Networking

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
sf_39

Networking

Postby sf_39 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:33 pm

To current students, and preferably graduates, from talking to a lot of friends who are lawyers currently and reading these forums the major stress is "network, network, network" while in law school. I obviously understand what networking is, but curious as to what "networking" is in law school. Networking with the other people who don't have jobs and are students? Or getting a summer job and talking to as many people in the firm as possible networking.

Anyways if anyone can shed some light on what they recommend to do as "law school networking" I'd appreciate some insight.

Background would be I'm a 0L maybe attending a TT although on the fence still. I'm fully aware of the job prospects, the 50/50 coin flip employment likeliness and all the other lovely jewels of the job market. I want to get into litigation.

Cheers

rinkrat19

Re: Networking

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:38 pm

Reaching out to lawyers at local firms (alums are good) and asking them for advice and developing a relationship with them. Talking to lawyers who visit your school for various events and turning them into a contact, making sure they'll remember you when recruitment time comes around.

I suck at it, but I know the theories. :P

TooOld4This

Postby TooOld4This » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:10 pm

Successful networking generally involves seeking relationships, not outcomes.

You shouldn't network to get a job, you should network before you need toget one. This means talking to people as an 0L and early in your 1L career and then building from there. Figure out what people do ask for advice. Listen. Say thank you. Most of what you do will not lead to any results. But it will educate you, so when you are talking to someone who is in the position to hire you, you don't sound like an idiot.

Most early contacts won't lead anywhere, but some you can follow up with. For example, if you talk to someone 0L summer and you sort of clicked, 1L spring, you can follow up and say that now that you have had a semester of law school, you think you are interested on X, and do they have suggestions of people you should talk to.

The key to the easiest networking is to reach out to people off cycle--when you it shows you are doing homework and not just desperately looking for a job.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:16 pm

Join a bunch of clubs. Go to all the social events. Make friends with practicing lawyers and with law students who are good at networking (you'll recognize them - born politicians usually). Later, when u are looking for a job they'll be there for you. For an in depth discussion I recommend "Spleen's guide to success at a Strong regional.". You will find it under TLS content competitions.

sf_39

Postby sf_39 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:47 pm

spleenworship wrote:Join a bunch of clubs. Go to all the social events. Make friends with practicing lawyers and with law students who are good at networking (you'll recognize them - born politicians usually). Later, when u are looking for a job they'll be there for you. For an in depth discussion I recommend "Spleen's guide to success at a Strong regional.". You will find it under TLS content competitions.

Thanks, I looked it up and was very helpful. This may sound like a dumb question, but what do you consider a "regional"? Is it basically all T2s and/or schools out of the top 50?

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:53 pm

sf_39 wrote:
spleenworship wrote:Join a bunch of clubs. Go to all the social events. Make friends with practicing lawyers and with law students who are good at networking (you'll recognize them - born politicians usually). Later, when u are looking for a job they'll be there for you. For an in depth discussion I recommend "Spleen's guide to success at a Strong regional.". You will find it under TLS content competitions.

Thanks, I looked it up and was very helpful. This may sound like a dumb question, but what do you consider a "regional"? Is it basically all T2s and/or schools out of the top 50?

Its a school that places well in its state and/or nearby states but has close to zero national reach (i.e. one or two of the top of the class might go to a nearby biglaw market... maybe). And by well I mean that 60% or more of their grads get JD required full time positions within 9 months.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”