Is there an age cutoff for biglaw?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
eric922

Is there an age cutoff for biglaw?

Postby eric922 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:43 pm

Due to switching majors a couple of times and needing to raise my GPA, I've decided to stay on in undergrad for another year. The common wisdom on TLS seems to be that delaying law school by year is a good thing if it gets you into a better school, but I'm wondering if I will be too old for biglaw by the time I get out? If I go by my current plan I'll be 27 when I start law school and 30 when I graduate. I don't necessary mind that, but I am curious know if that will be considered "too old" by the big firms.

IAFG

Re: Is there an age cutoff for biglaw?

Postby IAFG » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:47 pm

LOL I thought you were gonna be 50 or something. If there's a cutoff you're nowhere near it.

wisdom

Postby wisdom » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:13 pm

No this is fine and in some cases might be preferable. Firms would rather have someone more mature and who wants the money and is willing to make the necessary sacrifices. If anything, they're more apprehensive about the straight from college guy/girl who might be going and getting sloppy on the weekends.

Lacepiece23

Postby Lacepiece23 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:53 pm

wisdom wrote:No this is fine and in some cases might be preferable. Firms would rather have someone more mature and who wants the money and is willing to make the necessary sacrifices. If anything, they're more apprehensive about the straight from college guy/girl who might be going and getting sloppy on the weekends.

I always thought it was the inverse, that they would want the straight from college or younger person because presumably they have no commitments or family and can work whenever jw. I really have no idea.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:16 am

Lacepiece23 wrote:
wisdom wrote:No this is fine and in some cases might be preferable. Firms would rather have someone more mature and who wants the money and is willing to make the necessary sacrifices. If anything, they're more apprehensive about the straight from college guy/girl who might be going and getting sloppy on the weekends.

I always thought it was the inverse, that they would want the straight from college or younger person because presumably they have no commitments or family and can work whenever jw. I really have no idea.

Depends on the firm. Both views exist. (And I doubt either is a firm rule, more like an assumption can be overcome.)

ExBiglawAssociate

Postby ExBiglawAssociate » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:24 am

The only people who think 30 is "old" are K-JD 24 year olds trying to pass off their own immaturity as an advantage.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:53 am

Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote:The only people who think 30 is "old" are K-JD 24 year olds trying to pass off their own immaturity as an advantage.

+1

Postby 09042014 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:58 am

Lacepiece23 wrote:

Never bet against a man with a wife and children who waste all his money.

If I ran a firm I'd have this checklist (YES I KNOW THIS IS ILLEGAL THIS A JOKE):

Is your student loan balance below 150k: No? DING
Do you have a wife: No? DING
Do you have kids (or have a Catholic wife): No? DING
Does Lisa need braces? No? DING
Does your wife know where Nordstroms is: No? I'll make her a 20 dollar gift card

bizzybone1313

Postby bizzybone1313 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:22 am

Desert Fox wrote:
Lacepiece23 wrote:

If I ran a firm I'd have this checklist (YES I KNOW THIS IS ILLEGAL THIS A JOKE):

Does your wife know where Nordstroms is: No? I'll make her a 20 dollar gift card

This is pretty funny and actually fairly accurate. I don't get the whole Catholic wife thing. Can you explain that?

Postby 09042014 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:23 am

bizzybone1313 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Lacepiece23 wrote:

This is pretty funny and actually fairly accurate. I don't get the whole Catholic wife thing. Can you explain that?

She'll be pregnant early and often.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:48 am

Desert Fox wrote:
Lacepiece23 wrote:

Backseat Mod:
You have been warned for humor. Please return to telling people to retake.

guano

Postby guano » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:58 am

Desert Fox wrote:
Lacepiece23 wrote:

I'll be in like flynn

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:36 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Lacepiece23 wrote:

It's a fine balance. Single strivers have no reason to ever leave the office, family people do... your checklist would ensure financial shackles, but come with a lot of out-of-the-office time pressure.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:43 pm

thesealocust wrote:
It's a fine balance. Single strivers have no reason to ever leave the office, family people do... your checklist would ensure financial shackles, but come with a lot of out-of-the-office time pressure.

You can bill until 4 a.m. from bed with an infant under your arm.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:56 pm

thesealocust wrote:
Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote:The only people who think 30 is "old" are K-JD 24 year olds trying to pass off their own immaturity as an advantage.

+1

...so this isn't convincing?

Damn

lukertin

Postby lukertin » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:03 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:This is pretty funny and actually fairly accurate. I don't get the whole Catholic wife thing. Can you explain that?

He could have replaced "Catholic" with "Mormon" and it would have been equally applicable.

Teflon_Don

Postby Teflon_Don » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:06 pm

You sound like an old, decaying 30 year old trying to justify their age

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:23 pm

Teflon_Don wrote:

You sound like an old, decaying 30 year old trying to justify their age

GET OFF MY LAWN

Also as someone who will be graduating at 32, partners I've reached out to have said it would likely be an advantage.

lsatkid007

Postby lsatkid007 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:01 pm

Is 38 to 40 to old????

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:54 pm

Biglaw firms only want chill dudes they can count on to be gettin sloppy on the wknds with the partners.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”