E&E 0L Summer

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
akasabian

E&E 0L Summer

Postby akasabian » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:33 pm

Note: I know there are mixed opinions on whether you should read anything the summer prior to 1L, that's not what I'm asking for feedback on.

If I did decide to introduce myself to at least some of the reasoning/thinking through reading one of the E&Es or hornbooks or whatever else it may be, what would be a good introduction/relatively easy introduction? I've heard E&E torts would be a good intro, but wondering what others say.

resilience99

Re: E&E 0L Summer

Postby resilience99 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:39 pm

tag

KD35

Postby KD35 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:32 am

Tagged as well

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:35 am

This is a waste of time.

KD35

Postby KD35 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:40 am

Bronck wrote:This is a waste of time.

Why?

ca$hmoney69

Postby ca$hmoney69 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:34 pm

I would say the risk of learning something wrong or out of context is pretty high. If that happens you will be worse off than your fellow 1Ls who haven't done any 0L prep.

mephistopheles

Postby mephistopheles » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:37 pm

don't let these peons deter you, soon-to-be number 1 law student!

i'd read an e&e for each doctrinal class, and if i had time, maybe start prepping for 2L and 3L class.

i heard fed tax is a bitch.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:37 pm

I recommend the E&E on conflicts of laws. It's pretty good and is a pretty good example of what you'll be doing 1L.

SportsFan

Postby SportsFan » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:41 pm

If you really want to do 0L prep, I'd figure out what classes you're gonna have first summer, and pick up the E&E's (or whatever is recommended) for those classes.

Really though, you may as well wait until the semester starts. Spend your 0L summer learning the 'procedural' side of things (like, what is an outline, how do I make one, how do I take a law school exam, etc.) rather than substantive stuff (like what are the elements of a tort, etc.). You'll likely have plenty of free time the first 2-3 weeks of the semester until legal writing starts getting intense.

sf_39

Postby sf_39 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:46 pm

I'm a 0L as well and thought I'd pick up the contracts one because, well, I was interested in the material and just to see what it was like. Got through it with a little here and there in 2.5 weeks but I'm certainly not doing another one. Just about every LS student or lawyer has told me to do jack and enjoy my freedom and I plan to do just that.

northwood

Postby northwood » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:56 pm

going into 1L I wish I did do some prep: I wish I was able to talk to current 2L's ( rising 3L's) and those that just graduated to get a better idea of thejob outlook at the school, since there was less transparency with job data. I also wish that I took a hard look at the amountof interest 120K makes, and how long it will take to pay it off, and then actually attempted to take a current budget and see how much money I needed to continue living like I do just then. Then I wish I read more into the emotiona toll and stressers that law school and actual practicing of the law does to a person.

Then I would get drunk for a week and ask myself " are you sure this is the profession for you- and you don't want to do anything else?"

Then, if I was okay with the outcomes, I'd read a book that I enjoyed, got my resume all polished and ready to go. But if I was unsure, I would not go.

No need for actual substantive prep

and definitely do not learn latin... you don't need it

Mr. Frodo

Postby Mr. Frodo » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:59 pm

northwood wrote:going into 1L I wish I did do some prep: I wish I was able to talk to current 2L's ( rising 3L's) and those that just graduated to get a better idea of thejob outlook at the school, since there was less transparency with job data. I also wish that I took a hard look at the amountof interest 120K makes, and how long it will take to pay it off, and then actually attempted to take a current budget and see how much money I needed to continue living like I do just then. Then I wish I read more into the emotiona toll and stressers that law school and actual practicing of the law does to a person.

Then I would get drunk for a week and ask myself " are you sure this is the profession for you- and you don't want to do anything else?"

Then, if I was okay with the outcomes, I'd read a book that I enjoyed, got my resume all polished and ready to go. But if I was unsure, I would not go.

No need for actual substantive prep

and definitely do not learn latin... you don't need it

Took 5 years of latin... it's not as helpful as you'd think.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”