba

Postby Huluba » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:53 am

Bumping this in case any Fordham pt's have questions about bidding/oci.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”